Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any S&W 686 guys in here?

Mine gets worked out fairly regularly, mostly to keep my trigger work more honest.

It’s a 4” 686-5 P with no keyhole and Hogue grip, from circa 1997 or so. Action work by SPC is really slick, one of the smoother DA’s I’ve shot and a ridiculously crisp SA- it is truly a tack driver if I do my part.

I think it cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 back in 2000 or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well worth the $600!

So fun to shoot. My first -6 I wanted new. But my next one will have no lock

No x81s? I love this one, gets to go to the range frequently

I've had one 686 or another since shortly after they were introduced. The last, a -5, has an auxiliary cylinder fitted by a gentleman named Vito at S&W, who has since retired. I had one of the cylinders rechambered for 9MM. So I guess I'm one of those 686 guys
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter

I dont get to shoot it as much as I want lately but it is a tack driver.

The 642 has a fresh cerakote and hardchrome refinish, street action job and cylinder chamfer by APW Cogan. Excellent work and a wonderful trigger. I beat the crap out of it as an EDC and BUG as well as many rounds.

Name:  Smith and Wesson Wheelies.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  64685AD5-0707-481E-A508-45FA30F09827.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  91.2 KB

686 my mom bought for me in the mid 80s. It’s in my son’s safe now.

I have a ton of good memories tied to that revolver.

First gun purchase was a 686 (-2 I think) for $350ish brand new back in the early 90's. Other guns have come and gone but this one will never be sold by me.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

First gun I ever bought as an adult was the 681 no dash in the early 80's, it made the recall trip but has never given a moment's trouble and the accuracy is so consistent I could never find a way to rank the chambers and stamp one. Gave it to my Dad and eventually came back to me when he went to heaven.

If a full power .357 round is the thing to be launched I find these to be the best balanced hand launchers out there.

Name:  L frames.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  45.2 KB

Nice seeing all these -5s. Still pre-lock, but after the new frame cutover so current production parts will work. The hammer will show a gap where the lock engages, but at least S&W will still service them. Also when they started pinning the front sight so it was replaceable.

If you got an early enough -5 there was a brief period where the new hammers (no nose) that work with the frame mounted firing pin were still forged even on the non-PC guns.

Guys, whats a good sized carry revolver (for winter)? So big jackets etc

User Tag List