Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Current opinions of the Colt LE6920?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Stupid questions, I've got a chance to get a 6920 for appx $1,000.00.
    Grab it.

It looks like because the front sight is attached to the barrel I believe that means its not a "free floating barrel". How important is it to have a free floating barrel in terms of accuracy?
    The handguard, not the front sight determines if it's free float or not.

My experience is, if you're just going to use blaster ammo, you won't see much improvement in precision using free float handguards.

See what all the cool kids are doing and why?
    Be your own cool kid. It's fun to see what others are doing, but they're doing what works for them, or are too busy trying to be "The Cool Kid" to figure out maybe what they have isn't working well.

Colt 6920 with Slimline hand guard & stock. Gunfighter grip. Aimpoint Micro. Mossie Midnight light mount. Surefire light. Blue Force padded sling.
    As simple as it gets and it works.

Could I easier switch the 16 556 to upper with a 7 - 10.3" 300 BO?
    Yes. First, you'll need to register your lower as a Short Barrelled Rifle and get the tax stamp.

Would I be better off just getting an SBR then add a suppressor...?
    You could start with an SBR and suppressor but this route requires a higher level of technical expertise to make sure it's right.

It's much easier to start with a 6920, then build or buy a AR pistol (or Colt 6933). That way, you'll have an AR to shoot while tinkering with your suppressed SBR.

Colt 6933
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    How important is it to have a free floating barrel in terms of accuracy?
    My 6920 has a Magpul Moe SL handguard and a Midwest Industries sight block mount where I've mounted a flashlight. The trigger is stock. With a 5x scope my best five round groups, fired from prone at 100 meters, are 4cm (about 1.3 MOA) with GGG 55gr FMJ, and 3cm (about 1MOA) with PPU 75gr HPBT. Now, these aren't on demand groups so one could argue I'm cherry picking my results, but I still think that says something about the accuracy of the rifle. (In my defense, squeezing as tiny groups as possible from a gun with a milspec trigger ain't that easy, and I refuse to blame the gun for when the loose nut behind the stock messes up.) And since the stock is a synthetic material you don't have the issues traditional wood stocks have, where they might swell up with moisture and press on the barrel unless you free float them. Where you can run into issues are things like trying to use a sling for support or shooting from a rest, since pressure you put on your handguard will affect your barrel.

I do dream about one day getting a free floated handguard and a Geissele trigger (and a better scope and...) for my rifle. But until that day, I can manage just fine the way it is. I imagine you could too.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I’d jump on that without hesitation for a first AR. Like others said, it doesn’t need much. Add what’s been suggested to start, and as you learn with it and figure it what works for you (based on actual use, not what other people do) you can make subtle adjustments. But a 6920 with an Aimpoint and a light is absolutely going to get the job done if the job is basic self defense applications. And it can turn into whatever else it might need to be if the application ends up being different than that.

I’ll highlight what someone else said because it’s extremely important. You CAN NOT add an upper with a sub-16” barrel to the lower from a 6920 or other rifle without first getting an SBR tax stamp. Doing so is creating an illegal SBR, which a federal felony. You may know that as well as anyone but since you seem somewhat new I wanted to clarify that point because the consequences are huge. No disrespect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Did you ever get the opportunity to have a one-on-one with the Ass Klown who sent A2's for the M4's?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    It was probably some overworked/under-caring PBO or sad-sack 92Y that only had the one NSN or LIN for M203's when some CPT said "order some M203's", and had no idea there were any different ones.
    So these were were not .mil guns. This was at an embassy. Truth be told, even though they were the wrong ones. I/we were grateful to get them. It was a very small compound and it was a location that was very active.

This is from an exploded ordinance sweep:

We used to get air mail delivered right to our living quarters frequently:

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    So these were were not .mil guns. This was at an embassy. Truth be told, even though they were the wrong ones. I/we were grateful to get them. It was a very small compound and it was a location that was very active.

This is from an exploded ordinance sweep:

We used to get air mail delivered right to our living quarters frequently:
    Yeah, no doubt getting them was a good thing. I recall your previous posts about the activity level in your AO.

But somebody still needed their head-space & timing adjusted - just sayin.

Back on the topic of M4s.

I was looking through some pics and found this pic of an oddball gun I had located while at another small REO.

The backstory was that I had flown into Bdad (initially) and was supposed to be working as a DDM (Designated Defensive Marksman) somewhere. However as soon as I got off the plane and was in line to draw my gear, this lady comes up and asks for me, and states that the country wide PM (project manager, who is the big boss) would like to see me. I was a little at a loss, and asked who the PM was, and apparently while I was home on break, the PM I had been working for, for the last few years had been promoted to PM of all of Iraq.

Anyways, I go see the boss and he asks how the family is, makes small talk, asked if I would like a cocktail. The whole time I am thinking "WTF is this about?". Then he fills me in. Our outfit had just taken over a regional embassy from a company that was fired. We had been tasked with getting 100% accountability, and shutting it down. They wanted me to fly down and oversee getting accountability of the armory, and everything that that entails. He knew that this DDM gig I was on was a bit of a vacation for me compared to what I had been doing, but they needed this done and done right.

While mildly disappointed that I am not going to be having a pretty easy gig for the rotation I am on, there is no way I would ever say no, especially considering both the circumstances and the man I am talking to. There are "reasons". The outfit at that time was extremely small. They had tons of people trying to get in, but were very selective and I felt extremely lucky to be part of it. Plus they had given me opportunity after opportunity, sending me to school after school, training me. Additionally the gentleman who was the PM was someone who I (and everyone I knew) respected greatly. He came from the military's premier unit and was everything a leader should be. He was quiet, smart and you knew that he knew what he was doing. So when he asked for something, it never crossed my mind to do anything but get it done for him.

Little did I know what a disaster I was walking into. I ended up signing for all the weapons before I ever even got to the embassy (). When I got there, I opened the doors of the "armory" to find no real "books", pretty much non existent paperwork, and absolutely ZERO accountability of weapons. Belt feds, sniper rifles, M4s, etc, scattered into the wind. Weapons literally missing. Nobody had any idea who had what and the previous occupants were a total shit show of totally irresponsible conduct (they are a whole other topic).

I don't remember the exact numbers but if I recall, my initial count was 20 something guns were missing. Ones I had signed (and was now responsible) for. It was a complete disaster. I was getting physically ill with stress.

In a previous place we had been under indirect fire on a regular basis, and it was ugly, but the time I spent trying to track down and get accountability of all those weapons and paperwork was probably the single most stressful rotation I ever did overseas.

There is more to that story, but back to the picture above.

The M4/M16A2E.

That is a very freaking rare bird. It had been floating around the middle east and probably Africa for who knows how long. It was part of a good number of guns I discovered that were not even on record. Long story short, the one above is a very rare transitional model. It was made way back when Colt was in the process of creating the M4. I don't know how many were made, but it was only a couple of months that Colt made that model.

Here is an M4/M16A2E that just went for $54,000 this year.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/...LOT502483.aspx

This one is for sale for $75K

http://chestercountyarmory.com/products/?prodID=248

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The M4/M16A2E.

That is a very freaking rare bird. It had been floating around the middle east and probably Africa for who knows how long. It was part of a good number of guns I discovered that were not even on record. Long story short, the one above is a very rare transitional model. It was made way back when Colt was in the process of creating the M4. I don't know how many were made, but it was only a couple of months that Colt made that model.

Here is an M4/M16A2E that just went for $54,000 this year.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/...LOT502483.aspx

This one is for sale for $75K

http://chestercountyarmory.com/products/?prodID=248
    I would think that the model would be post 1986 and therefore non-transferable to regular folks.

The adverts say fully transferable. Since I don't keep up with the civilian machine gun world, I would not be a very good source for such things. For the amount of $$ it costs for a basic class 3 AR, I would most definitely rather do as Oregon .45 did and buy some nice old S&W revolvers, and a levergun or two like Malamutes. The black gun scene is about as exciting for me as owning a wrench.

I keep a couple around, appreciate their practical nature and certainly like a super accurate one for hunting, but in general when I see yet another AR I think (Quoting the great Clark Griswold) "Hey look kids, there's Big Ben, and there's Parliament... again.”

I'm with Lost River. To me an AR is about as exciting as plain yogurt. They're great tools but, like Glock is to handguns, they're the Bic lighter of rifles. One of the few things my youngest son got out of his now defunct marriage is a Daniel Defense AR. I'll admit, it's a very nice rifle. However, I can't see it doing anything the 6920 I was issued for the last half of my career couldn't.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have 6x CR6920s, <2500rds each but at least 1500. They got cleaned in May for what I believe is the first time. They have the characteristics CB describes in his video. Function is indiscernible from other LE6920s. If I was looking for an M4-type configuration they're fine and I'd buy more. I'm mostly done with that configuration though, buying long FF handguards and better barrels.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List