Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cartridges You'd Like to See Invented or Developed

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Making it short enough to fit in a 9mm or .380 magazine would be the challenge. The only pistol I recall in .30 carbine was the AMT AutoMag III and that grip was super deep!
    At that point we'd probably be better off with a .32 ACP +P or something along those lines. .32 NAA or whatever.

With that said, you're right about unwieldy grip with a COL of 1.68. Might have to split the different and try for something like a 1.25" case and 1.5" loaded length. Or 1" case and 1.26" length that would fit in a 1911.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

7.92mm VBR and 7mm Penna
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    If I can't have the .25-20 back, I want a lightly recoiling .257 rifle round. Something like 60 grains at 2000 fps. A quiet critter getter, not really deer capable in the accepted sense of the phrase. A powder miser and large enough diameter to cast easily but small enough to also go easy on the lead supply.
    What about the .25 Hornet?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    In sticking to my odd desire to see a modern version of the old Velo Dog revolver- a small, hammerless DAO revolver with a folding trigger, it would be interesting to see an improved cartridge to be chambered in it.

Conceptually, it would be a rimmed .25acp centerfire, stretched to 22 mag length, using a lead wadcutter, with a heavier bullet and powder charge.
    Oh I would have to have one of those to play with! If nothing else I would carry it for working in the yard and shooting the occasional snake.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    How about a new shotgun round? Maybe something rimless, so it can more easily feed from detachable box magazines. Maybe there is also some way to optimize the diameter and length of the shell to get the same terminal effect as 12 GA buck, but in a smaller package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I wonder what gauge that would work out to if you cut .50 cal cases off to three inches?

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    I wonder what gauge that would work out to if you cut .50 cal cases off to three inches?
    According to this drawing—

Name:  .50 BMG Frankford Arsenal.png
Views: 216
Size:  73.1 KB

—if the case was cut off just before the case's shoulder radius (< 3.0056'') after accounting for case wall thickness, the internal diameter would be about 0.7101'' which converts to 13 gauge.

In order to make nominal 12 gauge, an ID of 0.729'' is required.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    According to this drawing—

Name:  .50 BMG Frankford Arsenal.png
Views: 216
Size:  73.1 KB

—if the case was cut off just before the case's shoulder radius (< 3.0056'') after accounting for case wall thickness, the internal diameter would be about 0.7101'' which converts to 13 gauge.

In order to make nominal 12 gauge, an ID of 0.729'' is required.
    Very interesting! It seemed like it would be pretty close, but I didn't realize it would be THAT close.

Ok, if I win the lottery I am going to have some someone build me a Saiga in 13 Gauge BAS (Browning Auto Shotgun) to experiment around with ; no rimlock, no damaged top round in the mag, load it heavy with a flightcontrol wad with a bunch of #1 buck in it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just make an internal swage to untaper the case walls a bit and open it up the 0.019" to make it 12 gauge. Seal it the 19th century brass-shell way with wax so you don't have to worry about crimp. Probably wouldn't ever have to worry about resizing the brass.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Very interesting! It seemed like it would be pretty close, but I didn't realize it would be THAT close.

Ok, if I win the lottery I am going to have some someone build me a Saiga in 13 Gauge BAS (Browning Auto Shotgun) to experiment around with ; no rimlock, no damaged top round in the mag, load it heavy with a flightcontrol wad with a bunch of #1 buck in it.
    Or, taking it the other direction (larger bore), the case could be "improved" by removing the taper from the body making it a straight wall design by carrying the rear dimension of the case (0.8030") forward to the case mouth and cutting the case at 75 mm. This would result in an inside diameter at the case mouth of 0.790" resulting in a nominal 9-gauge bore. You'd end up with a 3" 9-gauge BAS or, if you wanted to be really "European" about it, you could call it a 20x75mm.

Take that, you "10mm guys"!
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Just as well make it a special draw with thin enough walls to obturate at shotgun pressures, not so thin as to be squashed by box magazine springs.
    Headspacing?

Trivia:
    There was once a super magnum military shotgun, the shell belted to keep it out of standard guns, but still shooting regular shells if that was all you had.

Winchester once prototyped an aluminum 14 gauge shell, tested in Model 50 autos. No basewad, rose crimp on the aluminum, probably enough shorter to gain a round in tube magazine.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Just as well make it a special draw with thin enough walls to obturate at shotgun pressures, not so thin as to be squashed by box magazine springs.
    Headspacing?

Trivia:
    There was once a super magnum military shotgun, the shell belted to keep it out of standard guns, but still shooting regular shells if that was all you had.

Winchester once prototyped an aluminum 14 gauge shell, tested in Model 50 autos. No basewad, rose crimp on the aluminum, probably enough shorter to gain a round in tube magazine.
    Good stuff. I learned something, too.

User Tag List