Thread: What shot timer has the loudest signal?

What shot timer has the loudest signal?

I'm having a challenge using par time signals with my CED-7000 when teaching or drilling a line of shooters. The shooters can hear the first beep because it's quiet, but they can't always hear the par beep even with electronic ear pro.

Is there a louder alternative out there?

I have an AMG Commander, If you can pick a smartphone sound pressure level App we can both download and use, I can take some data for you to compare to, if you like.

I can make some suggestions on Apps I’ve used previously that were close enough to reference standards from work (Metrology) for this application.

Perhaps other folks could do the same for their timers, helping you ID which one was louder than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have an AMG Commander, If you can pick a smartphone sound pressure level App we can both download and use, I can take some data for you to compare to, if you like.

I can make some suggestions on Apps I’ve used previously that were close enough to reference standards from work (Metrology) for this application.

Perhaps other folks could do the same for their timers, helping you ID which one was louder than yours.
    Or instead of the engineering version where you answer the question in the most literal way possible, you could maybe use a cheaper, faster, more practical and more useful solution that solves the problem at hand?

Name:  0D451C9D-4702-4945-9C38-D13C575464A7.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  26.4 KB

https://www.amazon.com/EARISE-T35-Sy...a-828458603252

(I don’t know if this works for the OP but since AMG commanders are on 6 month back order this might be worth it to try with his existing timer)

I think both of you just gave me some great ideas.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemonday View Post
    I'm having a challenge using par time signals with my CED-7000 when teaching or drilling a line of shooters. The shooters can hear the first beep because it's quiet, but they can't always hear the par beep even with electronic ear pro.

Is there a louder alternative out there?
    I know some timers have Bluetooth capability so they can do things like send the time directly to tablets running Practiscore. Maybe those same timers might be able to send the beep to external Bluetooth speakers? Then just turn up the volume on the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I know some timers have Bluetooth capability so they can do things like send the time directly to tablets running Practiscore. Maybe those same timers might be able to send the beep to external Bluetooth speakers? Then just turn up the volume on the speakers.
    I have a pair of AMG commanders and they’re not set up to transmit like that. You could write code and hack it but that seems unnecessarily complex.

If you were going to do that, getting an iPhone shot timer app and Bluetooth connecting to your car speakers would be the absolute cheapest way to do this with what you have.

But in my experience, the timer apps to Bluetooth speakers don’t work great because it doesn’t keep the sound transmission steady the whole time and it has to wake up and find it for each beep so there’s a little lack of fidelity.

I’d rather do shot timer with a microphone. Corded really if I wanted fidelity.

FWIW: I just did an evaluation using a smart phone App "Decibel Meter", available from the App store.

Name:  IMG_9549.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  25.5 KB

Setting is indoor, tiled room, minimal noise. I set the phone and timer face up, about 2" apart. I did two runs using several each, with the AMG Commander "beep" set to LOW and then HIGH. Results were pretty consistent:

LOW - 77 dB(z)
    HIGH - 86 dB(z)

Notes: App uses iPhone microphone; weighting filter selected was "z" (flat).

https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/pos...ncy-weightings

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    FWIW: I just did an evaluation using a smart phone App "Decibel Meter", available from the App store.

Name:  IMG_9549.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  25.5 KB

Setting is indoor, tiled room, minimal noise. I set the phone and timer face up, about 2" apart. I did two runs using several each, with the AMG Commander "beep" set to LOW and then HIGH. Results were pretty consistent:

LOW - 77 dB(z)
    HIGH - 86 dB(z)

Notes: App uses iPhone microphone; weighting filter selected was "z" (flat).

https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/pos...ncy-weightings
    So incredibly disappointed in your methodology!
    “About 2 inches?!!”

What kind of poppycock is that!

With power decrementing as a square function, I would have expected a full diagram and schematic with caliper measurements from speaker to microphone with orientation and hardness of the surface they were laying on as well as measurements to distance to the walls!

C’mon man! That’s just sloppy experimental design!

Name:  4446A68E-C095-4606-A030-4C771F3093FE.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  53.4 KB

I expected more.

Could have at least recommended opening the timer and soldering in a larger speaker / higher powered beepazoid disc.

All teasing aside, so much missing in the practical aspect.

Say it was louder.
    Is it meaningfully louder?
    How many dB would it have to be for it to be meaningfully louder?

Say it was meaningfully louder…
    Can I buy an AMG commander now?
    No? How many months? What?

Putting context into it, no commercial timer is going to be “good enough” if other gunfire is going off and you’re not right next to the timer to hear the par beep.

I can attest to the AMG commander par beep being difficult to hear at a range with active gunfire.

It really is going to have to be a significantly augmented solution in power to compete with gunfire.

Name:  2d9a59ecf2828c67b4146ac7f33015ba.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  18.6 KB

Sorry, but it had to be done!

User Tag List