Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glock shooting -- rolling the trigger

Site Supporter
    nevermind

I'm partial to the LWD for getting a little more rolling break in a Gen4 Glock, although they all end up a little different, some being fantastic, others meh.

I've not managed to break one yet like TLG, but I do keep them lubed up. I have had one where whatever material it was plated with started flaking off.

Larry Vickers told me that probably 10 years ago and it helped my Glock accuracy/accuracy at speed tremendously. I basically prep through the take up and then roll the rest of the trigger pull like a mini revolver trigger. I don't do the flick reset as described earlier and instead just release to the actual reset point. Works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If you guys would like a set of trigger control and instructional drills from LAV and LAPD, PM me with your email address and I will send them to you. They are extremely valuable to learn this critical fundamental and/or to teach it.
    Pm sent Wayne. Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Minus connector, otherwise stock trigger.

Instead of taking the trigger up, working thru the creep, and breaking the shot, I am pulling through in one motion, flipping after the shot, and pulling through again as one continuous motion.
    You have made these points in a few threads but this one might have been where it all started. Am sort of bumping this for the sake of it and will try and get back with the details of my latest "a ha" moment on this that didn't manifest until I got into these Gen 5 triggers.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    You have made these points in a few threads but this one might have been where it all started. Am sort of bumping this for the sake of it and will try and get back with the details of my latest "a ha" moment on this that didn't manifest until I got into these Gen 5 triggers.
    Moving back to all Glock (final phase of debt free living for us is simplification) and wanting to dedicate this year to using a dot (G45), I'm very interested in hearing about your "a ha" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Moving back to all Glock (final phase of debt free living for us is simplification) and wanting to dedicate this year to using a dot (G45), I'm very interested in hearing about your "a ha" moment.
    Well, GJM had posted previously, maybe more than once about shooting for accuracy by not trying to stage at the trigger break but keeping the trigger moving albeit slowly, right on through the break. It didn't resonate with me when shooting Glock triggers with a distinct wall nor SA triggers. So it was in the context of shooting my 19X and G45 that had distinct to me "rolling" trigger breaks, that I was totally frustrated trying to stage them for precision shooting whereas I saw better results with continuous pressure and movement through the rolling break.

That being said, shooting so much 1911 of late (FWIW in case that habituation is a factor) I've had good luck shooting my RTF2 G17 for all tasks with its more staging Gen 3 trigger using a minus connector.

For slowfire on a B8 I probably prefer that.

Now, OTOH Sunday I was working on a technique for practicing target focused shooting vs front sight focused that @Clusterfrack had suggested. I had targets placed at 5, 10, 15 and 25 yards. I was drawing and firing a single shot at each transitioning down the line practicing keeping my visual focus on one target then to the next and just indexing the sights where I was focused. I was measuring my times and hits for multiple runs.

I was not pushing max speed but I was running each series of a draw to 4 shots in the 4's (seconds) with only occasionally hitting 5 or breaking 4.0. The timer and the pace and the target focus resulted in my not staging any shots at all but just stroking through each as I lined up my index to my focused target.

A crazy thing happened along the way shooting three pistols on this exercise: CQB, 19X and 43X

The 19X ran away with the best and most consistent hits. The most clean runs of 4 alphas. I could clearly perceive that its rolling trigger was in its element in this drill.

And the 43x next best hits and then the CQB that stood out with a few badly shanked hits like bad Cs or Ds. I was like WTF? But it was what it was.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Different pistols, and their triggers, have different characteristics. Different shooters have different types and levels of technique.

Often we observe something, and think that a certain characteristic is “it.” I have come to believe that is just phase one. Phase two starts when we push against a limit, and figure out how to overcome. So, in this case, I would be interested in how to make the 1911 perform better on this drill.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Different pistols, and their triggers, have different characteristics. Different shooters have different types and levels of technique.

I would be interested in how to make the 1911 perform better on this drill.
    I intend to find out. It should not be at any disadvantage. I mix pistols and trigger types in the same outing way too much I realize. It's born of a self created problem - wanting to be pure 1911 for carry but not wanting to slip too far with Glocks as reality keeps arguing that some days I'll be carrying a Glock.

There are many reasons for a "miss":

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2a. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil, or the sights do not return properly
    2b. Recoil timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    3a. Transition timing: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target
    3b. Transition damping: your transition wasn't 'critically damped', and you overshoot the target.
    4a. Sight alignment: sights misaligned
    4b. Sight placement: sights aligned but aimed wrong (usually looking at the wrong place on the target)

In this drill, you've got the possibility of a combination of causes. For me, when I'm shooting a transitions drill and pushing speed, my dropped points are usually due to 3a&b.

About the 1911: I'm not surprised. Did you shoot the Glock first? When you switch guns, that can introduce issues. Your brain thinks it's shooting a Glock, when you have a 1911 in your hands. It can take some time and ammo to make the switch. Some people can juggle multiple gun types, and others have more difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Well, GJM had posted previously, maybe more than once about shooting for accuracy by not trying to stage at the trigger break but keeping the trigger moving albeit slowly, right on through the break. It didn't resonate with me when shooting Glock triggers with a distinct wall nor SA triggers. So it was in the context of shooting my 19X and G45 that had distinct to me "rolling" trigger breaks, that I was totally frustrated trying to stage them for precision shooting whereas I saw better results with continuous pressure and movement through the rolling break.

That being said, shooting so much 1911 of late (FWIW in case that habituation is a factor) I've had good luck shooting my RTF2 G17 for all tasks with its more staging Gen 3 trigger using a minus connector.

For slowfire on a B8 I probably prefer that.

Now, OTOH Sunday I was working on a technique for practicing target focused shooting vs front sight focused that @Clusterfrack had suggested. I had targets placed at 5, 10, 15 and 25 yards. I was drawing and firing a single shot at each transitioning down the line practicing keeping my visual focus on one target then to the next and just indexing the sights where I was focused. I was measuring my times and hits for multiple runs.

I was not pushing max speed but I was running each series of a draw to 4 shots in the 4's (seconds) with only occasionally hitting 5 or breaking 4.0. The timer and the pace and the target focus resulted in my not staging any shots at all but just stroking through each as I lined up my index to my focused target.

A crazy thing happened along the way shooting three pistols on this exercise: CQB, 19X and 43X

The 19X ran away with the best and most consistent hits. The most clean runs of 4 alphas. I could clearly perceive that its rolling trigger was in its element in this drill.

And the 43x next best hits and then the CQB that stood out with a few badly shanked hits like bad Cs or Ds. I was like WTF? But it was what it was.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List