Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A long line of family servitude to Uncle Sugar has come to an end.......

A long line of family servitude to Uncle Sugar has come to an end.......

The men in my family have done military service as far back as the Civil War, but that's now come to an end, at least for now. Today was my youngest sons last day in the Navy and he'll soon officially be a civilian. In a few days he'll be heading home, where he'll be staying with us for a while until he finds a job. (shouldn't be long, his prospects are very good with his skillset and the local job market) We'll soon have two of our three children living locally, including at least one of our grand children, which is something I never thought would happen even two years ago, but the wheel of life turned in a fortunate direction. I'm typically not inclined to dump out my man purse, but this is pretty exciting for me and I felt the need to have share time.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Outstanding. Congrats to your son.

Does he still owe time in the IRR?

Reading your post is doubly awesome because it sounds like you've successfully transitioned to being a retired guy that still has purpose. The percentage of lifelong LEOs/Mil that die within 5 years of retirement is staggering due to their loss of purpose in life/society, and it looks to me (in my layman's opinion) that you clearly won't be part of that category. So, that's a hell of an accomplishment on its own and worth taking away from all this.

Time for you to go celebrate and buy a sword or some other archaic instrument of mayhem.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

You consider the Navy to be military service?

Just kidding. Congratulations and enjoy the time with your kids and grandchildren.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Just kidding. Congratulations and enjoy the time with your kids and grandchildren.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    I can think of very few family traditions as honorable as yours. It is a credit to your ancestors to have instilled this in their line.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Outstanding. Congrats to your son.

Does he still owe time in the IRR?
    He did quite well in the Navy and I'm very proud of him. He's been in for nine years, so no time in the IRR.

Reading your post is doubly awesome because it sounds like you've successfully transitioned to being a retired guy that still has purpose. The percentage of lifelong LEOs/Mil that die within 5 years of retirement is staggering due to their loss of purpose in life/society, and it looks to me (in my layman's opinion) that you clearly won't be part of that category. So, that's a hell of an accomplishment on its own and worth taking away from all this.
    Thanks. I gave it my best, but there was always more to me than the job. When I became an old mossback I used to preach that to the younger guys I worked with. "Give it 100%, but don't let it become the center of your life. To a certain extent it becomes your identity, but don't let it become to only thing." I knew guys that didn't practice that and when it was over they acted as if they'd been cast into the wilderness, tragic. Truth is, it will eat your soul if you let it and just spit out whatever's left.

Time for you to go celebrate and buy a sword or some other archaic instrument of mayhem.
    Well, funny you should say that...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

Hey, sailor's gotta sail shipmate.

Congrats, and thank you to you and your son for your service.

Respect and thank you to you, your Son and your family Trooper

My son is also getting out of the Navy soon, and has some friends who work in the shipyards. They asked my son what he is going to do after the Navy, and he isn't sure really. They laughed and told him he'll be working with them. It's kind of a no brainer, quite good money to start.

User Tag List