Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Recoil/Hammer Spring Questions

Beretta 92 Recoil/Hammer Spring Questions

Hi, I recently purchased a Beretta 92FS and a 92X Performance.

In the 92FS I changed the Hammer Spring to a 14 lb. chrome silicon spring and added a steel guiderod and 14 lb. chrome silicon Recoil Spring. So far I’ve only fired a 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot FMJ and everything seems to be good to go. 100% reliability, deep primer strikes from the firing pin.

I did a search and reviewed the threads on reliable Beretta Hammer Spring weight so I’m comfortable with the 14 lb spring. I’ll be testing it with my carry ammo which is Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. Should I increase the Recoil Spring weight or is a 14 lb. Recoil Spring strong enough to compensate for reducing the Hammer Spring from the standard 20 lbs. down to 14 lbs.?

Also, does anyone know the standard Hammer & Recoil Spring rates for the 92FS and also the new 92X Performance?

I called Beretta USA and was on hold 30 minutes until I could talk to their service department. The guy I talked to had no idea what the standard Recoil/Hammer spring weights were and acted like it was some Top Secret information. I’ve talked to HK, Glock, S&W, Dan Wesson, CZ, etc. and they all have knowledge people that give you this information freely.

I used a Wilson Combat #14 hammer spring, and the WC rep I spoke didn’t mention anything about needing to change the recoil spring.

You're good to go.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Useful video related to part of your post. Hammer spring on newer 92's is #16 from the factory, old 92's have a #20.

Related to recoil spring, from LTT website, the factory weight is #14.

"The 12.5# should be used for EDC and the most commonly purchased. The 11.5# is typically used for competition with low-powered ammunition. The 14# Should be used in the 92 Compact and Centurion."

https://www.langdontactical.com/ltt-...recoil-spring/

Strongly recommend replacing OEM triggerbar with a LTT improved one; it's a more durable/thorough-heat treated part, and it'll allow you to use a 14# or 13# hammer spring with complete confidence, as it allows the hammer to go back further and generate a more forceful hit on the firing pin. I'm running the Wilson Chrome Silicon 14# Recoil Spring on a Beretta solid guide rod on my 92D.

As mentioned, others have successfully got down to 12# or lower, but for duty I'm sticking with 13#; I've had complete sucess with Sellier & Bellot cartridges with the 13#, and S&B's primers are some of the harder ones out there.

Check out the TJIB (Trigger Job In a Bag) on the LTT site, then check out the forum discussions and reviews.

For a long ongoing discussion, see my thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ghlight=Update

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-13-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Strongly recommend replacing OEM triggerbar with a LTT improved one; it's a more durable/thorough-heat treated part, and it'll allow you to use a 14# or 13# hammer spring with complete confidence, as it allows the hammer to go back further and generate a more forceful hit on the firing pin.

As mentioned, others have successfully got down to 12# or lower, but for duty I'm sticking with 13#; I've had complete sucess with Sellier & Bellot cartridges with the 13#, and S&B's primers are some of the harder ones out there.

Check out the TJIB (Trigger Job In a Bag) on the LTT site, then check out the forum discussions and reviews.

Best, Jon
    Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention on the standard 92FS I had my gunsmith installed the LTT trigger bar when I got the 14 lb hammer and recoil springs. Love the short reset and the DA feels smoother. Gun is back at the gunsmith getting an OEM Beretta match hammer fitted.

On LTT website and the previous post I did see mention of using a 12.5 recoil spring for EDC. Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind that or am I good just sticking with the 14 lb recoil spring for range and EDC?

Also, what the consensus on the blue plastic Wilson Shock Buffers? I bought a couple as they were cheap at $3.95 to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You're good to go.
    Would this apply to practice with FMJ as well as EDC? And if I’m going to be shooting a decent amount of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P should I increase the recoil spring weight above 14?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    Would this apply to practice with FMJ as well as EDC? And if I’m going to be shooting a decent amount of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P should I increase the recoil spring weight above 14?
    14# is good across the board for factory FMJ (115gr, 124 gr) and EDC loads (standard pressure and +P 115gr and 124 gr) in my experience.

Best, Jon

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention on the standard 92FS I had my gunsmith installed the LTT trigger bar when I got the 14 lb hammer and recoil springs. Love the short reset and the DA feels smoother. Gun is back at the gunsmith getting an OEM Beretta match hammer fitted.

On LTT website and the previous post I did see mention of using a 12.5 recoil spring for EDC. Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind that or am I good just sticking with the 14 lb recoil spring for range and EDC?

Also, what the consensus on the blue plastic Wilson Shock Buffers? I bought a couple as they were cheap at $3.95 to try out.
    I'm normally not too big on shock buffers; if you don't pay attention to them, over time thay can deteriorate, shread, and potentially jam up the gun. On 9mm, I doubt you need 'em anyhow; I'm more inclined to be a little more pre-disposed to at least considering them on .40/.357 SIG, due to their ignition characteristics (quick spiking pressure curve) and increased recoil force.

On the other hand, playing with them isn't likely to hurt anything, although with other guns using a shock buffer can make it a bit difficult to lock the slide back manually.

I would be hesitant to recommend them for EDC/duty use, though.

Best, Jon

Yep, you're good across the range. The Beretta slide doesn't have a lot of mass to it compared to other designs so frame battering typically isn't a thing. I have one particular 92 that's currently over 50k rounds with a standard weight recoil spring and a 13 pound hammer spring. All the loads fired have been in the +P range and there are no issues to report.

Forget the Shokbuff, it's a gimmic that may tie up your gun.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-13-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List