Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I shoot vertically, can't figure out why

I shoot vertically, can't figure out why

What distance?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-25-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Not far, maybe abit over 10 ft? 15ft max. But it also happens with lets say 6 rounds. It almost "walks"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    Not far, maybe abit over 10 ft? 15ft max. But it also happens with lets say 6 rounds. It almost "walks"
    A video of you shooting would be the most useful thing since there are a couple possibilities.

If consistently up from initial point of impact it may be "heeling" aka "milking - squeezing / increasing pressure with the firing hand as you are pulling the trigger / breaking the shot. This causes the heel of your firing hand to push on the lower part of the back strap in turn pushing the muzzle up.

If it's true lateral stringing (shots pushed both up and down) it could be a visual issue or it could be instability caused by weak shoulders or core.

Can't say without watching what you are doing. I did not see you say if this was slow fire or rapid fire.

A few thoughts to consider:

Good on you for accepting that you have something going on that needs to be remedied. Many of the "good enough" shooters would be happy with your group, especially the individuals who think all rounds on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of copy paper wins a gunfight.

You said that you new relatively new at this. For reference purposes a good shooter can keep all 20 shots in one ragged hole that can be covered with a quarter at 3 to 5 yards and beyond.

Failure to aim at the same spot and focusing on previous target impacts. If you have the tendency to shoot high and you aim at the previous impact you will string your rounds upward. Those "Shoot & See" targets are way to tempting for many to stay on their sights.

If trigger control issues are involved they can be discovered with a ball & dummy drill. Keep in mind that at 3 to 5 yards a lot of problems can be masked by the geometry. You just are not far enough from the target for angular distortion to have a significant impact. Eventually you will need to increase your distance from the target to learn more.

Consistent improper sight alignment (front sight too high). Looks like you have the equal light part under control. Equal height??

You should go here: https://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter3.htm and study this and apply the principles.

I recommend you watch this.

Local range

If you hang out at your local range and see someone who looks like they know what they’re doing (on targets, not just based on what gear they are wearing)…

If you complement them on their shooting and smile in a non creepy way while you ask for help, 99/100 times they will help you identify a big error.

Here’s my two cents.

Change targets and don’t shoot a bajillion rounds on the same one. That way you can tell if your aim is drifting because the center hole is migrating upwards as you shoot it out.

If you take a blank sheet of copy paper and make two black sharpie circles towards edges in the middle and only shoot 5 rounds on each target you can get a sense of it was a vision issue or a fatigue issue causing the rounds to lift.

Assuming you’re with irons, white paper with black circle is better visually for improvement and resolution of front sight than black target with black irons.

Thanks everyone! Some awesome feedback here. My buddy (from looking at this) thinks it might be a flinching issue, what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Some awesome feedback here. My buddy (from looking at this) thinks it might be a flinching issue, what do you guys think?
    It's good that you are considering this, because in my experience pre-ignition push is a much bigger problem in shooters of all levels than trigger discipline. Typically when people try to fight recoil during firing or return the gun to target before it's fired (pre-ignition push), there is a strong low left or right pattern. So, I kind of doubt that's what your issue is. But you can investigate:

Load gun, remove magazine, "shoot" two shots. Only the first shot will be live. The second will be dry. Watch the sights very carefully during both trigger presses.

As @JCN suggested, it may be as simple as not looking (and aiming) at the same place on the target during each shot. I like 15yds for basic group shooting.

You're not shooting a Gen1 M&P, are you (sort of joking on this one)?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's good that you are considering this, because in my experience pre-ignition push is a much bigger problem in shooters of all levels than trigger discipline. Typically when people try to fight recoil during firing or return the gun to target before it's fired (pre-ignition push), there is a strong low left or right pattern. So, I kind of doubt that's what your issue is. But you can investigate:

Load gun, remove magazine, "shoot" two shots. Only the first shot will be live. The second will be dry. Watch the sights very carefully during both trigger presses.

As @JCN suggested, it may be as simple as not looking (and aiming) at the same place on the target during each shot. I like 15yds for basic group shooting.

Thanks! I am not lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

He said he was shooting at 10-15 feet so I think 15 yards might be a big ask.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    He said he was shooting at 10-15 feet so I think 15 yards might be a big ask.
    Bigger target?

User Tag List