Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Bill Drill

The 2.0-second Bill Drill is considered by many to be a standard test of Master-level shooting. That said, I can't pull off a sub-2 Bill Drill on demand, without concealment. I can usually get 2.25, but I've only broken 2.0 clean a handful of times. I've been training and competing seriously for six years, three years focusing on Production pistols.

It's a good drill, although it does eat up the ammo fast. There's nothing better for developing your grip and stance, and learning to manage recoil and read the sights.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

But that's cool since I already have my excuses lined up.
    As we say in the airplane world-------excuses should come "early and often."

Site Supporter
    I watched one of my co-workers do a BD at 1.57 seconds yesterday with all six in the A zone. He did it with a Glock 19 from a Blade Tech kydex (unconcealed). Blew my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I watched one of my co-workers do a BD at 1.57 seconds yesterday with all six in the A zone. He did it with a Glock 19 from a Blade Tech kydex (unconcealed). Blew my mind...

HOLY crap!!!!! What was his first shot time/ split time??
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Wow.

At what distance are people doing these bill drills? Are you saying he drew from a holster and fired 6 shots into the A-zone of a standard IPSC target at 7 yards (Or 10 yards? How far away was the target?) in 1.57 seconds?

That's amazing. Even with a 0.65 second draw (which is TGO-fast) that still means 0.18 second splits for the entire run.
    Last edited by jthhapkido; 03-28-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: edited because I couldn't do math

Clarification Please

[quote]Six shots are fired as quickly as the shooter can achieve six hits on the target. The drill teaches sight tracking, proper visual reference, recoil management, and trigger manipulation.[\quote]

I'm looking for some clarification on the above. Do hits ANYWHERE on target count or do they have to hit in a certain scoring zone.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

The "classic" Bill Drill was 6 shots at an 8 inch circle at 10 yards. What it's become now is 6 shots at a target of a given size at a certain distance. So you could do a Bill Drill on a full sized IPSC target and count the whole target if your goal is to just spray bullets, or count only the A-zone, etc.

Thanks, Time to buy some 8" paper plates.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Here is a link to a list of Drill's, this is were I got info on the Bill drill and others.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/HandgunDrills.pdf

#5 Bill Drill (after Bill Wilson)
    Teaches: draw, grip, rapid-fire, recoil control, "adequate" rather than "perfect" sight picture.
    With one IPSC target 7 yards away, start from surrender position, draw, and fire 6 shots into the A-
    zone. If any shots miss the A-zone, the time does not count, so the emphasis is on accuracy before
    speed.
    Brian Enos puts master-level time for this Drill as 2.0 seconds.
    Variations: for a beginner, bring the target as close as 8 feet, or start from low ready instead of
    holstered. Shoot as fast as you can while keeping the shots in the A-zone and keeping a feeling of
    control over the gun. The point is to get used to the feeling of controlled rapid fire, learning to watch
    the sight, and familiarizing yourself with rapid-fire recoil characteristics. Drawing from the holster
    helps you to learn to acquire a good shooting grip; otherwise the gun will start to feel out of control. If
    you are missing the A-zone, you're making mistakes. SLOW DOWN and do it right. This Drill can be
    a real ammo burner.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List