Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selection Bias in Drill Performance

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yikes. He missed time AND dropped a shot when trying to go sub-5 seconds.
    I guess it shows how tough this test is? Even legends are going to drop a shot trying to make the coin standards. That guy at the end though!

Quote Originally Posted by Controlledpairs2 View Post
    I guess it shows how tough this test is? Even legends are going to drop a shot trying to make the coin standards. That guy at the end though!
    Yeah I came to a different conclusion than that.

But I can clean it with a revolver and left handed (see above videos) so thats my perspective.

Yeah I came to a different conclusion than that.

But I can clean it with a revolver and left handed (see above videos) so thats my perspective.
    I should have looked more closely to who I was responding to! All I can say is WHOA... That is another level!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Controlledpairs2 View Post
    I should have looked more closely to who I was responding to! All I can say is WHOA... That is another level!!!
    Haha. Thanks.

It started with doing it using a Micro carry gun.

I can do that all day righty. I stopped after two back to back runs and then went to left handed. Then revolver.

As a friend said, you don’t have to be the best basketball player to be a great coach.

But it would be embarrassing to try and demonstrate a free throw as a coach and miss.

He looked stiff and slow and his index looked tentative and rusty.

I have personal opinions on the danger of instructors dumbing down curriculum to scale down to their diminishing levels.
    Last edited by JCN; 01-30-2022 at 10:59 PM.

Haha. Thanks.

It started with doing it using a Micro carry gun.

I can do that all day righty. I stopped after two back to back runs and then went to left handed. Then revolver.

As a friend said, you don’t have to be the best basketball player to be a great coach.

But it would be embarrassing to try and demonstrate a free throw as a coach and miss.

He looked stiff and slow and his index looked tentative and rusty.

I have personal opinions on the danger of instructors dumbing down curriculum to scale down to their diminishing levels.
    I took class from him and he is a great coach. He wasn't there to demonstrate how great he was but how I could be better. So he missed the 5.0 second standard. Nobody's perfect everyday...well except for you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I took class from him and he is a great coach. He wasn't there to demonstrate how great he was but how I could be better. So he missed the 5.0 second standard. Nobody's perfect everyday...well except for you I guess.
    I’m sure he’s a great coach.

Question for you. What was your FAST performance time?

Objectively, I shoot at a high level. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

I got there in a very short period of time (never touched a gun before Dec 2015) because I only listened to advice from the best of the best.

From other endeavors, I’ve found that advice tailored to “pretty good” performance given by people who are “pretty good” plateaus your ability at “pretty good.”

The 5 second FAST is not that stringent of a requirement.

Name:  20282ED7-6193-4A4F-8D86-7CD137EB01FF.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  46.1 KB

It’s only about USPSA A/M level.

I’m used to seeing others with very developed indexes and smooth automaticity.

IMO, that’s the goal for shooting. See target, gun appears with only minor correction and trigger pulls true to target.

From what I have seen, most martial arts sensei can still execute their craft at high levels and not fail to execute “pretty good” brown belt standards.

I’m not saying this is the case with this instructor, but there is a real danger of stunting personal growth and performance if you get participation trophies and skewed context.

Most stringent Timmy drills shake out to index and skill level of A or so. Most participation trophy achievement Timmy standards are C or B level.

If I were trying to get better than A level I would want to take lessons from someone who could perform higher than an A level. If I were happy at C or B then I guess it wouldn’t really matter.

Those are my opinions and preferences. Just voicing why I feel that way for me.

There's a lot of good shooters on this forum, they just don't have to tell everybody how good they are.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    There's a lot of good shooters on this forum, they just don't have to tell everybody how good they are.
    There are a lot of good shooters here.

There are VERY few great shooters here.

It’s the reason I post videos because talk is cheap.

It’s very clear in watching quality of movement who is at what level.

It’s not about telling people how great I am.

It’s about telling people the context of my opinion.

I’ve said it before. I have very high standards for a lot of things.

That’s my personal bias. On a scale of 1-10 shooting, I consider myself an 8.

But the scale isn’t based on percentile of population, it’s on spectrum of ability.

I’m sure he’s a great coach.

Question for you. What was your FAST performance time?

Objectively, I shoot at a high level. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

I got there in a very short period of time (never touched a gun before Dec 2015) because I only listened to advice from the best of the best.

From other endeavors, I’ve found that advice tailored to “pretty good” performance given by people who are “pretty good” plateaus your ability at “pretty good.”

The 5 second FAST is not that stringent of a requirement.

Name:  20282ED7-6193-4A4F-8D86-7CD137EB01FF.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  46.1 KB

It’s only about USPSA A/M level.

I’m used to seeing others with very developed indexes and smooth automaticity.

IMO, that’s the goal for shooting. See target, gun appears with only minor correction and trigger pulls true to target.

From what I have seen, most martial arts sensei can still execute their craft at high levels and not fail to execute “pretty good” brown belt standards.

I’m not saying this is the case with this instructor, but there is a real danger of stunting personal growth and performance if you get participation trophies and skewed context.

Most stringent Timmy drills shake out to index and skill level of A or so. Most participation trophy achievement Timmy standards are C or B level.

If I were trying to get better than A level I would want to take lessons from someone who could perform higher than an A level. If I were happy at C or B then I guess it wouldn’t really matter.

Those are my opinions and preferences. Just voicing why I feel that way for me.
    1) I can only shoot about 6.0 seconds on the FAST drill. I know I can do better. Unfortunately, I cannot budget more time to take it to a higher level. It is a failing that I accept since I have put more value in other certain things.

2) Always striving for a standard higher than convention is always admirable and should be encouraged. You have clearly advocated that (ad nauseum). We all get it.

3) You are a GREAT shooter. FACT. Your videos prove it.

4) That instructor is a GREAT teacher and thinker. As he has gotten older, I'm sure his physical skills have diminished but his mind/drive to elevate others have not. If this was about cooking, his videos and personal instruction actually shows/teaches you how to make the meal and improve. Your videos shows you cooking quietly and presenting the meal to a Michelin Guide food critic who gives you the max 3 stars. A lot of flexing while setting a high standard but not a whole lot knowledge shared. You are basically virtue signaling.
    Last edited by Paul D; 01-31-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    1) I can only shoot about 6.0 seconds on the FAST drill. I know I can do better. Unfortunately, I cannot budget more time to take it to a higher level. It is a failing that I accept since I have put more value in other certain things.

2) Always striving for a standard higher than convention is always admirable and should be encouraged. You have clearly advocated that (ad nauseum). We all get it.

3) You are a GREAT shooter. FACT. Your videos prove it.

4) That instructor is a GREAT teacher and thinker. As he has gotten older, I'm sure his physical skills have diminished but his mind/drive to elevate others have not. If this was about cooking, his videos and personal instruction actually shows/teaches you how to make the meal and improve. Your videos shows you cooking quietly and presenting the meal to a Michelin Guide food critic who gives you the max 3 stars. A lot of flexing while setting a high standard but not a whole lot knowledge shared. You are basically virtue signaling.
    I respect your recognizing your time and effort limitations. I think that is totally honorable and you’re a good enough shooter to defend yourself in almost all handgun scenarios.

With regard to virtue signaling, if you look at the training journal threads…

It’s about helping those who want help.

This is a one take video I did for the coaching thread to demonstrate scaling vision.

And I bought an AimCam for the express purpose of being able to coach better so people could see what I see.

And to demonstrate the difference in vision between a close versus more technical target in slo mo.

I’ve put my time and money where my mouth is to help others who want help.

If you have some time, this thread pretty much explains what I’m about.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....raining-thread

Name:  313C5437-05F0-4983-8A3A-78647A3C5A86.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  49.0 KB

User Tag List