Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal Flight Control

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Being that FliteControl seems to be impossible to find, does anyone have anything to say about Federal Force X2? I know that it’s unique feature is 00 buck that’s designed to split on impact but how does it pattern? I figure the ultimate load would be the X2 buck in a FlightControl wad!!!
    LE 132-00 is available for around $1-1.10/round. Just use ammoseek

The X2 does not pattern well that I have seen. Nor does it offer inspiring penetration. The pellets break up so fast that it acts more like heavy bird shot, than proper buckshot.

One last question on the 20 gauge 8/9 pellet #1 buck load- what are right speeds for such a round, to use in the smaller, lighter guns- particularly with smaller, lighter shooters? Is there an optimal muzzle velocity range?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I put a Mossberg 835 turkey barrel on a 590a1. This barrel is overbored, and this larger diameter damages fewer pellets. Using Spartan 00 buckshot and a modified choke, this weapon produced very tight patterns at 35 yards. I used Spartan because of price. I experimented with buckshot over a 25 year period and concluded that not all barrels are equal and found that improved cylinder chokes beat cylinder. The old Lyman Cutts Compensator devices that we called dog dicks excelled. I had good luck with Polychoke adjustable chokes. Browning BPS shotguns have overbored barrels and handle buckshot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Being that FliteControl seems to be impossible to find, does anyone have anything to say about Federal Force X2? I know that it’s unique feature is 00 buck that’s designed to split on impact but how does it pattern? I figure the ultimate load would be the X2 buck in a FlightControl wad!!!
    In the testing I've seen, it's random whether the pellets open up or not. If they don't, they penetrate like normal buckshot. If they do, they penetrate way too shallow. They also don't pattern all that well, again likely because of the mass imbalance and uneven surface from the cuts. It's a gimmick that ought to be relegated to the garbage round makers along with the wire-linked buckshot, flechettes, etc.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    It's a gimmick that ought to be relegated to the garbage round makers along with the wire-linked buckshot, flechettes, etc.
    I hope you're not casting shade at Dragon's Breathe 12g shells!

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I hope you're not casting shade at Dragon's Breathe 12g shells!
    As was my want, I spent breaks in every Louis Awerbuck class listening to the maestro share tidbits in his wonderful S.A. lilt. On one occasion, he brought up Dragon's Breath, saying a class he was teaching had him in his pickup a couple blocks from the LA riots with a shorty shotty in the cab. He loaded a shell of DB in the chamber with the thought that if he had to leave his truck for any reason and found a mob headed his way, it might be the one time a hundred feet of flame from a 12g might actually be useful...hearts and minds if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    As was my want, I spent breaks in every Louis Awerbuck class listening to the maestro share tidbits in his wonderful S.A. lilt. On one occasion, he brought up Dragon's Breath, saying a class he was teaching had him in his pickup a couple blocks from the LA riots with a shorty shotty in the cab. He loaded a shell of DB in the chamber with the thought that if he had to leave his truck for any reason and found a mob headed his way, it might be the one time a hundred feet of flame from a 12g might actually be useful...hearts and minds if you will.
    Wait, so Louis Awerbuck was close by the LA Riots? I believe he was also caught in a riot in South Africa, carrying a Star PD, which began his preference for Hi Cap pistols. Bad Luck!

He also carried a .38 snub in an ankle rig during class. He constantly demo'd with his dual blue guns, but never forgot when an S.A. police class was robbed of their guns on a cold range. I heard Marcus Wynn on a podcast say, "When a man dies, we lose a library, when Louis died, we lost Alexandria." RIP indeed.

Site Supporter
    **Editing to state that I didn't read the entire thread before posting, namely because I certainly did not expect there to be so many other instances of the FC to having caused issues. It'd be downright lovely to have somewhere locally to purchase enough of the LE132 or Hornady loads to pattern rather than having to invest significantly, especially at this moment in history. The bright side is the longest shot one would encounter in my home is about 8 yards, and it's going to do what it needs to do at that range.

“Every shotgun is a special snowflake.” Indeed it is, and my LTT 1301 perplexes me. I did manage to acquire an adequate supply of Flite Control OOB 8 pellet, and two weeks ago shot several rounds across the chronograph, and figured to pattern it, as well. Two hit dead on at 15 yards still in the cup, and one strung quite like shot #3 here today.

This is five patterns today shot by my wife and I at 14 yards. #2 and 4 stayed in the cup, which is good. #1 and 5 held an acceptable pattern, though I’d rather it be tighter yet. #3 is what concerns me. I shot it, and may have pulled the shot off, to a degree, but the stringing of the pellets is… bothersome.
    I shot several of Fiocchi Defense OO 9 pellet with the chronograph session, 25 of 27 pellets were within the 7 ring of a B8 at 15 yards. I’ve also got an Aguila OO 9 pellet load that I would never want to use beyond 7 yards.
    I’m wondering if a Flite Control OO 9 pellet full power load would be more consistent?

Name:  flite control 1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  flite control 2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  53.4 KB
    Name:  flite control 3.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  46.1 KB
    Last edited by spence; 03-12-2023 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    **Editing to state that I didn't read the entire thread before posting, namely because I certainly did not expect there to be so many other instances of the FC to having caused issues. It'd be downright lovely to have somewhere locally to purchase enough of the LE132 or Hornady loads to pattern rather than having to invest significantly, especially at this moment in history. The bright side is the longest shot one would encounter in my home is about 8 yards, and it's going to do what it needs to do at that range.

“Every shotgun is a special snowflake.” Indeed it is, and my LTT 1301 perplexes me. I did manage to acquire an adequate supply of Flite Control OOB 8 pellet, and two weeks ago shot several rounds across the chronograph, and figured to pattern it, as well. Two hit dead on at 15 yards still in the cup, and one strung quite like shot #3 here today.

This is five patterns today shot by my wife and I at 14 yards. #2 and 4 stayed in the cup, which is good. #1 and 5 held an acceptable pattern, though I’d rather it be tighter yet. #3 is what concerns me. I shot it, and may have pulled the shot off, to a degree, but the stringing of the pellets is… bothersome.
    I shot several of Fiocchi Defense OO 9 pellet with the chronograph session, 25 of 27 pellets were within the 7 ring of a B8 at 15 yards. I’ve also got an Aguila OO 9 pellet load that I would never want to use beyond 7 yards.
    I’m wondering if a Flite Control OO 9 pellet full power load would be more consistent?
    Personally I have only noted the oddball patterns with LE13300. I do not see the same with LE12700/PFC15400 or LE13200/PD13200. Even though they are 9 pellet loads, they at least pattern consistently out of my guns.

This is how LE13200 patterns out of my cylinder bore P3000 at 15 and 25 yards.

Name:  0EB66C86-9E6E-4BFF-9D22-814964992A56.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  FC0DF15A-6363-48DA-8158-3965A78AD83C.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  32.0 KB

User Tag List