Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need replacement RMR screws: factory or aftermarket?

Need replacement RMR screws: factory or aftermarket?

Long story but I had to drill out one of the factory RMR screws on my M&P CORE. I was surprised to find neither Brownells nor Midway sell replacements. Or if they do, they’re well hidden but that’s not important right now.

Should I just contact Leupold for replacements or pop for some of the $6/ea from one of the aftermarket vendors? I’ve seen threads about buying a box from McMaster-Carr but I’m just maintaining a fleet of one currently with the outside chance of a couple others later on down the road.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you have to buy three or four screws, that box of 100 plus freight will come out to less.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I got a box of 100 from the local Ace Hardware. Was surprised they had what I needed.

Hmmm, there’s an Ace on my way home and I need to stop in one day this week anyway. If they don’t have any, Fastenal/Mc-C here I come! Thanks!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Odds are, if you need to replace one screw, you will need to replace more. I would go the the McMaster thread and get a whole box of the right screws with the Torx head, as they cost about the same as two screws from Trijicon. I would also get some Fix it Sticks, and proper bits.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would also get some Fix it Sticks, and proper bits.
    So that’s what kicked this shit show off to begin with.

I threw a Fat Wrench in my cart on a Brownell’s/Midway/Amazon order one day. When it came in The Good Idea Fairy thought it would be prudent to remount the screws on my CORE. I set it to 15 in/lb (IIRC) just to get a feel for how it works and the cheap bit it came with twisted right off in the screw head.

I put it off to the side and just shot it at the range occasionally thinking/hoping the broken tip would just work itself out. Obviously that didn’t happen so I just let it ride until a couple of weeks ago when the battery finally died. My first attempt with a tiny drill bit didn’t do any good trying to get just the broken tip out so I just had to trash the whole screw.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So that’s what kicked this shit show off to begin with.

I threw a Fat Wrench in my cart on a Brownell’s/Midway/Amazon order one day. When it came in The Good Idea Fairy thought it would be prudent to remount the screws on my CORE. I set it to 15 in/lb (IIRC) just to get a feel for how it works and the cheap bit it came with twisted right off in the screw head.

I put it off to the side and just shot it at the range occasionally thinking/hoping the broken tip would just work itself out. Obviously that didn’t happen so I just let it ride until a couple of weeks ago when the battery finally died. My first attempt with a tiny drill bit didn’t do any good trying to get just the broken tip out so I just had to trash the whole screw.
    Hey, at least you got the screw out yourself!

It was touch and go for a couple of days until I realized the non-marring jaws on my vise also fit the small machinist-style vise on my drill press. Much better, faster and less nerve wracking than the cordless drills I have.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It was touch and go for a couple of days until I realized the non-marring jaws on my vise also fit the small machinist-style vise on my drill press. Much better, faster and less nerve wracking than the cordless drills I have.
    With a buggered screw, I have had good luck pounding a Torx bit in and having enough bite to back the screw out.

Please post the screw size you need. I’ve placed a few mcmaster orders…

User Tag List