Thread: Trigger pull weight for self-defense semi-auto shotgun?

Trigger pull weight for self-defense semi-auto shotgun?

I've searched this forum for a recommended trigger pull weight on a self-defense semi-auto shotgun, but had no luck.
    My Benelli M4 has a trigger that breaks between 7.75 and 8 lbs. I'm going to run a red dot on it and zero it with slugs in addition to primarily using buck shot in it.
    I'd like to get the trigger pull down to around 5 lbs. Is that a bad idea for this use?

I wouldn’t mess with the trigger… I forget who said it first (LAV?), but one of the reasons that pistols are more difficult to shoot than long guns is that the trigger weight is more than the gun weighs. That’s conversely not true with most long guns and almost certainly a loaded shotgun. Especially on a gun that you may use in a defensive context, I wouldn’t monkey with the trigger.

That seems heavy to me when considering a milspec AR trigger is typically 5-6 lbs, but then I run a 7.5 lb pistol trigger
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I've searched this forum for a recommended trigger pull weight on a self-defense semi-auto shotgun, but had no luck.
    My Benelli M4 has a trigger that breaks between 7.75 and 8 lbs. I'm going to run a red dot on it and zero it with slugs in addition to primarily using buck shot in it.
    I'd like to get the trigger pull down to around 5 lbs. Is that a bad idea for this use?
    I think the consensus is going to be that you don't want to lighten that trigger if the gun is going to be used for anything besides slugs, and even then it might prove to be a hairy thing to be around.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Slap some good grease like black rifle balm on all the contact points is what I did. Ive never felt limited by the trigger on any of my m4s. Another thing you can do if you feel a little "crunch" when you squeeze the trigger with the hammer already released, os remove the trigger itself, and properly center the trigger return spring. That crunch is it not being centered for dynamic movement, and binding against the relief hole in the trigger. I doubt it makes much difference, I just hate the feel of it and always address it on guns that exhibit this.

User Tag List