Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you’re thinking about getting into wet tumbling, the FART is on sale

[Beavis]So wet FARTs are where it’s at?[/Butthead]
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I was thinking Mad Scientist, but close enough.😁
    https://youtu.be/IpiHCZHGbF8?t=181
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My goal was to eliminate lead contamination from dry tumbling, and also not pollute the environment with the washing solution. From the papers I’ve read on washing lead contaminated soil, you need a ~2 millimolar solution of EDTA to chelate the lead. Roughly, that works out to 1 gram of EDTA per liter of water. Apparently you need to titrate the water to pH 8 in order for the EDTA to dissolve. After tumbling, I think we can just discard the solution since the lead is bound to the EDTA.

1/8 tsp washing soda per gal of hot tap water brings pH above 8. Then I add 1 tsp of EDTA for approx 4 mMol solution. To that, I add Lemishine and Wash-n-Wax, and pour that gallon into the brass-filled FART. It's working well so far.
    Does the strength of the solution need to change based off how much lead is in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Does the strength of the solution need to change based off how much lead is in the water?
    Since I'm a mad scientist, not a real environmental chemist, I can't answer that with certainty.

My recipe is hopefully better than nothing. The 4 mMol EDTA concentration is double that used for remediating lead contaminated soil.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

How do you like that brass drying machine? Living in the desert, I generally just lay mine out on an old cookie sheet with a paper tower under them in the sun, but on occasion it does rain here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My goal was to eliminate lead contamination from dry tumbling, and also not pollute the environment with the washing solution. From the papers I’ve read on washing lead contaminated soil, you need a ~2 millimolar solution of EDTA to chelate the lead. Roughly, that works out to 1 gram of EDTA per liter of water. Apparently you need to titrate the water to pH 8 in order for the EDTA to dissolve. After tumbling, I think we can just discard the solution since the lead is bound to the EDTA.

1/8 tsp washing soda per gal of hot tap water brings pH above 8. Then I add 1 tsp of EDTA for approx 4 mMol solution. To that, I add Lemishine and Wash-n-Wax, and pour that gallon into the brass-filled FART. It's working well so far.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    What “recipe” do you use? I’ve been using lemishine and armorall car wash n wax.
    I've been wet tumbling for years, using ceramic media. I don't think you need a magic recipe. I add a little dish soap to the water, and sometimes will add Lemishine. If you only use the soap and water without the media, it cleans the brass but doesn't make it super shiny. It also won't get all the junk out of the primer pockets.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    How do you like that brass drying machine? Living in the desert, I generally just lay mine out on an old cookie sheet with a paper tower under them in the sun, but on occasion it does rain here.
    I like it quite a bit--especially because I don't deprime pistol brass before tumbling. 3 hours in the Lyman Cyclone does the trick.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Heh - In Florida, it would NEVER dry...

I am in Ohio, and always have enough lead time to just let it dry laid out in the basement:
    - Pistol brass without primers laid on their side could probably be loaded the next morning
    - Rifle brass without primers laying on their side I give a couple days or so
    - Rifle brass I am in a hurry for I will leave overnight vertical in a loading block (typically smaller quantities)
    - Pistol brass with primers I leave on their sides on a towel for several days, sometimes I was doing more business travel I would make a point to do a batch before I left

ETA: All this is without pins, the only time I needed to use the pins was on some cheap brass that was so bad, when I got it I considered just discarding it. The pins made it look like they had just fallen out of the die, but haven't used them since.

Tumbling some .357/.38.

#RESIST

User Tag List