Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Current opinions of the Colt LE6920?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    At that price, though, you might as well look at a BCM RECCE-16, too.
    Where available, also an excellent choice.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Yep. I've swapped a bunch of 6520s over to flat top receivers, mostly using the BCM cosmetic blems here: https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-uppe...emo-scratched/. These have been as cheap as ~$60 at times.

I have low serial factory 6720s, very handy.
    Thank you for the subtle correction.

You are correct, of course, in that my gun isn’t even a 6720, it’s a 6520!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thank you for the subtle correction.

You are correct, of course, in that my gun isn’t even a 6720, it’s a 6520!
    Well, it mostly is now. Mostly.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I’d be ok with a new CR6920.

But another option to consider, Colt has quietly been shipping new CR6960’s, which sell for around $1,050 - $1,100.

Basically a 16” mid-length barrel with a 13” Centurion Arms M-Lok rail.
    they seem to be commanding a premium, at the moment?

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/098289023506

Attachment 76224
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    In stock CR6960’s are at a premium. But I feel the dust has yet to settle in the current market. If Colt starts shipping more of these, as well as CR6920’s, then we might see prices stabilize somewhat.

I’m currently good with AR’s. But if I were in the market for a new AR and the 6960’s got back down to the $1,050, it would be a strong contender for me.

I am very curious, and slightly hopeful that Colt will start coming out with more options due to its new CZ ownership.

We shall see…
    That gun, at that price, would be my "new AR" buy as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It certainly looks like it. I looked the websites of 3 local places and they were all in the $1100-1300 range for CR6920s. I don’t need another AR but I’m tempted to snag one of these and turn one of my cheap ass frugal builds into a dedicated .22 LR rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The 6960 EPR is a midlength. In case you need some enabling.
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm sure all the others are more correcter, but I much prefer the modern full length handguard over the old school handguards. They seem more conducive to mounting lights and slings, and I suppose I prefer the aesthetics.

If I had my heart set on Colt, I'd give a hard look at something like the 6960.

ETA: FWIW, Sportsman's Warehouse currently has the Colt Enhanced Patrol Rifle for $1299. deals.guns has several sellers I don't recognize carrying it for a bit less.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    And they're a better overall fit for we knuckle-draggers.

Yes, very GTG. But darn you for posting that link.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ditto.

I can't imagine spending my own money on a 6920 in 2021. They're a bit archaic compared to the other options out there at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    At that price, though, you might as well look at a BCM RECCE-16, too.

Being horrible out of date, y'all clear this up for me, the EPR is model number 6920-EPR and if effectively a 6960 with a carbine-length gas system and some minor stock/grip changes? I can't even find the 6960 on the Colt website. I guess there's some debate about various versions of the Centurion handguard that each may ship with. Then there's an LE6920-ER "Trooper" carbine that adds to the confusion...

In any of these cases, not knowing what I don't know, I'd be a player for any of those models at $1k for sure. As the price creeps to $1300, I'd have to consider the 6920 if it's really available at $800-900 (or the LE6920-OEM2, which seems to be unobtanium now, if it was $700-800).

As the various factory free-floated options get to $1300+, I might start to look at other known-good, long-lived, manufacturers like BCM. Actually, I can't think of a second that I'd consider... Maybe Daniel Defense?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I have one of those BCM "blemished uppers and it is excellent if one doesn't mind a scratch or two [I don't].

Being horrible out of date, y'all clear this up for me, the EPR is model number 6920-EPR and if effectively a 6960 with a carbine-length gas system and some minor stock/grip changes?
    The 6960 has a lightweight barrel profile in addition to the mid gas. I think the EPR in the link uses the standard 6920 barrel which is the heavier government(?) profile. Difference in barrel diameter behind the a2 flash hider are visible from the pic on Colt's website and here: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120469.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The 6960 has a lightweight barrel profile in addition to the mid gas. I think the EPR in the link uses the standard 6920 barrel which is the heavier government(?) profile. Difference in barrel diameter behind the a2 flash hider are visible from the pic on Colt's website and here: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120469.aspx
    need a goddamn chart just to figure out Colt these days...

In any of these cases, not knowing what I don't know, I'd be a player for any of those models at $1k for sure. As the price creeps to $1300, I'd have to consider the 6920 if it's really available at $800-900 (or the LE6920-OEM2, which seems to be unobtanium now, if it was $700-800).
    Based on a whopping 2 minute search:

It appears the 6920 is currently going for $1000 - $1200. Lowest I saw was $979.

A similarly equipped BCM's seem to be going for $1400 here, so same price point as the long railed Colts.
    David S.

need a goddamn chart just to figure out Colt these days...
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Being horrible out of date, y'all clear this up for me, the EPR is model number 6920-EPR and if effectively a 6960 with a carbine-length gas system and some minor stock/grip changes? I can't even find the 6960 on the Colt website. I guess there's some debate about various versions of the Centurion handguard that each may ship with. Then there's an LE6920-ER "Trooper" carbine that adds to the confusion...

As the various factory free-floated options get to $1300+, I might start to look at other known-good, long-lived, manufacturers like BCM. Actually, I can't think of a second that I'd consider... Maybe Daniel Defense?
    The "LE" prefex guns for the most part are history.

The LE6920 Trooper is still on the web site, but is not being made currently. It came with a non-commercially available 13" Centurion Arms M-Lok rail that lacked some of features of the commercially available rail. Namely it had no QD attachments built into the rail. The 6920 Trooper was basically a Colt 6920 OEM2 that Colt stuck a 13" M-Lok rail on.

The LE6960 CCU was made with an ambi lower, MagPul furniture and a commercially available Centurion Arms M-lok 13" rail that included QD mounts.

I bought a 6920 Trooper a few years ago as a spare rifle. I really didn't need another spare rifle at the time. But the market was soft at the time and the compete gun cost me $689.99. I forced myself to buy one due to the price. Looking back, my only regret was not buying a few. My 6920 Trooper is marked as a CR6920 and not a LE6920. The circle portion of the roll mark for the Colt logo is slightly missing a small portion of the circle. At the time, the internet was loosing their minds over this issue with the stamping of the logo on the CR6920 marked lowers.

I'll share a little secret... The issue with the roll mark had absolutely zero effect on the performance of the gun!

Colt has quietly started shipping a remake of the 6960 CCU. It's sold as the CR6960. They cut costs by not including MagPul furniture and by using the cheaper 13" M-lok rail that was included on the 6920 Trooper. Some online sources were selling them for a bit under $1,100. At that price, I feel the CR6960 is a great option. At $1,300 and up, I get less excited about it.

I feel that Colt never pushed the marketing on the 6960 guns as much as they should have in the past. IF the new CR6960's start showing up in enough volume where the are retailing at the $1,075 - 1,100 range, they will be my recommendation to those who come to me wanting a recommendation for a rifle.

I own a few Colt 6920's. I have a pair of older LE6920's with the restricted markings stashed in the back of the safe. I have a pair that are LE6920's but marked "M4" on the lower. These are newer than the restricted marked guns. I even own a LE6920 that says, "Made in Canada", as it's manufactured by Colt Canada. All of my Colt 6920 lowers, including the newer CR6920 Trooper lower, perform exactly the same. All of the fixed sight 6920's perform about the same.

I personally feel that the 6920 with it's fixed front sight is a bit dated. The low profile gas block permits free floated rails and it also permits rails longer than 7" which provides so many options in user interface with the guns as well as adding accessories such as lights. For the type of shooter that spends more than 10 minutes a week on a gun form, this is important. But many people who buy an AR are people for whom guns are not a hobby or a passion, but they just want a solid AR available for home defense. They want a gun to protect what is important to them. For those individuals, I still think a CR6920 with a light, a sling and a RDS will do all that they need an AR to do. Especially the 6920 that is equipped with the Magul MOE SL furniture.

User Tag List