Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Modlite Pistol Light

Seems the screw tighness may impact how easy the switch is to use, I will need to mess with it some more. The bottom three indents are what the ball bearing clicks into at the different positions:

I picked up a pair of these on launch day. I already have Modlite PLHv2 heads on a couple rifles so I was familiar with the output. Yeah, it really blows away the X300U with that center hotspot, though I'm interested to see how the more floody PLH5K head compares to the X300U when it comes out. I do have an original PLH5K with the old head shape, but I'm not sure if that will be identical to the Gen2 head in terms of beam.

On my VP9, the light sits just a little farther forward than the X300U did, so I had to switch out the shorter ARC switches for the longer ones (I use the short ones on X300Us). The quarter inch of extended bezel length and correspondingly longer Floodlight holster body does make a difference—I noted the holster digging into my inner thigh when seated more than the X300U Floodlight. Shifting the holster a tad more toward centerline plus adding a Mastermind pillow seems to help. I'll get over it eventually. I had the same complaint about the X300U Floodlight initially compared to the shorter TLR1 Floodlight, but I got used to it.

Interestingly, one of my two PL350 provides those nice clicking sounds when being turned on in either direction and when being turned off, while the other only clicks when being turned off. Otherwise it functions perfectly. I shot a note to Modlite customer service to see if it's cause for concern, though I'm not too worried about it.

^^^ As a not-big dude, the light bearing holster does present kind of a challenge... Too far to the right it stabs the thigh, too far to the left it will smash my bag. It's always fun to find out just how quickly I can stand back up, lol.

Well, just a few observations on the design of the detent system in the switch based on the photos from @P226SAOFan.

-The internals clarify why momentary was not included in the base design. It would be easily possible to build in a momentary function with, say, a return spring, but it would then be directional (and opposite in function on either side). Arguably, not intuitive enough under pressure for many.

-The throw weight and the haptic feedback from the switch is highly dependent on the radius of the detent position pockets as well as the bearing surface and ball spring pressure. The unused detents on their own would, for example, provide a stiffer and possibly louder function, as they don’t have radii at their bearing interface. However, they would be prone to wear without an edge break or radius, so it’s a balancing act. Similarly, a different size ball bearing would create a very different switch feel- larger would be softer in both off and on function, and smaller would be “snappier” and heaver to disengage (without any corresponding change to the detent pockets. And obviously, a heavier spring would increase throw weight a bit and create a louder action, but increase potential long term wear.

I personally think the designed throw is pretty good.

-The switch is liable to be quieter if there is a very slight edge break differential on any of the detent pockets, which may account for some reports of inconsistent behavior, but this should not affect reliability or function in any appreciable manner.

-The switch is clearly serviceable and also potentially replaceable by end users, which means different switch iterations can be user-installed in the future should Modlite choose to offer same.

-Entirely different switches (such as tape switch capable switches) are enabled by the design.

In my opinion, it is a pretty slick design out of the box, and allows for considerable further development as needed.

So, if you mounted one of these at 12:00 on a rifle rail, would the backup irons still be usable?
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    So, if you mounted one of these at 12:00 on a rifle rail, would the backup irons still be usable?
    Yes. My concern with using it in that role would be that the switch takes less force to engage than the X300 switch which would make it more likely to get accidentally engaged during transport or storage resulting in a dead battery.

If they switch turns out to actually be modular maybe someone will make one with a shroud like the one unity tactical made for the A model X300.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Yes. My concern with using it in that role would be that the switch takes less force to engage than the X300 switch which would make it more likely to get accidentally engaged during transport or storage resulting in a dead battery.

If they switch turns out to actually be modular maybe someone will make one with a shroud like the one unity tactical made for the A model X300.
    Ideally Modlite will come out with some tail cap options that include a remote pressure switch for Glock, 1911, 2011, 320 and M&P. Also a tape switch for rail use.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Ideally Modlite will come out with some tail cap options that include a remote pressure switch for Glock, 1911, 2011, 320 and M&P. Also a tape switch for rail use.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I think I remember seeing a comment from them on Instagram that they don’t have plans for a tape switch option, but that could always change if there is enough demand.

I don’t like having wires all over my guns if I can avoid it and the benefit of the X300 format at 12 o’clock is that it allows ambi operation without a tape switch. A tape switch would defeat the purpose for me and I’d rather just go with a scout light format.

I haven’t seen anything from the regarding handgun specific pressure switches. I don’t have any experience using those, but I’m sure a lot of people would welcome them.

The PL350 with the PLH5K head is available now on Modlite's website. I ordered one and will hopefully have it in a few days. IMO this head will be better suited for handgun applications. It would probably be perfect for a shotgun too.

That was quick, they were originally saying late September for that option.

User Tag List