Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do trigger safeties work? (VP9 for example)

How do trigger safeties work? (VP9 for example)

So I see the safety on the trigger, and I see the sear blocking the striker. But how does it all work internally? If the striker were to let go, would that sear stop it from hitting firing a round? Just curious because Im looking to make this my winter carry

Safety systems in the VP9:

-The trigger pre-travel disengages a rotary striker block in the slide. The timing of the engagement pawl on the trigger bar, engaging the pin on the rotary safety, maintains the blocking function right up to the wall of the trigger.

-The striker cannot pass through the breechface under any circumstance unless the trigger is pulled. If the striker sear engagement to the striker were to fail (mechanically or otherwise) the striker would be stopped by the striker block, so long as the trigger is not pulled.

-The trigger cannot be pulled without depressing the trigger safety, so a violent drop cannot inertially actuate the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    So I see the safety on the trigger, and I see the sear blocking the striker. But how does it all work internally?
    Name:  8676B416-8875-44F0-AF3E-2956883C48E0.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  58.8 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The Glock "trigger safety" really performs a drop safety function - it prevents the trigger bar from moving under inertia.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Safety systems in the VP9:

-The trigger pre-travel disengages a rotary striker block in the slide. The timing of the engagement pawl on the trigger bar, engaging the pin on the rotary safety, maintains the blocking function right up to the wall of the trigger.

-The striker cannot pass through the breechface under any circumstance unless the trigger is pulled. If the striker sear engagement to the striker were to fail (mechanically or otherwise) the striker would be stopped by the striker block, so long as the trigger is not pulled.

-The trigger cannot be pulled without depressing the trigger safety, so a violent drop cannot inertially actuate the trigger.
    So I noticed the striker block isn't directly infront of striker, meaning there has to be a piece off set on the striker (Im assuming plastic) If that were to snap, wouldn't it freely go past that block?

Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    So I noticed the striker block isn't directly infront of striker, meaning there has to be a piece off set on the striker (Im assuming plastic) If that were to snap, wouldn't it freely go past that block?
    Why would you assume H&K would use plastic for a structural part of the actual striker?

It’s a (slightly over-engineered) solid piece of steel, integral to the striker itself. It is the same part of the striker that engages the sear catch. If you examine the VP9 striker pin you’ll notice the overbuilt nature of this part, particularly compared to, say, a P320.

Here’s the neat part.

If it were to somehow completely shear off, the geometry dictates that it would be trapped between the striker channel, the annular flange on the rear of the striker, and the sear/sear block, and jam the striker in place. Which is arguably better than a ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Why would you assume H&K would use plastic for a structural part of the actual striker?

It’s a (slightly over-engineered) solid piece of steel, integral to the striker itself. It is the same part of the striker that engages the sear catch. If you examine the VP9 striker pin you’ll notice the overbuilt nature of this part, particularly compared to, say, a P320.

Here’s the neat part.

If it were to somehow completely shear off, the geometry dictates that it would be trapped between the striker channel, the annular flange on the rear of the striker, and the sear/sear block, and jam the striker in place. Which is arguably better than a ND.
    Fair, I wasn't sure and just assumed.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l-safety-issue

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Here you go:

Thats awesome!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The Glock "trigger safety" really performs a drop safety function - it prevents the trigger bar from moving under inertia.
    This ^^ the same is true of similar safeties in other guns including bolt action rifles such as the Ruger American.

User Tag List