Thread: Reversed Glock Mag Release

Reversed Glock Mag Release

I've been shooting a 4th Gen 17 in all of my IDPA and USPSA matches since Feb 2011. I make no bones about being that good at it yet. I am right handed but I decided that due to my smaller hand size I was going to move the magazine release to the right side of the gun. I was wondering for those of you that have done similar do you use your trigger finger to depress the mag release button or do you use your ring finger? Do you consider using one finger over the other to be safer and/or quicker? Or am I over thinking this?

I'm a righty, and i prefer to have the mag release on the right side.
    Index finger release.
    Worry less, practice more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

We are diminished
    I second F2S's comment: index finger. It will absolutely take some time for you to get used to it. But it's extremely fast and repeatable once you do (assuming your hand/finger size is compatible).

Part of the initial reason I went with a GEN 4 G17 for Production, was the ability to reverse the mag release. It's faster, and I don't have to adjust my grip to drop mags. Then I realized, that none of my other Glocks were setup that way. I didn't want to change a fundamental manipulation like dropping mags, for just one gun (especially if it's solely for gun games). I want all my Glocks to operate the same, so that under stress I don't have to think about which gun I'm shooting. If you only have guns that you can use your index finger to drop mags, go for it. If not, I'd reconsider.

I use my social finger (middle finger) on my M&P.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by MEAT View Post
    Part of the initial reason I went with a GEN 4 G17 for Production, was the ability to reverse the mag release. It's faster, and I don't have to adjust my grip to drop mags. Then I realized, that none of my other Glocks were setup that way. I didn't want to change a fundamental manipulation like dropping mags, for just one gun (especially if it's solely for gun games). I want all my Glocks to operate the same, so that under stress I don't have to think about which gun I'm shooting. If you only have guns that you can use your index finger to drop mags, go for it. If not, I'd reconsider.
    This line of reasoning is what has kept me from doing it until now but after watching some video of my shooting I noticed that while under the stress of a match I was using my weak (left hand) to drop the mag which made no sense to me because I have never once practiced that, never. And if you asked me after the stage I'd have told you that I used my right hand thumb but the video didn't lie. Somehow under stress my brain rewired itself. So I'm switching it to the right of the gun so I can hopefully force my brain to have to rewire itself. I just shot an IDPA match this morning and it seemed to go fine. I have a USPSA match tomorrow so I'll see what happens.

User Tag List