Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kandahar just fell

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    When does the government ever want people who can think?
    True! Yet they want us to think. Twits like AOC want us to think she was in fear for her life and fear of getting raped on Jan 6. Or the rest of them that want us to think Jan 6 was many orders of magnitude worse than the carnage and mayhem from BLM riots and looting.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Nobody should be acting like this wasn't the expected end result though....Actions, inactions and elections all have consequences...
    It’s been more or less inevitable since we let Hamid Karzai create a full-blown kleptocracy.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I thought a NG Bn was interesting, so I looked them up. At least per Wiki, the 1st of the 194th has a fairly lengthy service history. Currently equipped with two 119A3 (105mm) six gun batteries and one M777A2 (155mm) six gun battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Ba...llery_Regiment
    A big thing to note here is that all of those weapons systems and much of their support can be sling loaded under USMC aircraft if needed as well as any Army birds that come in support and that as a light Artillery unit they are probably pretty well practiced in aerial arty raids....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

If the Taliban were smart they would allow the US to get totally out of the country and avoid any armed hostilities with us. But I expect someone or some people among their bands of brigands to do stupid things that will require us to use more firepower and airstrikes which will likely escalate things by stimulating their martyr genes. We may be looking at a bigger and bloodier escalation than we have seen in the entire war.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-14-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    If the Taliban were smart they would allow the US to get totally out of the country and avoid any armed hostilities with us. But I expect someone or some people among their bands of brigands to do stupid things that will require us to use more firepower and airstrikes which will likely escalate things by stimulating their martyr genes. We may be looking at a bigger and bloodier escalation than we have seen in the entire war.
    The emergence of the Re-Surge-Ence...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it. Reading about them, it seems that part of their cultural makeup is fighting the infidels in their country. That's what gives you creds. Thus, just letting us leave doesn't do that. Many in their religious world are rooting for them to give us another black eye. That's hard to resist.

We are looking at a Saigon moment for the folks who worked for us. I don't see the time scale for a massive airlift out and we are futzing around with 'visas'. The case of the women is terrible. But their men don't care. They are OK with it.

As a side note, a Afghani baker has opened up down the road. It's getting good views. It demonstrates the principle that all we get out of our idiot wars is new fun food. The local paper just did a piece on our great Vietnamese restaurants.

Another of the many articles dumping on the Afghan armed forces: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...entagon-504469

Like this wasn't known for a long time coming.

Student
    Some of those older pictures of Afghani women and men from the 70s remind of the same with Iran.

Site Supporter
    I seem to have missed the invasion of Saudi Arabia to free their women. In another alternate universe. We are not selling the Taliban F-15s as they have no oil. Cynical me. Oh, maybe they were involved in supporting Islamic terrorism and paying for the spread of its ideology.

I once had two Saudi young women in class. Silly me asked them to discuss the role of women at home. They look like Cthulhu just materialized in front of them. Later I heard that there were others that 'watched them'. Speak out of turn and zapped back home.

I also had Iranian refugees who fled when the Shah fell. Pretty good kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I seem to have missed the invasion of Saudi Arabia to free their women.
    Zinger!

ETA: I am of a mind to endorse the Bill Rapier solution.

I mean, we were all there: we had to do *something* after 9/11. So here we are. The last 2 decades makes the Rapier idea look reasonably pragmatic.

Aaaand…. I’d search the video with Rapier in it, if I had the time right now. But since it was posted here, recently, I’m sure it will materialize shortly.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-14-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List