Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What shot timer has the loudest signal?

  1. #1

    What shot timer has the loudest signal?

    I'm having a challenge using par time signals with my CED-7000 when teaching or drilling a line of shooters. The shooters can hear the first beep because it's quiet, but they can't always hear the par beep even with electronic ear pro.

    Is there a louder alternative out there?

  2. #2
    Chasing the Horizon RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    45°21'N 084°57'W
    I have an AMG Commander, If you can pick a smartphone sound pressure level App we can both download and use, I can take some data for you to compare to, if you like.

    I can make some suggestions on Apps I’ve used previously that were close enough to reference standards from work (Metrology) for this application.

    Perhaps other folks could do the same for their timers, helping you ID which one was louder than yours.
    “Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” -- JC Watts

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have an AMG Commander, If you can pick a smartphone sound pressure level App we can both download and use, I can take some data for you to compare to, if you like.

    I can make some suggestions on Apps I’ve used previously that were close enough to reference standards from work (Metrology) for this application.

    Perhaps other folks could do the same for their timers, helping you ID which one was louder than yours.
    Or instead of the engineering version where you answer the question in the most literal way possible, you could maybe use a cheaper, faster, more practical and more useful solution that solves the problem at hand?



    Name:  0D451C9D-4702-4945-9C38-D13C575464A7.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  26.4 KB

    https://www.amazon.com/EARISE-T35-Sy...a-828458603252

    (I don’t know if this works for the OP but since AMG commanders are on 6 month back order this might be worth it to try with his existing timer)
    Pointing at cardboard things....

  4. #4
    I think both of you just gave me some great ideas.

  5. #5
    Member John Hearne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Mississippi
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

  6. #6
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemonday View Post
    I'm having a challenge using par time signals with my CED-7000 when teaching or drilling a line of shooters. The shooters can hear the first beep because it's quiet, but they can't always hear the par beep even with electronic ear pro.

    Is there a louder alternative out there?
    I know some timers have Bluetooth capability so they can do things like send the time directly to tablets running Practiscore. Maybe those same timers might be able to send the beep to external Bluetooth speakers? Then just turn up the volume on the speakers.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I know some timers have Bluetooth capability so they can do things like send the time directly to tablets running Practiscore. Maybe those same timers might be able to send the beep to external Bluetooth speakers? Then just turn up the volume on the speakers.
    I have a pair of AMG commanders and they’re not set up to transmit like that. You could write code and hack it but that seems unnecessarily complex.

    If you were going to do that, getting an iPhone shot timer app and Bluetooth connecting to your car speakers would be the absolute cheapest way to do this with what you have.

    But in my experience, the timer apps to Bluetooth speakers don’t work great because it doesn’t keep the sound transmission steady the whole time and it has to wake up and find it for each beep so there’s a little lack of fidelity.

    I’d rather do shot timer with a microphone. Corded really if I wanted fidelity.
    Pointing at cardboard things....

  8. #8
    Chasing the Horizon RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    45°21'N 084°57'W
    FWIW: I just did an evaluation using a smart phone App "Decibel Meter", available from the App store.

    Name:  IMG_9549.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  25.5 KB

    Setting is indoor, tiled room, minimal noise. I set the phone and timer face up, about 2" apart. I did two runs using several each, with the AMG Commander "beep" set to LOW and then HIGH. Results were pretty consistent:

    LOW - 77 dB(z)
    HIGH - 86 dB(z)

    Notes: App uses iPhone microphone; weighting filter selected was "z" (flat).

    https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/pos...ncy-weightings
    “Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” -- JC Watts

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    FWIW: I just did an evaluation using a smart phone App "Decibel Meter", available from the App store.

    Name:  IMG_9549.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  25.5 KB

    Setting is indoor, tiled room, minimal noise. I set the phone and timer face up, about 2" apart. I did two runs using several each, with the AMG Commander "beep" set to LOW and then HIGH. Results were pretty consistent:

    LOW - 77 dB(z)
    HIGH - 86 dB(z)

    Notes: App uses iPhone microphone; weighting filter selected was "z" (flat).

    https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/pos...ncy-weightings
    So incredibly disappointed in your methodology!
    “About 2 inches?!!”

    What kind of poppycock is that!

    With power decrementing as a square function, I would have expected a full diagram and schematic with caliper measurements from speaker to microphone with orientation and hardness of the surface they were laying on as well as measurements to distance to the walls!

    C’mon man! That’s just sloppy experimental design!

    Name:  4446A68E-C095-4606-A030-4C771F3093FE.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  53.4 KB

    I expected more.

    Could have at least recommended opening the timer and soldering in a larger speaker / higher powered beepazoid disc.

    All teasing aside, so much missing in the practical aspect.

    Say it was louder.
    Is it meaningfully louder?
    How many dB would it have to be for it to be meaningfully louder?

    Say it was meaningfully louder…
    Can I buy an AMG commander now?
    No? How many months? What?

    Putting context into it, no commercial timer is going to be “good enough” if other gunfire is going off and you’re not right next to the timer to hear the par beep.

    I can attest to the AMG commander par beep being difficult to hear at a range with active gunfire.

    It really is going to have to be a significantly augmented solution in power to compete with gunfire.
    Pointing at cardboard things....

  10. #10
    Member DMF13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nomad
    Name:  2d9a59ecf2828c67b4146ac7f33015ba.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  18.6 KB


    Sorry, but it had to be done!
    _______________
    "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here I am. Send me." - Isaiah 6:8

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •