Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Glock shooting -- rolling the trigger

I don't like to really modify my glocks with aftermarket parts, however some of my gen 4s had such terrible triggers I had to start experimenting with some of them. I usually like a rolling break with a glock except for the slimline glocks for some reason.

I used gen 3 smooth face triggers in my two gen 4 19s and a gen 4 g26. I also installed the lonewolf safety plungers with reduce power springs and the 3.5# connectors (the ones that have a tapered body). That gives a really nice trigger to roll all the way through from the beginning of the trigger press. The oem 3.5# connector was also much better but has more of a abrupt wall than the lonewolf connector. My g26 had the worst factory trigger and somehow it has one of the slickest triggers out of those 3 glocks.

On the slimline I actually prefer the opposite kind of trigger. I was getting a lot of lateral hits at speed, like a straight line sideways on the targets. I finally sucked it up and ordered talon grips for the g42,43,48 and installed the Vickers flat faced trigger shoes and boy did that make a huge improvement so far! I also ordered more 8# connectors for the g42 and g48. I don't know if I got a magical unicorn g43 that came with the 8# connector or what but that is probably the best stock glock trigger feel out of all three. It definitely isn't a 8 pound trigger pull, I'd say maybe 7 pounds at the most, but a very clean break. I also ordered a ny1 trigger return spring for the slimline to test out, as well as some wolff 5# striker springs and reduce power safety plunger springs.

But so far I shoot the slimline differently than a standard glock. More of a prep to the wall quick then press through the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There are many reasons for a "miss":

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2a. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil, or the sights do not return properly
    2b. Recoil timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    3a. Transition timing: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target
    3b. Transition damping: your transition wasn't 'critically damped', and you overshoot the target.
    4a. Sight alignment: sights misaligned
    4b. Sight placement: sights aligned but aimed wrong (usually looking at the wrong place on the target)

In this drill, you've got the possibility of a combination of causes. For me, when I'm shooting a transitions drill and pushing speed, my dropped points are usually due to 3a&b.

About the 1911: I'm not surprised. Did you shoot the Glock first? When you switch guns, that can introduce issues. Your brain thinks it's shooting a Glock, when you have a 1911 in your hands. It can take some time and ammo to make the switch. Some people can juggle multiple gun types, and others have more difficulty.
    Super interesting reply!

First, warmed up with and shot the CQB first and most volume for months as been through one or the other of mine. They typically have ruled all my "square range" post up and shoot drills - mostly standard exercises on a single target. Shot 19X 2nd and 43X third.

My hunch is #1 mostly (snatches of the SA trigger are thing for me when I lack patience on the sights) and perhaps 3a and 3b. I'll have this list fresh in my mind and a hard copy in my shooting logbook!

Thank you very much for this food for thought!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I don't like to really modify my glocks with aftermarket parts, however some of my gen 4s had such terrible triggers I had to start experimenting with some of them. I usually like a rolling break with a glock except for the slimline glocks for some reason.

I used gen 3 smooth face triggers in my two gen 4 19s and a gen 4 g26. I also installed the lonewolf safety plungers with reduce power springs and the 3.5# connectors (the ones that have a tapered body). That gives a really nice trigger to roll all the way through from the beginning of the trigger press. The oem 3.5# connector was also much better but has more of a abrupt wall than the lonewolf connector. My g26 had the worst factory trigger and somehow it has one of the slickest triggers out of those 3 glocks.

On the slimline I actually prefer the opposite kind of trigger. I was getting a lot of lateral hits at speed, like a straight line sideways on the targets. I finally sucked it up and ordered talon grips for the g42,43,48 and installed the Vickers flat faced trigger shoes and boy did that make a huge improvement so far! I also ordered more 8# connectors for the g42 and g48. I don't know if I got a magical unicorn g43 that came with the 8# connector or what but that is probably the best stock glock trigger feel out of all three. It definitely isn't a 8 pound trigger pull, I'd say maybe 7 pounds at the most, but a very clean break. I also ordered a ny1 trigger return spring for the slimline to test out, as well as some wolff 5# striker springs and reduce power safety plunger springs.

But so far I shoot the slimline differently than a standard glock. More of a prep to the wall quick then press through the wall.
    A couple of us on this thread (I'll resist tagging him in case I've misunderstood) have compared notes and feel the same way about the "wallish" trigger in the slimlines, as in liking their characteristics. I'm going to install that #8 (Thanks again @cornstalker !)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Recently, I have made a big performance gain in shooting the Glock, which I attribute to consciously rolling the trigger through like a DA revolver. It has helped, for example, not just my two head shots and body splits on the FASTest, but shots on the two inch dot at 10 yards fired more deliberately.

Are others consciously rolling the trigger like this when shooting the Glock?
    Yes!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

User Tag List