Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson (re)enters the pump gun market

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    In Soviet Russia, you don't run around with Mosin. Mosin runs around with YOU!

A PPsH might be quite good for home defense...

I mean 800 rpm seems perfercly reasonable to me for homd defense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I mean 800 rpm seems perfercly reasonable to me for homd defense.
    Don't forget ear pro with this one.

Obviously the weakness of the shotgun is limited capacity, but other than that we've got some really good shotguns. The bullplop phenomenon seems like a kind of half assed attempt to address watching Lena Miculek run shotguns on Instagram and feeling bad about how little I drill my reloads. There's nothing to buy for that, I've tried them all.

ETA: Can I use my existing M&P backstraps with that grip though?
    Last edited by TDA; 08-18-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    A PPsH might be quite good for home defense...
    I think we should mandate a PPsH in every household.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Obviously the weakness of the shotgun is limited capacity... There's nothing to buy for that, I've tried them all.
    Where we at with mag-fed shotguns?

It has been a number of years ago but I messes around with a Saiga quite a bit. The gun had some strong points but the biggest failing was the magazine. To clarify I found that leaving a loaded mag in the gun would deform the top shell from pressure against the bottom of the bolt carrier. Once deformed the top shell would not feed. This meant constant rotation of the top round. Not a huge deal but not ideal either.

Do the mag-fed 870s and etc have the same issue?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I was moderately interested when I first saw S&W teasing something new on the ‘grams… then I was profoundly disappointed. I’ll keep my 870P SBS.

The controls, choke, and likely QC will be awesome over the KSG. That being said… not interested.

I did the KSG back when Trump got elected (along with a Tavor… that I still have). It was an ok shotgun, but had to do a lot of work to get it closer to what S&W is likely at. Biggest issue is the two tubes. Going to get to a point where you hear a click… but when you shoot traditional shotguns, that means reload. Just isn’t as beneficial unless you really train on it…

Now, someone is going to say, “it is just a quick reload.” Personally, a quick reload is me running my Remington dry, opening the action, tossing a round directly into the chamber, close the action, and shoot. That might sound like a lot, but I feel it is superior than diagnosing an empty tube in a KSG. And then you get the guys saying they will run slugs in one and buckshot in the other. That will be an interesting scenario when stress comes into the mix (worse than drawing your gun instead of the taser).

Before the KSG, I had one of those JIC Mossbergs… which was a nice idea, but Mossberg QC is on par with KelTec (the threads of the bead sight were protruding into the barrel on the Mossberg). I got rid of the KSG due to how unique it was; mainly the two tubes. An aside… the fact that I could select neither tube (selector in the center position), and that be done somewhat easily, having a gun that will not feed/function… was the death nail with that gun. I wonder if the S&W version will have a middle position where you won’t have either tube feeding. And those tube brakes to “allow” easier loading/unloading… that looks fun (heavy sarcasm).

I’ve mainly been a Remington guy. Both of my hunting shotguns are 11-87s. I have an 870 Police next to my bed, but the gun that replaced the KSG was a TAC-14. To me, rather go with something proven and I have a metric crap ton of training behind… than the “latest/greatest.”

For box magazines… hard pass. Tube designs are perfect for shotgun shells. Never had any deform in a tube before. Sort of the opposite of rifle cartridges… those are better stacked vertically than in a tube (tip/primer interaction).

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    (along with a Tavor… that I still have)
    What are your thoughts on the TS12 you kept?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Where we at with mag-fed shotguns?

It has been a number of years ago but I messes around with a Saiga quite a bit. The gun had some strong points but the biggest failing was the magazine. To clarify I found that leaving a loaded mag in the gun would deform the top shell from pressure against the bottom of the bolt carrier. Once deformed the top shell would not feed. This meant constant rotation of the top round. Not a huge deal but not ideal either.

Do the mag-fed 870s and etc have the same issue?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    The biggest issue with box mag shotgun shells is rim lock. Because the shells have a rim you have to be very careful about how the magazine is designed to prevent that and either no one is interested or no one can figure out how to do it reliably.

Ironically a drum mag or I guess I should say something along the lines of a giant revolver cylinder might work but that's going to be a cumbersome magazine to carry and reload.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    What are your thoughts on the TS12 you kept?
    Wasn’t the shotgun, but the SAR. It was a bullpup celebration. [emoji6]

Sorry if that wasn’t clear in my post.

User Tag List