Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McMansion Hell

#RESIST

Interesting but very subjective, the effect of various design and construction choices depends a great deal on the context. Something that looks great in an older suburb may look terrible in a city, or even in a new development. My area is mostly 1950s-1960s but there are quite a few properties that have been updated, some are complete rebuilds. And some look really nice, some are very out of place in the area but would look OK somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Awesome.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Like said above, it's all subjective. Architects designed all the houses they shared photos of (most likely) and the guy who designed a level 10 McMansion probably thinks a level 1 house is atrocious.

My other beef with the whole thing is this continued fascination with tiny houses. Tiny houses are fucking stupid, no matter how nice they look.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Like said above, it's all subjective. Architects designed all the houses they shared photos of (most likely) and the guy who designed a level 10 McMansion probably thinks a level 1 house is atrocious.

My other beef with the whole thing is this continued fascination with tiny houses. Tiny houses are fucking stupid, no matter how nice they look.
    Tiny like those 300sqft trailer size things? Probably but look at it this way, my house is waaaaay to big for me if I really think about it. I have 2200sqft and it's just me and the dog. 2 floors and a full basement and I really only live in the kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. Im in the dining room because I have to walk through it to get to the living room and kitchen. Today was the first time in a few weeks I've been in the basement. I can technically live comfortably in a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. A house half the size is cheaper to heat/cool, cheaper to fix some things. As investment it's a different story but it could also be said that I would have saved more money with a smaller house

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I liked the asthetics of some of the McMansions. Admittedly, some of them were pretty atrocious too. I was interested in the comments on construction methods, materials, and building errors.

Kinda made me appreciate my 2/2 built 50 years ago.

Holy shit.

The Dankest McMansion in Cook County, IL. is almost exactly a carbon copy of the McMansion my BIL and SIL just bought. Literally only minute differences, clearly the same architect.

I'm cracking up, because that is one ugly fucking house and I thought so the first time I saw it.

Chicago has a rich architectural history and many beautiful houses and they bought one of the ugliest. But it wasn't my money spent, so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Tiny like those 300sqft trailer size things? Probably but look at it this way, my house is waaaaay to big for me if I really think about it. I have 2200sqft and it's just me and the dog. 2 floors and a full basement and I really only live in the kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. Im in the dining room because I have to walk through it to get to the living room and kitchen. Today was the first time in a few weeks I've been in the basement. I can technically live comfortably in a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. A house half the size is cheaper to heat/cool, cheaper to fix some things. As investment it's a different story but it could also be said that I would have saved more money with a smaller house

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the 3 to 500 sqft things that cost $500 a sq/ft. I have a converted bus RV that's 320sq ft. I can't imagine living in it full time.

Site Supporter

I would wager that SE Florida is McMansion ground zero. We call it “bocatecture” since so much of what we see are these cookie cutter horrid stucco things with 27 roof valleys.

99% of what gets built in our area makes me want to tear my architecture degree in half, and the houses are even worse.

But the whole “jealous of/eat the rich” vibe of the site is pretty off-putting.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List