Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G22 Malfunction

G22 Malfunction

Anyone want to try and figure this one out. Been happening quite a bit lately (3 occurances over 500 rounds)

I'll try. I'll assume it's your gun. Did you get the gun new or used? The reason I ask is because parts may have been replaced and those second parts may be causing the problem. Do you know if any parts have previously been replaced? If so, which one(s)?

One easy thing is to check first is the ejector. If possible, remove the slide (as if you were simply field stripping the gun) and compare it to another G22. Does the ejector look bent or broken? Is it loose?

I'll guess and say the problem is most likely with the extractor or extractor spring assembly. Do you know how to detail strip your slide? The problem could be the wrong extractor (or a chipped/broken one), worn extractor spring, worn or incorrect spring loaded bearing.

If you give us some additional information, I (or someone else) will tell you what to look for in those parts.

Joe Mamma

This is very common on many Glocks made since 2010 and has multiple factors, including bad extractors and ejectors.

Gun was bout new direct from Glock. It is a Gen4(can't really tell that from picture). I can detail strip (certified armorer) and all the parts on first glance appear in spec. The only thing that might be due for replacement is the RSA. It was replaced when Glock did the free exchange. Total round count on the gun is around 8k. I will detail strip again tomorrow and compare to another unfired G22.

Site Supporter
    Classic and now very common Glock extractor failure. Welcome to hell...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Save us, apex
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Gun was bout new direct from Glock. It is a Gen4(can't really tell that from picture). I can detail strip (certified armorer) and all the parts on first glance appear in spec. The only thing that might be due for replacement is the RSA. It was replaced when Glock did the free exchange. Total round count on the gun is around 8k. I will detail strip again tomorrow and compare to another unfired G22.
    Is that 8,000 rounds all on one RSA?

If so, you really need to change it.

I ran one of my 19s up to about 7,000 on one RSA and started getting stove pipes and erratic accuracy. Swapped it out and back to normal. I figure the .40 is going to wear the RSA out faster than 9mm shooting 115gr practice loads. I don't remember the interval for sure but I was thinking it was around 5,000 rounds for a recommended swap.

I would swap to a fresh RSA and check that before I started swapping any other parts.

That is total on the gun, not the RSA, but I am pretty sure the RSA is due for a change anyway. I am going to detail strip and clean it today, throw in a new RSA and hit the range this afternoon to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    That is total on the gun, not the RSA, but I am pretty sure the RSA is due for a change anyway. I am going to detail strip and clean it today, throw in a new RSA and hit the range this afternoon to see what happens.
    Oh.

I checked, the recommended replacement interval for 40/.357 is 3,000 rounds, it is 5,000 for 9mm. People have gone a lot longer though.

You could do the RSA check and see if it closes like it should. Mine didn't.

Let us know how it does.

User Tag List