Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bill Drill

The Bill Drill

I use the "Bill Drill" as a Cold test on the range, From a AIWB running a GLock 35, I can do it in the . 2.2-2.4 range. ( on a good day)

What I want to know is for those of you that can do it in under 2 seconds from concealment how long did it take before you got to that bench mark?

Who else run this drill cold?
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

We are diminished
    To this day I don't know that I would guarantee I could step up and shoot a Bill Drill clean in 2, especially cold.

I've shot a couple of 1.9ish Bill Drills under various circumstances, and like Todd I wouldn't guarantee that I could do it cold. For me, shooting a continuous string of six shots is really difficult; because I don't really practice bill drills but instead practice mostly shooting 2 shots on multiple targets, I usually start to fall apart around shot #4 on the bill drill.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    practice mostly shooting 2 shots on multiple targets, I usually start to fall apart around shot #4 on the bill drill.

From "real" concealment the best I can consistently pull off cold is around 2.5-2.75 sec..
    I smashed my right index finger years ago and the scar tissue only moves at .21 sec. and my orangutan arms take 1.5 to go from holster to full extension.
    So I doubt I'll ever see a sub-2 Bill Drill.
    But that's cool since I already have my excuses lined up.

It is nice to see someone like ToddG come out and tell you that even HE can't do it every time. Given the large amount of ammo he burns every year, it would seem that the Average Joe isn't going to get there.

I am going to look at my practice and training much different from now on. I am going to look for IMPROVEMENT, and not focus so much on the actual time. As long as I am heading in the right direction (either better hits, or good hits in a shorter time), then I will have deemed it worthwhile.

I used to try and beat the timer (even though nobody would call me fast ), but now, especially with ammo cost these days, I am going to focus on fundamentals and the quality of the time I spend on the range.

Also, you kind of need to adjust your target, as I think the whole sub-2 second target was from guys using more of a race holster (at least built for access, not concealment) and no cover garment.

And just so you feel better - I think you would smoke me on that drill!

I agree with John.

Since I just recently found this and the pistol-training.com site, I've discovered I'm pretty well behind the curve. I haven't had any formal training for several years now and good instructors are hard to find near here. On my next range trip I plan on shooting some of these drills so I can get a baseline of where I'm at currently. In all honesty, I'm not expecting much. I don't currently have a timer, so I'm hoping on of the timer apps I've downloaded on my Droid will work.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

For me to get under 2 seconds from concealment (actually I've never tried it unconcealed) I had to switch to AIWB and enjoy a faster first shot. My splits are typically .2. I have not been able to consistently reach faster splits. It was the draw to first shot that made the difference - went from about 1.25-ish from strong side to .85-ish from AIWB. I also have to hit the grip correctly.

A more relevant result is probably when I do it in front of peers/students etc., and often get tense and miss the initial grip, which puts my first shot at about 1.2 to 1.3 and the total time about 2.2 to 2.3 seconds. I also often have one or two shots out of the -0 zone. I do not always shoot it clean. When all that comes together, I get about 1.85, maybe clean, or maybe one or two shots slightly out.

Prdator, what's the breakdown in your time on the Bill Drill? What time is the first shot? Faster first shot is what's getting me under 2 seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

I lol'd.

Gaming is going to get me killed if I ever get in a real gunfight!

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Gaming is going to get me killed if I ever get in a real gunfight!
    Always does. Goes without saying.

User Tag List