Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Current opinions of the Colt LE6920?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I can base my choices on what I feel is important but I can't choose for anyone else. Again, I have no issue with the Colt. More importantly I don't think Bartocci does either. That's my point, that people are misunderstanding his point of view. It may not matter to you or me what the cage code is on those parts but it might matter to someone. For that reason I respect the pedantic way he goes about his reviews. More info is better- one can always ignore or disregard the things that don't factor into your decision, but it's nice that the info is there for anyone that does care.
    It sure is a gud thing we hav a such a smart fella such as yourseelf to explain it to us simpletons how all of us are misunderstanding his point of view.

Site Supporter
    I am familiar with 10+ officers who have bought 6920s as the personally owned carbines for patrol/duty use in the last 24-36 months. During their 20 hour carbine transition class, they were all inspected by the dept armorer gunsmith who was military trained in the area prior to and during his tenure as a sworn officer before taking his present position at the academy as firearms training officer/armorer as a second career. When I took the course 6+ years ago, there were a few there in my class of 24 as well. All were GTG.

The 6920 mated with an Aimpoint Pro is the recommended turn key solution.

If I was in the mkt and could get a 6920 in my hand at 999.99 or less, I would buy with confidence.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am familiar with 10+ officers who have bought 6920s as the personally owned carbines for patrol/duty use in the last 24-36 months. During their 20 hour carbine transition class, they were all inspected by the dept armorer gunsmith who was military trained in the area prior to and during his tenure as a sworn officer before taking his present position at the academy as firearms training officer/armorer as a second career. When I took the course 6+ years ago, there were a few there in my class of 24 as well. All were GTG.

The 6920 mated with an Aimpoint Pro is the recommended turn key solution.

If I was in the mkt and could get a 6920 in my hand at 999.99 or less, I would buy with confidence

That pretty well sums it up.

Bartocci is quite long on theory, having done a good bit of writing, theorizing, pontificating etc. Where he falls short is spending thousands of hours wrenching on weapons.

He is no Cris Murray of the USAMU or Will Larson (Iraq Gunz on the net). I might value his opinion if he had more time actually wrenching on guns instead of reading researching and writing. It is that whole theory vs reality thing. Much like a criminal justice professor who never was a police officer, but wants to tell his class and the world all about how law enforcement works, I think I can find more credible sources.

Spend a few thousand hours here:

Actually wrenching on guns in real (third) world crappy conditions, where the guns get used frequently due to training and events that are often not planned thanks to neighborhood disputes.

Armory time, bench time, range time, simply cannot be replaced, no matter how much you read. Cobbling together guns, testing them, building parts from totally different guns, etc are all things you have to actually do. Maintaining hundreds of rifles at a very active REO (Regional Embassy Office) will teach you not only what their strong and weak points are but what stupid crap people will do with them. It will also teach you what parts are most important to have on hand, what tools are critical, what stuff never ever gets used, etc.

Working both sides of the armorer bench, both carrying them and wrenching on them gave me a pretty solid foundation in their function and practical application. It also gave me a nose for sniffing out BS pretty quickly when I hear or read it.

@Lost River I have the same French Press. Good coffee cannot be underestimated.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @Lost River I have the same French Press. Good coffee cannot be underestimated.
    Better believe it!

It is especially important when the powers that be send in crates of much needed M203s for your M4s, and everybody wants them right freaking now, and you are up half the night trying to make that happen. Problem is, they don't fit and you have no idea why.

Fortunately there was an older retired SEAL who was doing armorer work for another outfit not too far away who solved that mystery for me when I brought my problem to him. Little did I know, that the version I received was for A2 type weapons (fixed carry handle types), and not flattops. But the crusty older Frogman knew a trick that they don't teach in any schools and showed me how to modify them.

I had struggled for hours with the first one. After a bit of education and Leatherman surgery, the rest took minutes, thanks to being shown things that you are not likely to see in a Colt manual .

Then it was off to test fire Cheetos rounds !

Coffee and "Cheetos"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That pretty well sums it up.

The first AR I put together was a Colt LE 6920 with a Leupold 1.5-5 in a Larue mount, based on posts of yours on another forum back about 10-years ago. I was in my late 20s then and that rifle, although it did everything I needed it to do, was just not "cool" enough--particularly as the AR market took off into the stratosphere after 2010.

So I spent the past decade chasing "cool" AR's. In that time I assembled several AR's and all worked well, and all were expensive trips down the rabbit hole. The last AR I assembled was intended to reflect "an all around" AR circa 2016, here it is with one of its rotating cast of LPVO's, a Trijicon 1-4:

BCM upper, Ruger lower, BCM furniture, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Geissele scope mount, Geissele bolt release; Geissele charging handle; Arisaka flashlight and mount--I can hear the cash register ringing as I type It was a nice rifle, but every time I looked at it I saw all the money I had invested in it that I could have used to buy what I really like and enjoy: vintage S&W N-frame revolvers, Ruger single actions, 1911's and H&K USP's. So I parted it out and used the proceeds to buy these:

So, after 10-years on the AR-build treadmill I'm back to where I should have stayed all along: looking at a Colt LE6920 fitted with a lightweight LPVO. I'll likely go with another Trijicon 1-4 Accupower, if I can find one on sale.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The first AR I put together was a Colt LE 6920 with a Leupold 1.5-5 in a Larue mount, based on posts of yours on another forum back about 10-years ago. I was in my late 20s then and that rifle, although it did everything I needed it to do, was just not "cool" enough--particularly as the AR market took off into the stratosphere after 2010.

So I spent the past decade chasing "cool" AR's. In that time I assembled several AR's and all worked well, and all were expensive trips down the rabbit hole. The last AR I assembled was intended to reflect "an all around" AR circa 2016, here it is with one of its rotating cast of LPVO's, a Trijicon 1-4:

BCM upper, Ruger lower, BCM furniture, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Geissele scope mount, Geissele bolt release; Geissele charging handle; Arisaka flashlight and mount--I can hear the cash register ringing as I type It was a nice rifle, but every time I looked at it I saw all the money I had invested in it that I could have used to buy what I really like and enjoy: vintage S&W N-frame revolvers, Ruger single actions, 1911's and H&K USP's. So I parted it out and used the proceeds to buy these:

So, after 10-years on the AR-build treadmill I'm back to where I should have stayed all along: looking at a Colt LE6920 fitted with a lightweight LPVO. I'll likely go with another Trijicon 1-4 Accupower, if I can find one on sale.
    How do the non-folding front sight and LPVO work together? Does one interfere with the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    How do the non-folding front sight and LPVO work together? Does one interfere with the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't have a problem using the Leupold 1.5-5 with the fixed AR front sight. On 1.5 it could be seen, but did not obscure the sight picture, and at 5.5 it was almost unnoticeable. All of my use was on the square range at 50-100 yards so I can't speak to how it would work for close-range work or shooting on the move.

That old 1.5-5 was a good choice back in the day. Kind of the dark ages compared to what is available now. That said it is still a nice little scope. It has seen a rough life but still is rocking right along. When I got home from over there I sent it in for servicing to make sure it would track right, and they rebuilt the whole thing. Funny thing about the whole LPVO thing is that back then (07-08 timeframe) it was extremely rare to see anyone running anything but an RDO or an ACOG on an M4.

The majority of the tactical community thinks it discovered, invented and pioneered the use of the LPVO on ARs. But western coyote hunters have been using them for a very long time, since it is so common to have coyotes come blasting in at close range to a call, or hang up at extended distances. It reminds me of the "Recce Rifle" concept. The first time I saw that I thought " That just looks like a coyote rifle".

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I didn't have a problem using the Leupold 1.5-5 with the fixed AR front sight. On 1.5 it could be seen, but did not obscure the sight picture, and at 5.5 it was almost unnoticeable. All of my use was on the square range at 50-100 yards so I can't speak to how it would work for close-range work or shooting on the move.

I kept mine on 1.5 power 90+% of the time and shot with both eyes open. The front sight post being sort of visible really does not interfere with anything. When you are shooting at targets you don't notice it at all. Then when you dial up to observe something, or take a more precise/longer shot, you don't see the FSP hardly at all, as Oregon45 mentioned. In practical use in the field, it really is not an issue.

User Tag List