Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester SXP Defender

Winchester SXP Defender

My boss at the local Police Academy wants to buy some new shotguns and obviously 870s are not being made. Anyone familiar with the SXP Defender? I played w one at a Gun shop this morning and it looks like an updated version of the old 1200/1300. Anyone have one?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Some years ago I repaired a 1200/1300 for someone and my recollection was that it didn’t seem very robust internally. It’s been a long time so I don’t remember the details.

Have you talked to anyone from any vendors that might have any idea how long before 870s become available again?

I would like to hear more reports about these as well. It would be nice if there was a way for them to offer a version with a full length mag tube. Perhaps they could have the mag tube assembly installed after importing the shotguns?

Then again, I wish we could see an 8 shot Miroku produced 1300 Defender and Model 12/97 riot gun reproductions. Stupid import restrictions.

Site Supporter
    My understanding is that the SXP is Turkish manufactured and Winchester branded?

While there's always the venerable 500/590, I've become enamored with the Benelli in the last few months. I bought a Nova several months ago, then a SuperNova not long after. I've only put a coupe hundred shells through both combined, but I really like them. Stripping them down for cleaning, they seem much better built than my Mossberg, for not much $$ more.
    Last edited by kwb377; 08-17-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Run away from Turkish shotguns.

Stick to American or Italian made scatterguns. Even Chinese 870 clones and the MexiMerican Maverick 88 would be better for a fleet of training shotguns.

Good to see that. Hopefully soon we will be seeing parts show back up. I need a 20 in 20 ga barrel with the interchangeable chokes to upgrade my dads old 870.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    My boss at the local Police Academy wants to buy some new shotguns and obviously 870s are not being made.
    Curious why the Beretta 1301 is off the table.

State curriculum only does pump action shotguns. There aren’t many agencies in OH using semi-auto shotguns. I have a feeling they’ll disappear entirely from the basic academy within the next 5-10 years and be replaced by rifles.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    State curriculum only does pump action shotguns. There aren’t many agencies in OH using semi-auto shotguns. I have a feeling they’ll disappear entirely from the basic academy within the next 5-10 years and be replaced by rifles.
    Thank you, Lon. I understand now.

User Tag List