Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kimber polymer striker fired gun Mako R7

New Kimber polymer striker fired gun Mako R7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_kXVIOev0

Anyone heard about this? I just ran across the video. Looks similar but changes the recoil system and ejection port some. Looks decent for features and size for the current trends.

It's going to be 1st striker fired gun with 1911 reliability.
    Last edited by cheby; 08-19-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    I wish they would ask PF for input on all these new guns. After we designed an excellent self defense tool, a company would be sure to sell over 350 of them.

I understand why companies are making these guns, because the guns sell. For me, when I see a gun with a 4# trigger pull sans safety, I cringe.

Did they say what it will be? There’s nothing updated on their webpage.

Disregard - obviously only social media matters anymore.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

H.O. has a bit of a size comparison:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MBRyyR3GnE

Overall, I think the R7 looks very nice, although personally I hate undercuts, so I would rather have P365. However, Kimber put the safety plunger in front, like Glock. I think it's safer on the margin. Not enough to make me reject P365, but it's safer nonetheless.

Now I can't wait to see what H&K are cooking and we're pretty much done with this until the .380 micro double stack wave.

FPNI.
    #RESIST

I had one of their Evos (Kimber Micro-sized striker, used the same magazines)...I actually kind of liked it. It was a little flippier than an all-metal pocket rocket really should have been IMO but it certainly wasn't bad or anything. It's big issue were magazines...most worked, some didn't, and it was kind of random. Having what appears to be a pretty decently constructed and appointed gun that's tied to generic shitty magazines with zero consistency or quality control...that kind of ruins the whole thing. Maybe Kimber has learned in this iteration not to do that?

I watched a couple videos on the R7 Mako today and TFB mentioned that there are 2 more manufacturers coming out with similar guns. I assume H&K and maybe Walther since they are the only two big names that don't have a gun in the category. I was trying to get a look at the workings other than the barrel lock up to see if it is Glock like or something else but didn't get a good look. The barrel lock up and lack of slide cut for chamber/slide lock up is just like the BB6 Wilhelm Bubbitz designed. If the thing works well it is the only fully lefty design so far. The flat top slide may offer less splashback on a red dot and it seems to offer the most and highest coverage of grip texturing of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    TFB mentioned that there are 2 more manufacturers coming out with similar guns. I assume H&K and maybe Walther since they are the only two big names that don't have a gun in the category.
    HK posted the patent, so let's say it's them, but I'm not sure the other is Walther. What about Beretta, CZ, FN? The warmed-up Nano that Beretta tries to pass for a quasi-APX is a single stack gun. Surely they could stand to cover that gap. CZ has RAMI no more, P10C is G19 sized (do they have P10SC?). FN is trying to milk the 509, but that's pretty much just G26 yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I was trying to get a look at the workings other than the barrel lock up to see if it is Glock like or something else but didn't get a good look. The barrel lock up and lack of slide cut for chamber/slide lock up is just like the BB6 Wilhelm Bubbitz designed.
    I think it's pretty much BB6, but Kimber glockified the thing as much as they could. For example the disassembly levers on BB6 were stolen from Walther PPQ, but Kimber reprofiled them to look like Glock. It still breaks down like BB6 - clearly Kimber were concerned with cosmetics. The striker safety button looks more Glock-like to me in Sootch's video.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 08-20-2021 at 03:29 PM.

With a couple more manufactures coming in soon there will be a lot of options if you are looking for a new carry gun. While this Kimber looks nice, it seems really close to the size and weight of a G26, but it is 1/4" narrower.

User Tag List