Thread: Sling Hardware: HK Hook vs AK Mash Hook vs UWL

Sling Hardware: HK Hook vs AK Mash Hook vs UWL

Let's talk about three less common sling connection systems, at least as compared to the AR platform that universally uses push button QDs these days.

The HK clip hook was originally designed by HK a long time ago for their long guns, and still exists today.

The Mash Hook, I think was either designed for the AK, or was more popularized for the AK platform.

The UWL, or Universal Wire Loop, seems like it could take the place of either an HK Clip or a Mash hook, albeit while removing any kind of QD functionality.

I've only played with the Mash Hook and the UWL and I didn't like the Mash Hook for the little bit I played with it on an AK because of the clanging of metal on metal. The HK clip hook, I've used just a few times and it seemed less clangy, I think because it's a smaller opening so less opportunity to clang and it seemed like both the metal receiving unit and the metal hook itself had very thick adonization or whatever coating on it.

The UWL is what I wound up putting on my AK after not liking the mash hook, and I never loved the UWL, maybe asthetically, it always seemed a bit ugly and seemed to torque the sling into a weird angle during storage. Maybe in use on the gun, it's no big deal. And I probably should have wrapped down the wire loop with duct tape, or if I wanted to be like a SEAL, 550 tape. I hardly shoot the AK so I only notice it in the back of the safe.

I plan to get an HK long gun and also to do more training with the AK, take a few classes over the next few years with each. So I'm planning out and researching these sling options.

Anyone with real world experience on these three that can speak to them? My experience of liking/disliking is not valid since I haven't put any time behind them.

Yes, I’ve got plenty of experience with all three.

I hate the Mash hardware. Maybe the versions I’ve used are especially flimsy and sharp, but mine are long since in the trash.

Good HK clips are solid, but I have had them come off by themselves in odd ways. Note how the HK hardware scrapes my AI chassis. If you care about that, avoid. I don’t care.

The loops are great, but take a little longer to thread the sling for attachment/detachment.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I use all three listed, but mostly have QD posts except where there is some reason than precludes them.

As Clusterfrack noted, some way, some how the legacy HK hooks will come unhooked. Not often, but twice for me. However, they are really convenient where QD doesn’t work.

MASH hooks are used on one gun… Ho-hum for me. Not enough use to hate on them, but difficult to manipulate and just as prone to bind at strange angles (if not more) than HK hooks.

A few years back, Blue Force Gear came up with a wire loop with a quasi-quick release. I found the loop length to be a little short, but does make removal of the sling easier. Not particularly fast, but nice when cleaning a rifle or other tasks.
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

I also use the UWL on an old 6720 upper. That is the shit for 2010 or so.

BlueForce Gear also makes this thing

https://www.blueforcegear.com/molded-uwl

Which is interesting. I think it's meant ot have the rear of the sling loop through that and the front a QD mount that can be clipped into it to act as a 1-2 sling kind of setup. However If you wanted to you could probably get 2 and hang both off a rifle and just use a standard QD sling at that point. No idea how that would work or look.

I have standardized on using a Uloop up front, and a QD socket on the rear.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

The BFG “belt Fed loop” is my favorite on the AK. It lays flat and doesn’t twist up the sling

http://instagram.com/p/CRGfPR8LnEe/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I tend to stick with HK style, along with 550 cord.

It is quiet, strong and easy to manipulate.

Plus on guns like ARs, it makes it easy to separate uppers and lowers for cleaning or whatever.

User Tag List