Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian ammo ban

Russian ammo ban

What does the Russian ban mean for ammo pricing. It is starting to come down. Will it be panick buying again or another fake crisis to inflate the prices? Or nothing to worry about?

As this chart shows, the common Russian calibers have just spiked, while 5.56 NATO and 9mm have continued to declline. However, this may change if buying habits change.

On a very slightly if not unrelated note, I noticed that there seems to have been a run on water and toilet paper in my local stores. People are amazing, when acting as part of a herd.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Thread cleaned once. General political talk will be deleted and the user banned from the thread. If you want to talk politics, you know where to do it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I am going to speculate that the ruskie 9mm, 45acp, and .223 steel case stuff, while clearly the low end of quality, was underpinning the slow recovery in ammo prices. I think this will hurt pricing and extend the ammo shortages at least the rest of this year and prove to be a big setback in the recovery process. No way it can be helpful.

In the case of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 it is a catastrophe, with only the East European's now being the source of steel case blasting fodder for those. The low price and abundance the ruskies provided has been a huge factor that drew many people to the AK platform as recreational shooters. Watch for AK prices to collapse. Not clear to me if the Serbians and others who make that stuff will ever be able to fill the gap for those rounds in a way that drives the prices back to their previous levels.

I suppose this will exacerbate the "shortage" a bit. I have used Russian ammo before but I don't think I have any right now. Probably there's good Russian ammo but that's not really what people are buying. They want cheap Russian ammo. All the Tul and other steel stuff I've used has been really awful stuff; filthy beyond belief with velocity all over the place. I suppose it's still good to have in the market place because if enough people buy the crap it will leave more good stuff on the shelves. Is there any imported Russian .40 S&W? I don't recall seeing any. Mostly I shoot 9mm and 5.56 NATO with a bit of .40 & 12ga. Most of what I buy is American-made.

Didn't some of those manufacturers move production years ago? The higher end Wolf stuff is made in Taiwan now. I thought that after the invasion of Ukraine a few of the ammo makers set up plants outside of Russia to counter the sanctions they knew would be coming?
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Cāmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

Didn't some of those manufacturers move production years ago? The higher end Wolf stuff is made in Taiwan now. I thought that after the invasion of Ukraine a few of the ammo makers set up plants outside of Russia to counter the sanctions they knew would be coming?
    Wolf is not a manufacturer. It's just a name. They buy ammo from different factories and re package it under the Wolf name. Before Taiwan Wolf Gold was re packaged PPU and it still is for some calibers

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Is PPU Croatia? Serbia? I forget where they're from.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Cāmara

Serbia

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Is PPU Croatia? Serbia? I forget where they're from.
    PPU is made in Serbia. It along with the Czech S&B is brass cased and thus will never meet the price point of the Russian steel cased ammo. That said, I hope the are able to boost production..

Apropos of nothing I really like the Wolf Gold stuff. Maybe I'll have to try a few more PPU items. I suppose I've used most everything on the market but I tend to have a few brands I prefer when I can choose. In shortage conditions I suppose any port in a storm. I'm stocked to reasonable levels right now, plus I wrecked my shoulder this spring and had surgery- still not at the point where I can really do any shooting except in an emergency situation. Every time I go to PT I ask my therapist if I'm healed enough to run a few boxes through my new 1301 Tactical and he always says, "Nope, that's a ways down the road".

User Tag List