Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartridges You'd Like to See Invented or Developed

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I'd like to see a .243 - .257 intermediate rifle round on the hotter side of life- something perhaps optimized for an AR-12.5, with higher chamber pressures than the Grendel or x39 Improved rounds. A round designed with high-BC bullets already in mind, with optimized neck length/tension, extractor rim, and body taper, working at 65-80kpsi range (and hotter is better!).

Of course, I'd like to see the magazines, rifles, bullets, etc. all show up at the same time- but this why it's an exercise in what "I'd like to see", rather than "what is can and can be".
    https://www.cartridgecollector.net/6mm-hagar

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Neato!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Large caliber rimfire.
    .17 HMR maximum is 26000 ppsi
    That would let you have full power .38 Special RF.
    Use in a revolver with switchable firing pin like S&W M 53 so you could load CF for better duty reliability.

Reading about the Marlin M92 .32 RF/CF got me thinking. .32 Long RF was 35% cheaper than.32 LC.

But automatics rule these days. Can we reinvent the inside primed centerfire for cheap practice ammunition?
    A 26000 psi 9mm would function a clean gun.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think you could play this game with anything anyone comes up with.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think you could play this game with anything anyone comes up with.
    Yep pretty much.

Invented would be tough! Virtually anything I can think of has been built already by someone. At least short of caseless or some tech we can't visualize now. So maybe I'll go with 'developed'? I'd like to see the .300 HAM'R gain a wider following, and just so we're "inventing" something maybe wildcat the case to 6.8 and 6.5 for kicks.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Trivia

"The 6mm HAGAR was derived from the 30 Remington and it has the same case head diameter as the 6.8 SPC, also a 30 Remington derivative."

In 1950 Remington wanted to introduce a new varmint round in its new 722 rifle.
    They considered basing it on the .30 Remington but concluded the head of the draw piece was too thin for the pressures envisioned, so they started from scratch, introducing the .222 Remington on its own head diameter.

But what if they had beefed up the .30 brass and necked it down? That would have produced a rimless equivalent of the .219 Zipper. Depending on length and shoulder chosen, it might have been an Improved Zipper Rimless or a Donaldson Wasp Rimless, either of substantially larger capacity than .222 or .223.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    "The 6mm HAGAR was derived from the 30 Remington and it has the same case head diameter as the 6.8 SPC, also a 30 Remington derivative."
    Just for completeness, note the .30 Remington is also the parent case for 10mm and .40 S&W.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Just for completeness, note the .30 Remington is also the parent case for 10mm and .40 S&W.
    Yes, I remember when Guns and Ammo was touting the .40 G&A, cut off .30 Remington cases in a Browning.
    They later did one with cut off .224 Weatherby and had the .40 G&A Belted, woo woo.

I don't know what Liebenberg used to make The Centimeter ammo. Maybe shortened 10mm by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...itical-defense

30 M1 Carbine could be used as-is (and has been) in a handgun. Or shorten the case some and use it with something like a 90gr XTP. Basically a .32 ACP Magnum.

Making it short enough to fit in a 9mm or .380 magazine would be the challenge. The only pistol I recall in .30 carbine was the AMT AutoMag III and that grip was super deep!

User Tag List