Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Federal Flight Control

Name:  FlightControlPatterning.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  69.5 KB

This is from a class I taught in early 2020, where we did some patterning of students' guns and ammo.

This old Mossberg really really loved 9-pellet low-recoil FFC, as you can see.

Go out and pattern your guns with various ammo and see what each prefers.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Name:  FlightControlPatterning.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  69.5 KB

Go out and pattern your guns with various ammo and see what each prefers.
    The class at TacCon we were in was a subtle reminder this. A student's 14" 870 SBS was used. The student knew what HIS blaster would do with HIS choice of load. In HIS case the load was Winchester RA120008 (2 3/4" 8-pellet reduced). It shot a tighter pattern than LE133-00, LE132-00, and LE132-1B at 15 yards. I have fallen into the "FFC or nuthin'" pit. I need to change that. Before the world of FFC, I had shotguns that patterned Federal 8-pellet best, and other that flung a tighter pattern with Remington 8-pellet. I noted those shotguns with tape on the stock denoting preferred load.

I am currently looking for some of that Winchester Ranger and looking forward to the new 16-pellet 1B load from Federal that omits the FC wad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    The class at TacCon we were in was a subtle reminder this. A student's 14" 870 SBS was used. The student knew what HIS blaster would do with HIS choice of load. In HIS case the load was Winchester RA120008 (2 3/4" 8-pellet reduced). It shot a tighter pattern than LE133-00, LE132-00, and LE132-1B at 15 yards. I have fallen into the "FFC or nuthin'" pit. I need to change that. Before the world of FFC, I had shotguns that patterned Federal 8-pellet best, and other that flung a tighter pattern with Remington 8-pellet. I noted those shotguns with tape on the stock denoting preferred load.

I am currently looking for some of that Winchester Ranger and looking forward to the new 16-pellet 1B load from Federal that omits the FC wad.
    FFC is statistically the safe choice. But every now and again, something bucks the odds. I'm still going to stock up on FFC (LE133 and LE132-00 when I can get them), but I also won't be too surprised if one day I have a barrel that likes something else better. It's rare but it does happen.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

The lack of availability of the good stuff is puzzling?

Is it manufacturing capacity or what?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Probably just a company being coin operated, like companies do.
    Group Buy!!!

The lack of availability of the good stuff is puzzling?

Think of what percentage of people buy FFC. First, how many people are buying shotshells in lieu of rifle/pistol ammo. Of those, how many are routinely buying buckshot vs. birdshot. Of those, how many are spending the $$ to get the best buckshot vs. what's cheapest. Federal's in business to make money.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

You would think the fact that it fly's off the shelf would be a clue though...hey we could sell a lot more of this stuff if we made more.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    You would think the fact that it fly's off the shelf would be a clue though...hey we could sell a lot more of this stuff if we made more.
    I’d have to agree with you - it’s hard to say there’s “low demand” when it’s rare to find in stock.

Personally, if I could buy a “lifetime supply” (which I would probably define as 1000 rds) of FFC #1, or even FFL 00 8-pellet, it snap it up.

Of course, after that, I’d no longer be part of the demand…. Maybe that’s the play by Federal - keep us hungry?

You need to look at it in comparison to their other products. There’s low demand for FFC compared to demand for .223/5.56 or 9mm. The shotgun is dying in law enforcement. In another few years it’ll basically be dead other than for breaching or less lethal for those agencies that don’t have 40mm LL launchers. On the private citizen side shotguns are also losing ground to rifles for defensive use. Sure, Federal sells all the FFC they produce, but they sell more of numerous other products for which the demand is higher.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

If there was really that much demand for FC, I imagine Chris Baker at Lucky Gunner would be able to make an order happen given that Lucky Gunner is one of America's biggest ammunition vendors. He's an enthusiast that goes to all the same classes we do and is undoubtedly aware of how FC is viewed as a holy grail, and the nuances that can be appreciated like 8 vs 9 pellet, No 1 vs 00, etc.

But it hasn't happened, which tells me the demand isn't there.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List