Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian ammo ban

I'm hoping someone can step in and fill the void with cheap(er) alternatives.

A lot of these names are just names. S&B was Czech at one point and probably still made there to some extent. Maybe all, maybe some but it is owned by a Brazilian company that also owns Megtech, M.E.N and a few others.... I think Geco and MFS but don't hold me to that. But I do know Geco has been made in Germany and in Hungry (MFS)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

It’s gonna take time to grow capacity, no matter who it where, if it can even happen at all. I’m no fan of the current (or past) Russian government, but this hurts the bottom end of the ammo market, abd that.’LLC have ripple effects that will be with us for a long time.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Definitely caught with my pants down on this. Anyone know if any other country has produced 5.45x39 for the US commercial market?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Definitely caught with my pants down on this. Anyone know if any other country has produced 5.45x39 for the US commercial market?
    As I recall, Hornady was making steel cased 762 and 545 with higher end bullets for a while. I would hope this recent news would not go unnoticed by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As I recall, Hornady was making steel cased 762 and 545 with higher end bullets for a while. I would hope this recent news would not go unnoticed by them.
    looking at all the out of stock stuff on TargetSport's website i see that Horandy has the v-max 5.45 but i don't remember the last time i've seen it in stock, probably doesn't help that no one (I guess PSA excluded) is producing new 5.45 guns.
    Clicking into some of the out of stock products does leave a little hope left though: according to one of the descriptions some of the "Red Army Standard" 5.45 ammo imported by Century is made in Bosnia.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I'm hoping someone can step in and fill the void with cheap(er) alternatives.

A lot of these names are just names. S&B was Czech at one point and probably still made there to some extent. Maybe all, maybe some but it is owned by a Brazilian company that also owns Megtech, M.E.N and a few others.... I think Geco and MFS but don't hold me to that. But I do know Geco has been made in Germany and in Hungry (MFS)

Geco is still Swiss-owned.

https://www.ruag.com/en/products-ser...rts-ammunition

The brands RWS®, Rottweil®, GECO®, Norma® and Hirtenberger®...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    looking at all the out of stock stuff on TargetSport's website i see that Horandy has the v-max 5.45 but i don't remember the last time i've seen it in stock, probably doesn't help that no one (I guess PSA excluded) is producing new 5.45 guns.
    Clicking into some of the out of stock products does leave a little hope left though: according to one of the descriptions some of the "Red Army Standard" 5.45 ammo imported by Century is made in Bosnia.
    I do fear that this idiotic ban (sorry I got political) is going to hit AK74 shooters a lot harder than 47 shooters. Given the number of 47 and SKS shooters out there I think there will be enough demand for manufacturers to continue to produce 762x39 budget ammo (though the sub $0.20 /round prices are long gone), I really wonder if the 545 could ever be more than a niche round for western manufacturers. Neither Serbia or Czech ever went to 545. Hopefully someone will find and import a few metric shit tons of 545 discovered in a bunker in Ukraine somewhere.

This is probably going to drive the 7.62x39 shooters to start reloading or just sell their rifles into a buyers market.

I wouldn't mind having a CZ 527 in the Rooskie cartridge. Might just purchase some dies right now just to have them before they're all gone.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'd wait before selling. Right now the market is exploding due to demand. GunBroker has both calibers at stupid high prices and some people are paying. 5.45 surplus 120 rounds/$199 with like 16 bids!!!! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] 7.62 is approaching 80 cents a round.

Give it time. Those who are easily separated from their money with soon calm down, those asking ridiculous prices will soon lower them to sell and someone is bound to take up the slack even a little

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I do fear that this idiotic ban (sorry I got political) is going to hit AK74 shooters a lot harder than 47 shooters. Given the number of 47 and SKS shooters out there I think there will be enough demand for manufacturers to continue to produce 762x39 budget ammo (though the sub $0.20 /round prices are long gone), I really wonder if the 545 could ever be more than a niche round for western manufacturers. Neither Serbia or Czech ever went to 545. Hopefully someone will find and import a few metric shit tons of 545 discovered in a bunker in Ukraine somewhere.
    without a doubt. unfortunately word around the internet campfire is the factory that was making commercial 5.45 in Ukraine is in rebel held territory so uhhh fingers crossed Bosnia comes through

User Tag List