Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Competition Progress (open thread)

I went to the uspsa classifier this sunday at ccpl. Had i known it was a classifier i probably wouldnt have gone because im not a uspsa member yet. But it was still fun i guess.

I did OK on most of the stages but being a classifier they were mostly stationary shooting. Stage 5 was ridiculous. String 1: 25 yds, 6 second time limit, 3 targets, 2 shots per target, mandatory reload, 2 shots per target again, each shot fired after time limit is a procedural....not easy in 6 seconds.

What i realized after shooting was that i should have taken 6 good shots, done the reload and just stopped beforw the timer. But without really thinking it through, i did what everyone else did instead...Hose off as many as u can and wait for the beep. Which resulted in about 9 sloppy shots and 1 procedural.
    As the score card shows it was not a good stage for anyone.

http://uspsa2.org/match_results/matc...21014&club=CCP
    Last edited by sheperd80; 10-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.

My 5th uspsa was last weekend. My first ever Texas Star went fairly well. It was set at around 7 yds with no cover thankfully. I went top left right left right. Got the first 4 fast and easy without too much swinging and then stumbled on the 5th which was stationary at the bottom lol. I think i got too excited. But I still got it within the same mag so it didnt cost me an extra reload or anything.

My double taps have become more accurate thanks to some range time and an adjustment to my grip so ive started to speed up my game a little. Fiber optic sight has definitely helped with transition speed! I cant stress this enough. The red just grabs my eye so quick.

Im not a big press out guy, i typically index from the draw and the bright red sight facilitates that. But if im moving between ports, thats when i will press out because i move with the gun at high ready and it just sort of works out that way. So ill take advantage of the fact that i can see the sight before im extended. To me this makes more sense than pressing out all the time. To each his own, im still learning but right now that is my way.

Unfortunately i kinda blew a few stages due to miscounting on one (had to reload to make 1 more shot at the very end, doh!) and dropping a magazine on another. But other than that my shooting was good. I had one mike (hard cover) and only a couple charlies on each stage which i can live with.

There were a few poppers and plates which i tend to do well on. One popper didnt fall because i hit it low but they gave me credit for it because it was a little stiffer than the rest, and my club is pretty relaxed about the small stuff.

After watching the other top shooters here im starting to realize the importance of movement and transition speed. A couple charlies (even in minor pf) is a worthwhile sacrifice for a good time at my current skill level. The good shooters will do a whole array of 3-4 targets with no change in trigger speed between transitions. Its just a steady pop pop pop pop pop pop with quick movements in between.

We had some shoot on the move stuff too which ive gotten better at. Thanks to some todd jarrett vids i learned to walk with my feet in line while only my torso turns toward targets. Keeping my feet in line with each other prevents the sights from bobbing side to side as i walk.

Overall score was mediocre as usual but i attribute that to a couple screw ups more so than my overall performance. Middle of the pack is my realm for now and based on the skill of our top shooters im ok with that.

http://uspsa2.org/match_results/matc...21027&club=CCP
    Last edited by sheperd80; 11-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.

User Tag List