Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Current opinions of the Colt LE6920?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Being horrible out of date, y'all clear this up for me, the EPR is model number 6920-EPR and if effectively a 6960 with a carbine-length gas system and some minor stock/grip changes? I can't even find the 6960 on the Colt website. I guess there's some debate about various versions of the Centurion handguard that each may ship with. Then there's an LE6920-ER "Trooper" carbine that adds to the confusion...

In any of these cases, not knowing what I don't know, I'd be a player for any of those models at $1k for sure. As the price creeps to $1300, I'd have to consider the 6920 if it's really available at $800-900 (or the LE6920-OEM2, which seems to be unobtanium now, if it was $700-800).

As the various factory free-floated options get to $1300+, I might start to look at other known-good, long-lived, manufacturers like BCM. Actually, I can't think of a second that I'd consider... Maybe Daniel Defense?
    The 6920 /6960 EPR’s are the same gun with the standard Centurion Mlok rail other than one is carbine length gas and the other has a mid length gas system. There is also a 6933 EPR.

The trooper is a 6920 with a cheaper, simpler Centurion hand guard which lacks built in QD attachments. My understanding is the Trooper was Colts entry into either/both the new carbine solicitations for both the TX DPS Highway Patrol and the Michigan State Police though TX wound up buying DD and MI bought FN.

The standard 6920 is currently in the $900-$1000 range. The $849 price I linked was a particularly good deal. Haven’t seen new “CR” series OEM models since Colt’s last pause in selling AR’s.

US CBP, including the USBP have been rebuilding their Colt M4/M4A1s using complete BCM uppers for a few years now. Currently 11.5” uppers with BCM MLOK rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I personally feel that the 6920 with it's fixed front sight is a bit dated. The low profile gas block permits free floated rails and it also permits rails longer than 7" which provides so many options in user interface with the guns as well as adding accessories such as lights. For the type of shooter that spends more than 10 minutes a week on a gun form, this is important. But many people who buy an AR are people for whom guns are not a hobby or a passion, but they just want a solid AR available for home defense. They want a gun to protect what is important to them. For those individuals, I still think a CR6920 with a light, a sling and a RDS will do all that they need an AR to do. Especially the 6920 that is equipped with the Magul MOE SL furniture.
    This is absolutely me. I recognize all the advantages a free float has. But a traditional Magpul handguard, whether mid or carbine, gives me what I need to add both a sling and a light mount that works well for me ergonomically when combined with a vertical grip (IWC mounts and BCM VGs are perfect for my hands). Add a dot and a fixed BUIS because I feel like it, and for me, I’ve got something so suited to my needs it’s not worth the extra cash to upgrade.

I may feel differently if I didn’t actually kindof like the ergonomics. The vertical grip is a game changer for me with this setup. Before I discovered that, very much by accident handling someone else’s budget build, I was much more intent on getting free floated handguards.

6720's for me, I like light weight guns and got tired of short hand guards, cut the FSB and installed longer free float rails. Figured even though a stock 6720 or even 6920 will do what I need it to, I didn't have to settle. Got 3 guns set up very similar and I'm done.

I haven't seen a current Colt in a few years but I'm interested in how CZ will move forward.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The standard 6920 is currently in the $900-$1000 range. The $849 price I linked was a particularly good deal. Haven’t seen new “CR” series OEM models since Colt’s last pause in selling AR’s.

For anyone looking...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/909216168

The seller is a store local to me, solid folks. The CR6920 they had listed a week or two ago ended at @ $865.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I personally feel that the 6920 with it's fixed front sight is a bit dated. The low profile gas block permits free floated rails and it also permits rails longer than 7" which provides so many options in user interface with the guns as well as adding accessories such as lights. For the type of shooter that spends more than 10 minutes a week on a gun form, this is important. But many people who buy an AR are people for whom guns are not a hobby or a passion, but they just want a solid AR available for home defense. They want a gun to protect what is important to them. For those individuals, I still think a CR6920 with a light, a sling and a RDS will do all that they need an AR to do. Especially the 6920 that is equipped with the Magul MOE SL furniture.
    I certainly can't disagree with you, but you could edit out "6920" and substitute about 50 other carbines from S&W to PSA and be equally correct. For the average guy who'll put a couple mags through then lean it up in the corner an M&P15 will probably do the job for a few hundred less.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

I wish Colt still made publicly available the OEM-2 uppers.

KISS:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I wish Colt still made publicly available the OEM-2 uppers.

KISS:

When you see Colt selling uppers and lowers etc that will be a sign sales have tanked and they are likely to pause AR sales until the next panic buy drives up prices.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When you see Colt selling uppers and lowers etc that will be a sign sales have tanked and they are likely to pause AR sales until the next panic buy drives up prices.
    This makes perfect sense to me. I would be curious to hear from retailers as to whether they know of any upper kits or OEM-dash units in the pipeline. For now, Colt still has the 6920 OEM carbines listed on the US web site.

(I am not the least bit sad to have obtained a Colt upper conversion, even if it was less plug-and-play than described. Quite happy with the performance so far. )
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I certainly can't disagree with you, but you could edit out "6920" and substitute about 50 other carbines from S&W to PSA and be equally correct.
    Not in my experience.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Not in my experience.
    Nor mine.

Even within "S&W" there is considerable variance between actual M&P rifles and the Sport II models.

"PSA" also covers a broad range of quality from good as a 6920 to dog shit.

At this point it's like saying "a 1911 is"

A 6920 is like a SA TRP 1911. The minimum for a serious use.

A RIA may be good enough for plenty of people who will only take it to the range once a year for a box or two of FMJ, but it doesn't make it the equal of a TRP or a > quality 1911.

User Tag List