Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Vans (minivans, MPVs, cargo, passenger, crew, sprinter, transit, etc.)

Gettinbg more and more interested in this thing! Dealer says it's "delayed".

Something about the simplicity of it all that's really appealing. Not a lot of geegaw and doodads.

It appears that with this engine and towing package this beast can tow up to 10,000 lbs! 135in wheelbase means ~26ft of trailer length, meaning it should be able to tow the new Airstream Trade Wind (off-grid camper), so it's on the ragged edge of length but under on weight even with it loaded to max!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Oh goddamn, even better in black!

Thought you might be interested in this CarGurus listing:
    New 2023 GMC Savana LS 2500 RWD - $48,925

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/367340885

Attachment 113896
    oh man, it's en route to the dealer and still available! If only I thought I could make 55 inches of interior height work for me...

I think these things can tow like 6,700 lbs

list of features is surprising given the anachronism of the model

• <br /><br />KEY FEATURES INCLUDE<br />
    • Third Row Seat
    • Rear Air
    • Back-Up Camera
    • WiFi Hotspot.
    • GMC LS with Onyx Black exterior and Medium Pewter interior
    • features a 8 Cylinder Engine with 401 HP at 5200 RPM*.
    • <br /><br />OPTION PACKAGES<br />
    • ENHANCED CONVENIENCE PACKAGE includes
    • (ATG) Remote Keyless Entry
    • (BTV) Remote vehicle starter system
    • (L8T) 6.6L gas V8 engine
    • (P0V) 12 months of OnStar Vehicle Insights
    • (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment and
    • (ZQ3) Driver Convenience Package
    • ENGINE 6.6L V8 WITH DIRECT INJECTION and Variable Valve Timing gasoline (401 hp [299 kW] @ 5200 rpm 464 lb-ft of torque [629 N-m] @ 4000 rpm) Includes external engine oil cooler.
    • SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT
    • DRIVER CONVENIENCE PACKAGE includes
    • (N33) Tilt-Wheel and
    • (K34) cruise control
    • REAR PARK ASSIST with audible warning
    • FORWARD COLLISION ALERT (Includes (UFL) Lane Departure Warning.)
    • TRAILERING EQUIPMENT HEAVY-DUTY includes trailering hitch platform and dual 4-pin/7-pin sealed connector Includes (UY7) trailer wiring harness.)
    • SEATS FRONT BUCKET WITH CUSTOM CLOTH TRIM head restraints and inboard armrests Includes
    • (BA3) console with swing-out storage bin.
    • TRANSMISSION 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC HEAVY-DUTY ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes
    • Cruise Grade Braking
    • Powertrain Grade Braking and Tap-Up/Tap-Down Driver Shift Control
    • AUDIO SYSTEM AM/FM STEREO WITH MP3 PLAYER seek-and-scan digital clock TheftLock random select auxiliary jack and 2 front door speakers (STD).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Van Layout Application

I've been working on a configuration for a potential van purchase and found the "vanspace 3D" application for sale online. Cost me a grand total of $26 for a one year license (I chipped in an extra $19 for "lifetime"). Took me all of a day to come up with something near final. They provide a big library of elements and all can be scaled as necessary. The library offers models of most (all?) common vans (Promaster, Sprinter, Transit, and some European stuff). The attached snapshot I provided to the up-fitter for discussion purposes, the callouts added using Visio. The user interface is pretty good; I didn't bother with the tutorial. You can PM me with any questions.
    Name:  Van Layout Overview.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  53.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I've been working on a configuration for a potential van purchase and found the "vanspace 3D" application for sale online. Cost me a grand total of $26 for a one year license (I chipped in an extra $19 for "lifetime"). Took me all of a day to come up with something near final. They provide a big library of elements and all can be scaled as necessary. The library offers models of most (all?) common vans (Promaster, Sprinter, Transit, and some European stuff). The attached snapshot I provided to the up-fitter for discussion purposes, the callouts added using Visio. The user interface is pretty good; I didn't bother with the tutorial. You can PM me with any questions.
    Name:  Van Layout Overview.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  53.4 KB
    That's pretty cool!

(A) have a link to where you got it (saves me and others having to google later)
    (B) any idea if they include the GMC/Chevy Savana/Express?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Here's the link
    https://www.vanspace3d.com/

Vanspace3D has a large number of vans, but there acronyms are pretty cryptic. Chevy express, for example, below. The van dimensions can be individually scaled so even if an exact fit to your vehicle of interest isn't available the scaling should let you come very close. I see at least two Chevy Express, Fords, Nissans, and a bunch of others that I can't decode.
    Name:  Chevy Express.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  19.7 KB

not terribly stoked at the pricing, but pretty stoked at the list of options.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-06 105137.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-06 105226.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  58.2 KB

something else interesting to note, and I don't fully "get it", but the RAM FWD little V6 tows more than anything other than the 6.6L GM

Name:  2024-02-06 10_57_29-Van comparison - Google Sheets.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  46.6 KB

a DIY Siennia camper setup

Been meaning to link this guy's youtube, don't think I ever did, he's done a lot of camping and is on his 3rd or 4th version of IIRC all reversible mods to his Sienna Hybrid that he and his wife use for camping

If the 80/20 aluminum approach is to extreme, check out his older videos. Think he started with some type of wood platform after removing rear seats.

something else interesting to note, and I don't fully "get it", but the RAM FWD little V6 tows more than anything other than the 6.6L GM
    When I was considering, I was puzzled by some of the differences, but I think the factor is that the more the van weighs the lower the towing rating, like why a 146in is rated lower than an otherwise identical 130in:

Name:  Transit Towing.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  22.0 KB

Also, I have read a reference to some revised SAE rating system, apparently the Transit ratings are more real-world than the super high ratings on our pickups, and this is inconsistent with the ratings on the trucks (seems like a towing equipped F-150 is rated for ~11,300, no matter how it is configured). I studied this because our boat probably weighs the 6800 pounds the Transit is rated for. Towing it with the 163in F-150 is a walk in the park, but I wouldn't want to tow 11k with my truck, rated or not. Oh well, maybe Ford saved me from myself.

In related news, am going to drive the Connect to three gun today, plenty of room for two carts and such. And picked up a used set of wheels and tires for it:
    Name:  20240203_140927.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  58.2 KB

IIRC, the SAE tow standard is voluntary, but all the domestic makes agreed to abide by it for a level playing field. Basically in days past a manufacturer would certify whatever tow rating they felt comfortable with - largely from an emergency handling and warranty perspective. Now to have a SAE tow rating, the rig must be able to meet minimum standards like maintain 40mph up a moderate grade in 100°F weather with the AC on max without any triggering any warning lights, go 0-60 in under 30 seconds, and start from a standstill on a steep grade 5 times in 5 minutes without overheating the transmission or clutch.

Because it was based largely on vehicle acceleration, a truck equipped with a 4.10 axle can have a higher tow rating than the exact same truck with a 3.73 even though the axle ratio makes no difference in stability or stopping.

Where the SAE tow ratings get silly (in my opinion) is when you get long wheelbase vans getting lower tow ratings because they weigh a couple hundred pounds more and the manufacturer installed a bigger air conditioner to better cool rear passengers. True, the long wheelbase van won't accelerate as quite quickly or maintain as high of a speed uphill with the AC on max, but it will be significantly more stable and safe...

Even with SAE tow ratings trying to level the playing field, manufacturers are still gaming the numbers for advertising purposes. For instance, a 2022 Tundra TRD pro is rated to tow 11,175 lbs, but it lacks the payload to handle 15% tongue weight - and that's before counting the driver's weight!
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 02-18-2024 at 06:53 AM.

The household motor pool strategy continues to evolve...
    We got the Honda Element prepped for sale and sold it to a buddy. But while it was in the shop MrsMMc decided she would drive the Focus ST until I got a few things done with the Transit Connect (call sign: TC) and in the process came to the realization the the car that is a buttload of fun is a buttload of fun. And she doesn't personally deliver much any more (poster and banner printing business) and better yet, if she is driving the car (that is actually very spacious with the back seats down) nobody expects her to go deliver stuff either.

And we bought the little utility/motorcycle/ATV/(potentially) golf cart/mower (I think it will fit...) trailer I wanted. Not my bike, it has already hauled home two new ones, just neither of them mine:

Name:  Trailer.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  54.7 KB
    We bought a small one so it will be better when towed behind the TC (and the ATV), that way if I am hauling something like just my little SV650 it will not require the F-150. I used to think if you saw my motorcycle on a trailer you should call the police because it is being stolen, but my thinking has evolved somewhat. Small motorcycles are more fun at the destination than the trip, and car tires are cheaper (per mile) than motorcycle tires, and the van has plenty of room for a cooler.

And it is looking like we are losing access to the private shooting area we have been using for fifty years, so when I go shooting I will not need the F-150 (I have a lot of portable steel), but still need room for stuff like multi-gun carts.

And one reason we got the TC was for the dogs, and they spend more time with me during the week anyway, here is the girl dog hanging out while I shoot skeet, I think she likes it:
    Name:  Cami at WPAFB.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  37.7 KB

So the upshot is, after painstakingly analyzing and choosing the Transit Connect as the closest replacement for the Honda Element, it is going to be be my daily driver and she will continue to enjoy and wear out the Focus ST. This should work out well, since the utility aspect of the TC will be more likely called upon by me, and at 141k the Focus is pretty well depreciated, so we can use it up with little or no financial consequence.

The personalization is coming along, just added the black wheels we have intended, nice that it is the same size package as the Focus, if we ever wanted/needed to switch things around:
    Name:  MMc TC 041024.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  55.7 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-10-2024 at 11:32 AM.

User Tag List