Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Near Riot Breaks Out After OIS in Anaheim...

Near Riot Breaks Out After OIS in Anaheim...

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

From what I saw, it looked like the K9 handler did not intend for the dog to attack. It looked like the officer was chasing the dog to get it under control. (still sucks that someone was bitten, but it looked like the officer was trying to restrain the dog). Toward the end of the video, the sobbing female witness stated something about the police over reacting just because someone was throwing a water bottle... Perhaps the officers opened up with "pepper balls" BECAUSE people were throwing items at the officers. Funny how no one ever get video of the crowd taunting or attacking the officers, but as so as the officers react, the cameras are rolling.

The shooting victim is known throughout the neighborhood as "Stomper"? I am sure he earned that fine nickname through a life of clean living and community service.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Yup, Gadfly, that's pretty much how I saw it as well. I especially laughed about 'Stomper' and thought the same thing.

It doesn't sound like "Stomper" was the most upstanding citizen but killing a man for running away is not a justified use of force, it's cowardice. Run him down, arrest him or canvas the community and figure out what he's up to, probably something bad, but enough to warrant a death sentance on the spot. I doubt it.

I can tell you this from living in So Cal my whole life, you never see the cops shoot white people running away. We have a pretty horrendous record of racial profiling and police abuse here (including legal gun owners). The LAPD has a "Gun Squad" that has closed all but one of the gun stores in LA City, and they routinely harass the ones in the other incorperated areas. I feel bad that they're streched thin but the answer is not draconinan tactics like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestickfilms View Post
    It doesn't sound like "Stomper" was the most upstanding citizen but killing a man for running away is not a justified use of force, it's cowardice. Run him down, arrest him or canvas the community and figure out what he's up to, probably something bad, but enough to warrant a death sentance on the spot. I doubt it.

I can tell you this from living in So Cal my whole life, you never see the cops shoot white people running away. We have a pretty horrendous record of racial profiling and police abuse here (including legal gun owners). The LAPD has a "Gun Squad" that has closed all but one of the gun stores in LA City, and they routinely harass the ones in the other incorperated areas. I feel bad that they're streched thin but the answer is not draconinan tactics like these.
    I'd like to hear more about how/why 'Stomper' ran. Regarding the LGS, why have they shut down the gun stores unless they were moving guns illegally?

By shut down I don't mean they were closed by the police, I mean they closed because the environment created buy the Police was driving away their business. As to why "Stomper" ran, unless he had a weapon and was an immediate threat I don't see how lethal force was justified.

We are diminished
    It doesn't sound like "Stomper" was the most upstanding citizen but killing a man for running away is not a justified use of force, it's cowardice.
    • What initiated the contact between "Stomper" and the police?
    • What preceded "Stomper" running from the police?
    • Was "Stomper" armed?
    • Did "Stomper" do or say anything that would lead pursuing police officers to believe he was immediately dangerous to the officers or bystanders?
    • Where was "Stomper" running from, and where was he running to?
    • Does "Stomper" have a history of violence, and particularly a history of violence against police officers?
    • Does "Stomper" have a history of being armed?
    • Finally, what is the source of your information in answering these questions?

Until you can answer these questions, calling the officers cowards and declaring the use of force unjustified are premature.

From Lawofficer.com: Late Sunday, anti-gang officers spotted a gang member in a stolen sport utility vehicle, and a brief pursuit ended when three people jumped from the SUV and ran, authorities said.

Sgt. Bob Dunn said officers were chasing the suspects on foot when one of them fired one or two rounds at an officer. The officer retuned fire, killing the gunman.

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/ne...-after-officer

Stomper, it appears, was doing a little more than running.

I kept replaying the video trying to figure out what was going on with the K9. I can't tell what happened before the dog ran up to the lady with the stroller. Either the dog was sent on someone else and found another target or it got away from the handler. She, at worst, got nipped. The guy on the ground now that was a full mouth bite. The handler lost his grip on the dog before that though.

You know if you don't want to end up in a riot with your kids don't take them to a protest in the 'hood.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 07-23-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Add word target
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

That was a seperate incident unrelated to "Stomper"...

"Hours later and several miles from the Saturday afternoon shooting, there was a second deadly Anaheim police shooting."

In regards to "Stomper"...

"Police Chief John Welter said two officers were placed on paid leave after one of them fatally shot Manuel Diaz, 24, Saturday afternoon."

"He said the officers approached three men who were acting suspiciously in an alleyway when they ran away. One of the officers chased Diaz to the front of an apartment complex where the shooting occurred."

"Welter would not say what led the officer to shoot Diaz, citing an independent investigation by the county's district attorney office. Police said Diaz was a known gang member."

Now we can't know the facts that led to the shooting, if the officers were threatend or attacked when Diaz was cornered then it may be justified but the fact that they're on leave and a DA is looking into it seems to suggest they were not fired upon and the suspects were not likely armed.

If they were credibly threatend then it was justified, if not then it was either an ND or worse and the officer(s) should answer for it.

I've got nothing aginst LEOs, the vast majority are honable public servants that do a fantastic job, I have an uncle that's a detective in SF and I work on a Police drama television show. However if you live in So Cal you know that the crime and gang plauged areas are notoriously hard to patrol. It's understandable for the officers in these areas to be more wary of gang members, but it's not OK for them to shoot first and ask questions latter or racialy profile, even if it is more expedient.

And if you don't think profiling could affect you, know that in CA if you have legally purchased a handgun that it's noted in the DMV file and shows up on the screen of the police cruiser if you get pulled over.

We are diminished
    Now we can't know the facts that led to the shooting, if the officers were threatend or attacked when Diaz was cornered then it may be justified but the fact that they're on leave and a DA is looking into it seems to suggest they were not fired upon and the suspects were not likely armed.
    What is the normal process when an officer from the department shoots someone in the line of duty? Does it include being put on paid leave? Does it spark a DA investigation?

but it's not OK for them to shoot first and ask questions latter or racialy profile, even if it is more expedient.
    Not, it's not OK for them to do that. But unless you have some facts suggesting that happened here, it's irrelevant to the thread.

User Tag List