Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: If you’re thinking about getting into wet tumbling, the FART is on sale

The pins are easiest removed when the case is under water so the waters surface tension doesn't prevent the pins from falling out when using a rotary media separator. You can separate the pins from the cases manually by simply holding the case under water, and allowing the pins to fall out. This only works when the cases are submerged in water.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

For those worried about pins stuck in brass. The pins are steel and the brass isn't...

Name:  61gf81.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  40.4 KB

Depends on your setup, but using a media separator like @Flamingo posted, then take a strong magnet and wave it over your brass. In theory you could "suck up" any cases with pins in them. You'd have to experiment with how strong and close the magnet needs to be. You could also just setup a magnet on your bench and invert your cases as you put them into a case feeder or dryer, or do any other processing with them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    For those worried about pins stuck in brass. The pins are steel and the brass isn't...

Name:  61gf81.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  40.4 KB

Depends on your setup, but using a media separator like @Flamingo posted, then take a strong magnet and wave it over your brass. In theory you could "suck up" any cases with pins in them. You'd have to experiment with how strong and close the magnet needs to be. You could also just setup a magnet on your bench and invert your cases as you put them into a case feeder or dryer, or do any other processing with them.
    There you get getting all scienc-y on us again. Sheesh!

been wet tumbling for 10+ yrs. Used a Lortone rock tumbler, tried FA, like the Hornady best. I use RCBS brass solution additive with a teaspoon of lemishine. Run the first load for a hour, then rinse and change solution. Run another hour. No rinse, leave the solution on it the separater, then to a food dehydrator. Excellent, like new appearance. Leaving the solution on without rinse retards tarnish.

Another problem is separating the pins in the water. They make this magnetic gadget:
    https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/cas...et/909271.html

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Another problem is separating the pins in the water. They make this magnetic gadget:
    https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/cas...et/909271.html
    I have one of these, pour most of the water out before using this, and drop your pins on a towel to dry. Water inside the magnet will eventually cause it to rust.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

With all this talk about separating the pins, I thought I might mention that we had a pretty good thread about not using the pins. When I went to look for it, it had drifted back to page 13 so maybe some folks have not noticed it:

Wet tumbling sans SS pins, with near SS pins results!

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp;[URL="tel:1309831"
    1309831[/URL]]I have one of these, pour most of the water out before using this, and drop your pins on a towel to dry. Water inside the magnet will eventually cause it to rust.
    Put a baggie over the magnet while in use. Works for me.

Also, I discovered this product to replace the Dawn Lemishine mixture.
    https://www.thereloadingstation.com/...uice-case-wash

Pleased with the results and it lasts a long time.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Do it without pins and it will work just fine. Pins are a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    Do it without pins and it will work just fine. Pins are a hassle.
    ^^^This. I have never used pins.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List