Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Current opinions of the Colt LE6920?

BTW Oregon45,

Those vintage revolvers look like way more fun than black rifles. To me at least. I get a lot more enjoyment fondling an old N Frame with some holster wear than the latest AR stuff any day. When people ask me what my all time favorite gun to shoot is, they are often surprised (if they know my background) that it is not an AR or Glock or something along those lines.

It is this:

My Marlin Model 39 Mountie .22

Probably the last rifle I would ever part with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Better believe it!

It is especially important when the powers that be send in crates of much needed M203s for your M4s, and everybody wants them right freaking now, and you are up half the night trying to make that happen. Problem is, they don't fit and you have no idea why.

Fortunately there was an older retired SEAL who was doing armorer work for another outfit not too far away who solved that mystery for me when I brought my problem to him. Little did I know, that the version I received was for A2 type weapons (fixed carry handle types), and not flattops. But the crusty older Frogman knew a trick that they don't teach in any schools and showed me how to modify them.

I had struggled for hours with the first one. After a bit of education and Leatherman surgery, the rest took minutes, thanks to being shown things that you are not likely to see in a Colt manual .

Then it was off to test fire Cheetos rounds !

Coffee and "Cheetos"
    What was the modification trick?

When people ask me what my all time favorite gun to shoot is, they are often surprised (if they know my background) that it is not an AR or Glock or something along those lines.

It is this:

My Marlin Model 39 Mountie .22

Probably the last rifle I would ever part with.
    Because at the end of the day no matter how high speed, fancy, adaptable or rock solid they can be, ARs and Glocks are tools.

Lever action .22s OTOH are works of art.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    What was the modification trick?
    It had to do with modifying the quadrant sights to fit detachable carry handle weapons, as well as modifying the launchers themselves, as a standard M203 launcher designed for the M16 won't bolt up to an M4A1.

Fixed carry handle weapons (like an A2) have more distance height wise between the receiver and the top of the carry handle. That is one of the reasons why an A2 has a effective range of 800 meters, and an M4 has an effective range of 600 meters (95% of the AR world does not know that) . Detachable carry handle weapons like our issued M4s did not have adequate space to accept the quadrant sight for the grenade launcher. Though most everyone just uses the leaf sight.

I had not even considered that I had been sent the wrong launchers/quadrant sights. and that there was a very slight difference between the height of a fixed handle weapon and a detachable one until the SEAL armorer showed me. Once he showed me what was up, and how to relieve some metal on the sight, as well as the launcher, it was all good. The grenade launchers for M4s are actually a bit different. Many may not know it, but M203s come in different tube lengths like 9 and 12"s. Prior to that I was pulling my hair out trying to make something fit that never was going to, and wondering what I was doing wrong. I had no manuals, so I was flying blind. It was a learning experience for sure.

Red face

Stupid questions, I've got a chance to get a 6920 for appx $1,000.00.

It looks like because the front sight is attached to the barrel I believe that means its not a "free floating barrel". How important is it to have a free floating barrel in terms of accuracy?

Can the fixed front sight be changed to a mlok or keylock hand guard easily? I'd want to add a flashlight and hand stop.

In the spirit of mission drives the gear my long term motivation is:

See what all the cool kids are doing and why?

Learn as much as I can, as economically as I can about AR-15's

Evolve into other configurations:

Could I easier switch the 16 556 to upper with a 7 - 10.3" 300 BO? I guess I'm wonder if anything in the lower receiver would be incompatible or need to be changed if I switch to 300 BO?

Eventually add a suppressor on a barrel maybe 7 - 12.5 inches

Would I be better off just getting an SBR then add a suppressor. I realize the legal requirements to do that but I'm assuming nothing will change (I naturally obvious and naive so take it for what its worth).

I'm so confused

It had to do with modifying the quadrant sights to fit detachable carry handle weapons, as well as modifying the launchers themselves, as a standard M203 launcher designed for the M16 won't bolt up to an M4A1.

Fixed carry handle weapons (like an A2) have more distance height wise between the receiver and the top of the carry handle. That is one of the reasons why an A2 has a effective range of 800 meters, and an M4 has an effective range of 600 meters (95% of the AR world does not know that) . Detachable carry handle weapons like our issued M4s did not have adequate space to accept the quadrant sight for the grenade launcher. Though most everyone just uses the leaf sight.

I had not even considered that I had been sent the wrong launchers/quadrant sights. and that there was a very slight difference between the height of a fixed handle weapon and a detachable one until the SEAL armorer showed me. Once he showed me what was up, and how to relieve some metal on the sight, as well as the launcher, it was all good. The grenade launchers for M4s are actually a bit different. Many may not know it, but M203s come in different tube lengths like 9 and 12"s. Prior to that I was pulling my hair out trying to make something fit that never was going to, and wondering what I was doing wrong. I had no manuals, so I was flying blind. It was a learning experience for sure.
    Did you ever get the opportunity to have a one-on-one with the Ass Klown who sent A2's for the M4's?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Did you ever get the opportunity to have a one-on-one with the Ass Klown who sent A2's for the M4's?
    It was probably some overworked/under-caring PBO or sad-sack 92Y that only had the one NSN or LIN for M203's when some CPT said "order some M203's", and had no idea there were any different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post

It looks like because the front sight is attached to the barrel I believe that means its not a "free floating barrel". How important is it to have a free floating barrel in terms of accuracy?

Can the fixed front sight be changed to a mlok or keylock hand guard easily? I'd want to add a flashlight and hand stop.

Could I easier switch the 16 556 to upper with a 7 - 10.3" 300 BO? I guess I'm wonder if anything in the lower receiver would be incompatible or need to be changed if I switch to 300 BO?

Would I be better off just getting an SBR then add a suppressor. I realize the legal requirements to do that but I'm assuming nothing will change (I naturally obvious and naive so take it for what its worth).

I'm so confused
    A lot of questions. The fixed sight 6920 is not free floated. Yes that can effect accuracy, depending on your definition of “accuracy”. But it’s still more than accurate enough for most people’s needs.

As for adding lights and a handstop, the cheapest way to do that is to buy a MagPul MOE SL handguard. You can install them yourself without tools. You can easily add a light and VFG or handstop if you wish. Go to MagPul’s web site and browse around. You’ll find what you need to accomplish adding the light.

Get a gun like a Colt 6920. Outfit it with MagPul MOE handguard if you’d like. Add a light and maybe a red dot sight. Get some extra magazines and som ammunition. Then deal out competent professional training.

Learn how to effectively run the Colt 6920. Then after you’ve got some training and experience, you’ll find most of the other questions you were wondering about reference short barreled uppers, different calibers and suppressors, and are they best suited for your needs, will most likely have answered themselves for you.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-27-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    A lot of questions. The fixed sight 6920 is not free floated. Yes that can effect accuracy, depending on your definition of “accuracy”. But it’s still more than accurate enough for most people’s needs..
    Name:  9C7D8D9B-5467-41BC-B4E1-B89E2D972752.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  100.6 KB This is a Colt 11.5” barrel upper, non-free floated, with an aimpoint shooting steel cased rooskie ammo and holding high on the berm at 500 yards (100 yard zero). I fired 10 or twelve rounds total, with a buddy spotting for me and no good reference on the berm. I was extremely happy with this group. Earlier in the day hits at 200 and 300 yards on a 8” plates were far easier.

As long as you don’t torque the shit out of the barrel non-floated is plenty accurate. Free float definitely gives you more options when you’re using different rests/slings and shooting from unconventional positions. I’ll upgrade one day, but non-floated will honestly do everything I need it to do for now, so I’m not in a hurry.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post

Free float handguards can be very important for accuracy, but practically speaking it doesn't matter at all that much. Watch 9 Hole Reviews on YouTube to see what someone with good skills can do with a basic M4.

No the front sight base cannot be easily removed, but you can get drop-in handguards that let you attach a light and hand stop easily. Or you can get light mounts that work with the standard handguards from Impact Weapons Components, and probably something for a hand stop too.

Define cool kids? And is what they are doing applicable to you? Competition, LE, military, Instagram bragging rights?

Buy the Colt, it will save you from having to learn about improper assembly and poor small parts QA that cheaper AR can have, and then buy ammo and a range membership. Learn basic maintenance. Take something like an Appleseed course for basic marksmanship. Don't go out and try to 'upgrade' things out immediately, because they probably won't.

Why are worrying about changing configurations before you have even decided on the base?

For .300 Blackout nothing should need to be changed in the lower, except if you are sticking a 7-10" upper on it it better be a registered SBR before you do. $ 200, do not pass go.

Another $200.

As someone who is considering doing this, I would say yes, dedicated SBR is the way, if that is your goal.
    I'm so confused
    As someone who followed the advice of "Just buy a 6920 and an Aimpoint Pro, and go shoot it" , that is also my recommendation. Don't fiddle with it, don't try to keep up with the 'cool kids', use that mental bandwidth and cash saved to build your skills and possibly get formal instruction, and figure out what you actually want it to do.

My 6920 currently no longer has the Aimpoint, because between my astigmatism and nearsightedness I couldn't hold groups beyond 50 yds that were acceptable to me. So its got a Leupold fx-ii 1.5x. Just enough magnification, but light and still good for up close. I may decide later that I need more scope than that later, but for now it works.

I still haven't reached the point where the rifle is what is impeding my accuracy, so I just switched out the old furniture for Magpul SL handguards and a Magpul fixed carbine stock. I can attach anything I need with little hassle with that.

User Tag List