Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Vans (minivans, MPVs, cargo, passenger, crew, sprinter, transit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Picked it up yesterday.
    After about three weeks with the Connect I like it more than I expected to. I expected it to be pokey and boring, but maybe the gearing and shift points are set with the expectation of hauling plumbing fittings around, and it has more pep than I expected. After ~135k in my Focus ST with the turbo 2L I expected to be underwhelmed, but it has been kinda fun to drive around, very nimble with about the same wheelbase as the Focus (that it is sorta based from).

So far the only thing we did was install a mesh cargo bulkhead, and that is really just a pet barrier for keeping the sixty and eighty-five pound dogs out of the driver's lap. In the spring we will do some spiffy wheels and tires, might be handy that they are cross compatible with the Focus.

Not for nothing, but the present and immediately-preceding generations of Toyota Siennas are pretty highly regarded at work. They are a pretty bomber surveillance setup, especially with the middle seats removed. Further, like all dual-slider minivans in the fleet, they're pretty awesome vehicles for staging a vehicle assault team.

I grew up with parents running a fleet solely of minivans and full-size vans until long after I left the house, once the station wagon era passed in the late 80s, and learned how to drive in a 15-seat van; so there is no negative connotation for me with the idea of owning and/or driving one.

I've been very, very close to purchasing a cargo minivan for the last year and some, for moving tools and materials; but I've always had other things higher on the priority list for the cost or for the space. The short conclusions of my research are more or less:

Nissan NV200: non-viable
    Chevrolet City Express: non-viable
    Ram ProMaster City: non-viable
    Ford Transit Connect: viable... ish, in LWB, dual sliders, and cargo config
    Mercedes Metris: most viable but lowest availability; most-desirable config being dual-sliders and LWB

All of these options are no longer maintained in the United States, so everything's legacy as of this model year. The Metris has the highest capacity in length and volume, better MPG with premium gas and comparable MPG with regular, best turning radius, and yet doesn't hugely exceed the footprint for the Ford TC LWB. It's unfortunate that the current/last generation of Ford TCs didn't have the high roof option in this country; but ah, Ford strayed too close with their tarrif reduction scam and was a little too vocally proud on it all...

Anyways, that's been benched for now, as it'd be a pretty single function vehicle; and there several viable local options that satisfy the specification. With as many Merc Mets are in service with USPS presently, that ought to help with spare parts and maintenance, as availability of Mercedes dealerships is one of the factors that has buyers leaning towards the Ford TC. TCs are frankly fun to drive, and the previous generation in high-roof is about as much fun as you can have driving something with a pallet inserted into the back with out modification.

Presently doing a cost workup on a Toyota Sienna, current generation; as that would streamline many of the potential modifications desirable for a camper van that must address the needs for more than just myself. Required options will/would include AWD, the 1500W inverter that will spike the price significantly, the full-size spare tire and housing, and possibly the lift option, which if not purchased will be handled through spacers. I still have to fire up the CAD for it, but I think I can fit some near 5' long benches in the back, running along each side after I pull the 3rd row of seats; each bench then able to unfold flat and interlock with the other to create a sturdy bed platform. After that, a small power station to charge off of the van and handle higher draw appliances, an emergency toilet, a basic sink, a fridge, and some basic storage; and it'd be a pretty low-mod build. 80/20 track would provide for quite the weight-savings versus a plywood build, and having pull-out drawers that can be accessed from above have a lot of allure from the access-dynamic side of things. Further, with the ease of movement for the 2nd row of seats, one can height-match the bench-bed with the 2nd row for uninterrupted support to a mattress, without having the bed platform consume all available space or losing the ability to have a third +/- fourth occupant.

While I generally eschew roofrack storage because of the aerodynamic drag and access dynamic (e.g. I'm shorter than about every SUV out there), several strong options have been identified by the user base - namely the Thule Force XXL.

(There's only one company that I know of that can do a pop-top for a current generation Sienna, and one that *might* do a permanent high-roof mod, but at that point, that might call for a second vehicle just for the amount of time away at the shop and the inherent specialization that goes with such a mod.)

There's also been some really interesting work with a permanently attached rooftop panel, that in theory could ensure that even if you exhausted the gas in the tank, you'd be able to crawl your way to the next station, given appropriate weather and sunlight; and would stretch your time off of the beaten path while enjoying environmental control during your sleep cycle.

It's getting pretty difficult not to imagine consolidating the household fleet into a Sienna and RAV4 Hybrid (non-Prime).
    Jules
    Runcible Works

If I didn't need/want more interior headroom, and was considering a minivan, the Sienna would probably too my list, but I'd at least go drive one of these. They have some interesting features and I think they nailed the aesthetic.
    https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicles/c...-mpv/2024.html

Although, if I really thought I could get away with a lower interior height is probably just buy this.

400hp creeper van
    Thought you might be interested in this CarGurus listing:
    2022 GMC Savana LS 3500 RWD - $48,994 (NA)
    Mileage: 14,326
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/365905348
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Oh goddamn, even better in black!

New 2023 GMC Savana LS 2500 RWD - $48,925

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/367340885

Name:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  54.3 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Not for nothing, but the present and immediately-preceding generations of Toyota Siennas are pretty highly regarded at work. They are a pretty bomber surveillance setup, especially with the middle seats removed. Further, like all dual-slider minivans in the fleet, they're pretty awesome vehicles for staging a vehicle assault team....

Presently doing a cost workup on a Toyota Sienna, current generation; as that would streamline many of the potential modifications desirable for a camper van that must address the needs for more than just myself. Required options will/would include AWD, the 1500W inverter that will spike the price significantly, the full-size spare tire and housing, and possibly the lift option, which if not purchased will be handled through spacers. I still have to fire up the CAD for it, but I think I can fit some near 5' long benches in the back, running along each side after I pull the 3rd row of seats; each bench then able to unfold flat and interlock with the other to create a sturdy bed platform. After that, a small power station to charge off of the van and handle higher draw appliances, an emergency toilet, a basic sink, a fridge, and some basic storage; and it'd be a pretty low-mod build. 80/20 track would provide for quite the weight-savings versus a plywood build, and having pull-out drawers that can be accessed from above have a lot of allure from the access-dynamic side of things. Further, with the ease of movement for the 2nd row of seats, one can height-match the bench-bed with the 2nd row for uninterrupted support to a mattress, without having the bed platform consume all available space or losing the ability to have a third +/- fourth occupant.

While I generally eschew roofrack storage because of the aerodynamic drag and access dynamic (e.g. I'm shorter than about every SUV out there), several strong options have been identified by the user base - namely the Thule Force XXL.

(There's only one company that I know of that can do a pop-top for a current generation Sienna, and one that *might* do a permanent high-roof mod, but at that point, that might call for a second vehicle just for the amount of time away at the shop and the inherent specialization that goes with such a mod.)

There's also been some really interesting work with a permanently attached rooftop panel, that in theory could ensure that even if you exhausted the gas in the tank, you'd be able to crawl your way to the next station, given appropriate weather and sunlight; and would stretch your time off of the beaten path while enjoying environmental control during your sleep cycle.

It's getting pretty difficult not to imagine consolidating the household fleet into a Sienna and RAV4 Hybrid (non-Prime).
    I've been driving a hybrid 2021 Sienna at work delivering kids since September of 2023, if you've got questions I might be able to answer feel free to ask.

I haven't had chance to drive one with AWD, work one is FWD, but I definitely would recommend AWD and probably real snow tires for winter if you live someplace with real snow like we have hear in the midwest.

Work van has All season tires on it and I've been able to get around in snow storms, but even on dry pavement with current tires I've broke tires loose from a stop not trying to many times. And I've even switched it to the Eco setting, which basically just means you have to push accelerator farther for given amount of acceleration. Still have problems at times with inadvertent wheel spin from a stop on dry pavement.

I think it just has that much torque, though some of it might be the tires.

The car claims ~40 mpg but every time I've done the math its more like 30 mpg, it seems to be consistently off by ~10MPG, though bulk of drive time is picking up kids and lot of idling. IDK if the tires are original or if work swapped them out when they bought it new, I just started with this company in 2023 and though they bought it new think it was at different location (city) the first year.

Before I started working for this company there wasn't anyone driving it daily, it was more backup van and one mechanics or office people would grab for errands & etc.

Only has about 36k miles on it currently, but I am certainly driving it a lot more than it was before.

Edited to add, no complaints about the acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Although, if I really thought I could get away with a lower interior height is probably just buy this.
    I did not search extensively, this is only the first example I found, but this is still a thing. I am sure there are many options and many (closer) places that would do the installation and color match.

Name:  vantop.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  46.6 KB

ETA: Looks like more options here.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-14-2024 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I did not search extensively, this is only the first example I found, but this is still a thing. I am sure there are many options and many (closer) places that would do the installation and color match.

Name:  vantop.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  46.6 KB

ETA: Looks like more options here.
    Oh yeah, there's a goodly number of options there.

Another would be to just buy a van from Explorer although I get the sense that their QC is crap.

All I really want is a less-luxe version of this built on a Transit or even. Promaster, but it needs to be on the medium (former) or low (latter) roof.

https://www.luxuryautocollection.com...ebvy4nt108690/
    Name:  IMG_0806.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  40.6 KB

In an ideal world it would just have a ]smartfloor system with 6 removable seats (two rows of three that could be two rows of two, one row of three, one row of two, two rows of one, etc, ) and a Wrapon toilet in the last row. With an Engels on a slide-out tray…

Add a

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Oh goddamn, even better in black!

New 2023 GMC Savana LS 2500 RWD - $48,925

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/367340885

Name:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  54.3 KB
    oh man, it's en route to the dealer and still available! If only I thought I could make 55 inches of interior height work for me...

I think these things can tow like 6,700 lbs

list of features is surprising given the anachronism of the model

• <br /><br />KEY FEATURES INCLUDE<br />
    • Third Row Seat
    • Rear Air
    • Back-Up Camera
    • WiFi Hotspot.
    • GMC LS with Onyx Black exterior and Medium Pewter interior
    • features a 8 Cylinder Engine with 401 HP at 5200 RPM*.
    • <br /><br />OPTION PACKAGES<br />
    • ENHANCED CONVENIENCE PACKAGE includes
    • (ATG) Remote Keyless Entry
    • (BTV) Remote vehicle starter system
    • (L8T) 6.6L gas V8 engine
    • (P0V) 12 months of OnStar Vehicle Insights
    • (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment and
    • (ZQ3) Driver Convenience Package
    • ENGINE 6.6L V8 WITH DIRECT INJECTION and Variable Valve Timing gasoline (401 hp [299 kW] @ 5200 rpm 464 lb-ft of torque [629 N-m] @ 4000 rpm) Includes external engine oil cooler.
    • SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT
    • DRIVER CONVENIENCE PACKAGE includes
    • (N33) Tilt-Wheel and
    • (K34) cruise control
    • REAR PARK ASSIST with audible warning
    • FORWARD COLLISION ALERT (Includes (UFL) Lane Departure Warning.)
    • TRAILERING EQUIPMENT HEAVY-DUTY includes trailering hitch platform and dual 4-pin/7-pin sealed connector Includes (UY7) trailer wiring harness.)
    • SEATS FRONT BUCKET WITH CUSTOM CLOTH TRIM head restraints and inboard armrests Includes
    • (BA3) console with swing-out storage bin.
    • TRANSMISSION 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC HEAVY-DUTY ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes
    • Cruise Grade Braking
    • Powertrain Grade Braking and Tap-Up/Tap-Down Driver Shift Control
    • AUDIO SYSTEM AM/FM STEREO WITH MP3 PLAYER seek-and-scan digital clock TheftLock random select auxiliary jack and 2 front door speakers (STD).

A new option that just dropped for 4thGen Siennas: https://unicamp-usa.com/product/deta...-sienna-poptop

Hella sticker shock at $16k, but it looks like they're going the extra mile and reinforcing the mouth for structural purposes, and if it matches the previous poptop options it can be used both to extend the existing cabin space for standing and to have an overhead sleeping platform for when you've got guests.

One oddball though, offered here for lack of another venue where I participate; is that absent cargo vans, insulating within the interior panelwork seems to be a limited payoff option for how much goes into such a modification. Then you still have to accommodate wiring harnesses, insulated panels for windows, and certain spaces that are in conflict with in-panel insulation. That said, it's still the lowest-profile/lowest-intrusion option. Pondering it with the same eye to some of the failed SIP builds out there, the WikiHouse pseudo-movement, and other ventures that have issues in large part for lack of functional roof ventilation... I wonder if a viable option for a large interior cabin space is to construct a large format, rectangular, box-tent of synthetic fill insulation, and then suspend it off of rails installed into the upper/lateral rails. During travel, unzip the vertical edges and fold up the sides/front/back, and use a cargo net to lightly compress the total flattened package against the underside of the roof. Possibly a fabric duct in and out for air-flow, and sleep with the windows cracked; the exterior of the vehicle then functions in the same manner as a house's roof, while the area enclosed by the insulated tent functions in the same manner as a house's wall and ceiling insulation.

That'd obviate the need for window shades except during the hot season, mitigate some of the moisture accumulation concern, and would negate the requirement for a roof mushroom camp (aka. additional roof penetration), with all of the sealing concerns that go with that.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List