Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you’re thinking about getting into wet tumbling, the FART is on sale

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yes, but this is cheaper:
    https://www.saveoncitric.com/died1lb.html

Don't forget, you also need washing soda (not baking soda)
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Name:  809078E1-2291-4F5B-91BF-B059B4D6BC7D.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  93.0 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    All I read was wet fart. Not sure why I clicked.
    Yeah, I had to find out what ‘wet’ was being discussed. Thought maybe it was going to be some cautionary tale about ‘wet work.’
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Been thinking about wet tumbling. I have a sonic cleaner and a dry tumbler -- neither of which do a good job on primer pockets. The sonic cleaners already requires drying (200 degrees on a cookie sheet in the oven for a couple of hours does the job). At least from what I see on YouTube, wet tumbling with Dawn and steel pins makes the brass look brand new. Comments/thoughts on wet tumbling vs other methods?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

It depends.

With pistol brass, I will throw the dirty brass into a bucket of warm water with a little lemishine and dish soap for about an hour. I don't decap first and do not care about primer pockets.

I rinse off the brass and then lay it on a towel to dry overnight. This takes a good amount of the crud off. After that I run it in the dry tumbler for about an hour. This puts a little polish back on the squeaky clean brass.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I have a sonic cleaner and a dry tumbler -- neither of which do a good job on primer pockets. ... At least from what I see on YouTube, wet tumbling with Dawn and steel pins makes the brass look brand new.
    The pins are a PITA, but using them will make nasty cases look like were just struck by the die, inside, outside, primer pockets, even the writing of the headstamp. But wet tumbling without the pins makes for some really pretty brass. And since the advent of the Lee APP I have even been sizing 9mm with case lube, and with the primers punched pistol cases laying on their sides will be dry overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The pins are a PITA, but using them will make nasty cases look like were just struck by the die, inside, outside, primer pockets,
    Agree, I put the FART on my Christmas list.

I decided to clean all my nasty .38 brass and sized/de-primed about 1,200 cases. Can’t argue with how clean. It’s amazing how easily primers seat in a nice, clean pocket.

The pins are a PITA and make me tense as I worry about some getting left in a case. I’ll be buying the gin that fits on a 5-gallon bucket.

Site Supporter
    Some have said that wrong size pins can get stuck in primer flash holes.

I just bought the Franklin Armory wet/dry media separator. I like it better than the 5 gallon bucket version that I have. I like to fill the small bucket that came with it with water and let the ball sit around 1/3 of the way in the water. That keeps the pins under water and makes them fall down into the bucket. When I was using the 5 gallon bucket method I had to fill the bucket really full. That made a bigger mess when I was messing with the bucket.

User Tag List