Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Modlite Pistol Light

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Does anyone else have durability issues with their PL350?
    I have three of them (two with PLHv2 heads, one with a PLH5K head). All together, I've shot around 7,500 rounds with them mounted on VP9s, G17s, and a G34, going back to August 2021. I did have some issues with the switches on the first one I got—I wasn't getting the positive "click" into the detent when the light was turned on. This may have actually been an issue with the ARC paddles themselves, as the light would click on without the paddles in place, but trying the light with a different set of paddles yielded the same result. Modlite sent me a replacement body which worked fine. Other than that, zero issues. I primarily use the KeepPower 18350 IMR cells sold by Modlite in these lights.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread looking for feedback on durability.

I’m apparently cursed my guns and lights…. I’ve broken multiple Glocks, and an AR, broke a Vortex Crossfire, broke 3 X300s, a TLR-1 and TLR-7…. And had issues with a PL350 in two ways on me.

My first PL350, the locking ring which holds the lens in place came loose (didn’t break the light, just kept coming back loose). Then the rocker switch slowly started to die. Eventually, when pushing the light switch on the left side down with my support thumb, the light wouldn’t come on at all.

I sent the head and body back, and was sent out a new complete light. Switching seemed better, no more mush this time, and the head wasn’t loose. Fast forward 3 weeks, and now I’m noticing significant flickering and dimming with the light. Flip it on, again pushing down on the left side, and I get some flickering. Touch the switch and now I get dimming. Happens in various other switch positions as well.

Does anyone else have durability issues with their PL350? The output on this is amazing compared to my old pistol duty lights. I work mostly afternoons into evenings, so a bright light is something I’m pretty interested in. Up until these issue I’ve been happy with the light. Modlight has offered excellent customer service, I’d just rather not be needing it.
    I have one PL350. It is on a Staccato P.

The included, plastic rail key failed. It collapsed such that it ended up rotating flat in the little well and then the light slowly slide off the gun while shooting. The relatively high clamp force and lack of lubricity between the metal clamp and metal rail were probably factors in it not just flying off. I noticed some holster fit issues during a range trip and by the end of the day, the light was about half an inch forward on the rail. Loosening the clamp screw revealed the issue. Modlite sent a replacement, metal rail key via Priority Mail.

The second failure was a switch arm that broke off. I do not know when it happened, exactly, and we never found it. Noticed it while I was getting set up to teach a night fire block. Modlite had me ship the light body back and either sent me a new or a fixed one. They provided a label to ship it back so I was not out of pocket on it, but my light was down for about a week.

3 rail key failures. Sheared off. Twice with the old version. Once with the new and “improved” version. First two failures happened after approx. 10-12K rounds. New version failed with 9K rounds of 9 mm.

I've had the 1913 rail key shear off twice now, with probably 1-2K rounds between replacements. I'm waiting on the upgraded replacement keys from Modlite right now -- we'll see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    I've had the 1913 rail key shear off twice now, with probably 1-2K rounds between replacements. I'm waiting on the upgraded replacement keys from Modlite right now -- we'll see how they do.
    I may have lost track on which version of the “upgraded” version they are on, but I’ve sheared off one set of the newest rail key already. When Modlite sent me replacement rail keys, they sent 2 of the same version that already failed…

Not to derail, but I reached out to Modlite a few months ago about any volume discounts on their heads that might be offered for my Lego builds. The response was that there was a minimum $50,000 purchase and they aren't accepting any new dealers.

I guess that was their diplomatic way of telling me to GFM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking18302 View Post
    I may have lost track on which version of the “upgraded” version they are on, but I’ve sheared off one set of the newest rail key already. When Modlite sent me replacement rail keys, they sent 2 of the same version that already failed…
    Have you received a metal one yet? My 1913 key failed and I was provided a metal replacement. It has held up, however I notice that the edges of it are pretty beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    Have you received a metal one yet? My 1913 key failed and I was provided a metal replacement. It has held up, however I notice that the edges of it are pretty beat up.
    I did receive a metal rail key, yes. It doesn’t fit in the PL350….

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I received plastic rail keys, not metal ones. They do look substantially different than the original plastic ones. I'll keep the new ones as spares until one of the original ones shears off, I reckon.

What I found with the metal rail key I received was that it fit extremely tightly to the optic body. So much so that I used the provided bolt to place the key directly straight down into the slot. I may have tapped it with a mallet. Given the varying tolerances that are out there, I could absolutely see one not fitting.

I also had a switch arm snap off on my PL350. Overall I like the light, but I am disappointed to have it go down twice.

User Tag List