Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I shoot vertically, can't figure out why

I shoot vertically, can't figure out why

For starters I hope this is the correct subforum. So I noticed that when I am shooting my groupings usually start going upwards a little bit in a straight line. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here, any tips?

Possibly “heeling” your grip. Also, perhaps subconsciously anticipating recoil, so like in the movies you start moving your muzzle northward, because your “mind” has pre-determined that is what is supposed to happen when a handgun recoils. Suggest ball & dummy exercise.

How much do you know about follow through and how many sight pictures you should get in a string of 10?

What ranges are you shooting at? What size groups? Can you post a picture or video of you shooting? How fast would you say you were shooting? (Once per second? Once every two seconds?) Are you shooting typical 9mm ball ammo? Or something zippier like +p? What does your grip look like? How hard would you say you are holding the pistol? How are you standing? Upright? Or in a slightly knees bent, "fighter" stance?

There's lots of very good shooters here (I'm not one; but I am good at asking questions. ) The more info you can provide, similar to the above, the more they'll likely be able to point you in the right direction.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    You'll probably get a shit ton of guesses, and that's all they are without more info, but here's mine: Are you watching the sights or are you looking over the sights to try and see your hits? Are you letting the gun settle out of recoil before firing again?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Equal height, equal light. Focus on the front sight.

See 1:53 - 2:23 in this video. Maybe you lose your focus on the front sight and then you don't have equal height.

PS:
    And as Jerry Miculek says: Trigger press is more important than sight alignment.

So most important is: Increase the pressure on the trigger continuously and in the right direction (I press with my trigger finger in the direction of the tip of my nose).
    2nd most important: Focus on the front sight. Equal height, equal light.

The exact position of the sights on the target is less important than some people think. Tolerate a little wobble, just increase the pressure on the trigger. But you should have "equal height, equal light".

Call the shot. That is: Say where you just hit the target before you verify it on the target.
    Last edited by P30; 08-24-2021 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    For starters I hope this is the correct subforum. So I noticed that when I am shooting my groupings usually start going upwards a little bit in a straight line. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here, any tips?
    Can you send us a target? What distance? How large is the spread?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Does this happen with all guns?

Yes happens with all guns. This is an example of 20 rounds.

Name:  0D6A6CC9-2E22-4DE8-AD66-E09A5B9EFAE3.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  55.0 KBName:  2F48B6AB-D8EC-420B-948D-CABEBCD37AEE.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  51.9 KB

Also I've only been taking this seriously for a handful of months so easy on me LOL

User Tag List