Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russian ammo ban

Copy/paste from another form

Atlantic Firearms Posted this yesterday.

"They have NOT banned all Ammo and there is a ton of already approved form 6s out there so ammo will continue to flow into the US from Russia until those are exhausted . Similar to the Vepr ban we saw Veprs continue to flow into the US for 2 more years . During that time production will move to other non banned countrys . There is already ammo sitting in Poland , Romania , Serbia etc just waiting to hop a ship over to the US. This being said you can expect to see higher prices on ammo going forward . The SKY is not falling" .....

AtlanticFirearms.com

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Otoh Atlantic sells a lot of AKs and does not want that to change, so I'm not sure I'd accept their intel at face value. When Russia invaded Ukraine we also heard speculation manufacturers would shift production out of Russia to avoid anticipated sanctions, but I don't know if that has come to pass either.

The real unknown in my mind is how much of the Russian production capacity can't or won't be allowed to move. In my mind there are probably a limited number of Russian manufacturers whose facilities were created a while ago with government involvement, and have since become privatized to some extent. I'm assuming it would be difficult both logistically and politically for those manufacturers to leave Russia. That's just my speculation though, I'd love actual facts on the matter.
    Last edited by GlockenSpiel; 08-25-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Wording unclear

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Copy/paste from another form

Atlantic Firearms Posted this yesterday.

"They have NOT banned all Ammo and there is a ton of already approved form 6s out there so ammo will continue to flow into the US from...
    I am sure that most here have received today's email from SGAmmo that presents a very different prospective.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    In my mind there are probably a limited number of Russian manufacturers whose facilities were created a while ago with government involvement, and have since become privatized
    I am not gonna to claim any special knowledge but I would be very surprised if any military production factories got privatized over there.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am sure that most here have received today's email from SGAmmo that presents a very different prospective.
    #truth

For those that missed it:

There has been a lot of people asking me about the sanctions on Russian ammo imports put in place by the US state department this past week and what it means for the future of ammunition supplies. There will be more clarity in several weeks when we can see the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021. The state department announcement can be seen at this page - https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-uni...eksey-navalny/

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.

You’re welcome, I guess.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Student
    Greg Ellifritz wrote a thing.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/five-consequences-of-the-russian-ammo-ban

User Tag List