Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a "most comfortable" sling for toting bolt action rifles on longer treks?

Is there a "most comfortable" sling for toting bolt action rifles on longer treks?

Just had rotator cuff surgery, and generally hoping to spread out the load and minimize the effort of carrying a scoped centerfire rifle on a hunt in a few months. Is there a favored brand or type of sling that is more comfortable? Maybe even like those on golf bags that have straps over both shoulders?

Thanks in advance.

I just got a Safari Sling from Boonie Packer. I used it on a ruck the other day with a Ruger American Rimfire and was very pleased with how it carried. Granted, that’s not a very heavy rifle. I plan on trying it out with other rifles and shotguns. It has a 2” wide strap.

Site Supporter
    Older 3 point slings allow "back pack carry" where you pull both sling portions away from the gun and put one on each shoulder.

Dunno if this helps, it has been almost 20 years since I ran a three point. Our old SWAT team made their own out of webbing and buckles, could be a cheap way to figure it out, and I am sure DIY/prepper sites will have instructions.

pat

I use the same 2 point sling on my hunting rifles that I used to use on my work rifles. Both M4 type and precision type. The VTAC sling and similar versions allow you to adjust the rifle to hang in front of you when you need to use your hands, or sling it to your side. It also helps when the rifle starts wearing you down on one side. You simply switch it to another position. It is substantially more comfortable than a traditional carrying strap.

This is one of mine set up on my primary hunting rifle, a 20" T3 .308.

They also make a wider padded version, which I have on heavier rifles. I don't think I have any pictures of those at the moment. They really help a lot when wearing a pack, as you can better distribute weight, with the rifle carried across your chest horizontally, and your pack behind. When wearing it balanced like that you have the use of your hands for doing things like using binoculars and eating Snickers bars.

That would be my suggestion. A VTAC, or any brand that is similar in construction like Blue Force Gear or others. I have stuck with the VTAC since I was issued some years ago. They have always worked so I just kept using them, but from what others have stated, the other quality brands are comparable.

Site Supporter
    Last year, I got an Eberlestock for hunting. It is not really a fast-access way to carry a rifle, but it is a most comfortable way to hike and climb mountains while carrying a rifle. No dangling, banging into things, getting hung-up on things, or wearing a groove in your left shoulder and then your right. So long as your rotator cuff situation allows you to carry a pack, thus may be a useful part of your answer.

You will still want a sling for carrying it in a more accessible, ready for use situation.

I put a padded Magpul MS1 on my bolt gun. Its a straight 2 point sling, but the extra padding on it vs my old MS3 and my current Slingster on my AR is an improvement. For reference, I think my bolt gun comes in at about 14 lbs loaded.

Site Supporter
    @Lost River did you have to install side mounted qd cups or sling studs on the bolt gun stocks to accommodate the VTAC and your manner of carry?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    @Lost River did you have to install side mounted qd cups or sling studs on the bolt gun stocks to accommodate the VTAC and your manner of carry?
    Yes, I installed a side mount stud attachment. I pre-drilled the hole slightly under sized, then used a very coarse thread and little dab of Lot-Tite on the threads. I have used this same method for many years, and it works well.

Understanding slings are a personal thing, as are grips, sights and optics, I've always used a M1907 leather sling on my bolt rifles.
    Wide enough for long carry, easy enough to get into to steady a shot.
    Never liked them until my days shooting the National Matches, affixed to an M14.

How about a 70's Fudd padded 2 point? I'd be happy to send you one of these if you'd like.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List