Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Modlite Pistol Light

I'm curious how this new 5K is going to differ from the original PLHv1... My guess is that it's not any different at all. The v1 here at the house even has 5K printed on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'm curious how this new 5K is going to differ from the original PLHv1... My guess is that it's not any different at all. The v1 here at the house even has 5K printed on the head.
    Modlite says as much on their website, you are correct.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A photo I found online that helps show the PL350's overall size.

@GearFondler that is all you

Serious note I am glad to see more rechargable batter options out there for WML. Lots of interesting comments in this thread. I need to reread everything here and go play wander around the (hurricane darkened) house with my SIRT pistol with my Streamlight and Surefire lights and really rethink how I am working rocker / toggle switches.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    @GearFondler that is all you
    Pretty much, yeah.

I really, really want a PL350 but mostly because it is awesome kit. The chances I'll ever need to use my carry gun is extremely negligible... The chances I'll also need the WML is even way lower... The chances that the 500lm X300 on my Glock isn't enough but the Modlite would have made the difference? The odds approach incalculable. If I carried for a living I would have a whole different view point.
    That being said, I can justify to myself that once Henry Holster releases his Spark for the PL350 the thinner profile might make a more comfortable and concealed carry (at the expense of a little extra length). The ability to front load a rechargeable cell should also encourage me to practice more with the WML.
    But I'm not sure that's good enough to justify the expense for my lifestyle... And that probably still won't deter me, lol.

Picked up a second one today, and put a couple hundred rounds over it. Worked perfectly. Since I feel it is GTG, I’ve re-installed them on my two identical VP9 carry pistols.

I did a bunch of 10 and 15 yard failure drills today on indoor reactionary targets, and one thing I noticed is how much better it is (for me) to simply activate the light on the drawstroke rather than futz around with thumb pressure on a momentary switch, which was my habit with the X300.

When I try to run the X300 with throw vs momentary activation, it has always taken me a more deliberate action, and I often found myself see-sawing the switch on deactivation due to the weight of the throw. So I always ran the X300 on momentary, since my thumb reaches OK- but this compromised my grip slightly.

With this, I can draw and engage at full speed with the correct grip. I set a PAR of 2 seconds from the holster (AIWB concealed) for the 10 yard and 3 seconds for the 15 yard failure drills and shot clean on 19/20 runs all under par (Gunsite option target).

But here’s an interesting takeaway for me personally- running the light on every drill- the bright spot indoors in a decently lit range at 15 yards actually enhanced target focus for me while executing the shot with the dot. For me, that was a bit of a revelation.

I feel like learning occurred.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Picked up a second one today, and put a couple hundred rounds over it. Worked perfectly. Since I feel it is GTG, I’ve re-installed them on my two identical VP9 carry pistols.

I did a bunch of 10 and 15 yard failure drills today on indoor reactionary targets, and one thing I noticed is how much better it is (for me) to simply activate the light on the drawstroke rather than futz around with thumb pressure on a momentary switch, which was my habit with the X300.

When I try to run the X300 with throw vs momentary activation, it has always taken me a more deliberate action, and I often found myself see-sawing the switch on deactivation due to the weight of the throw. So I always ran the X300 on momentary, since my thumb reaches OK- but this compromised my grip slightly.

With this, I can draw and engage at full speed with the correct grip. I set a PAR of 2 seconds from the holster (AIWB concealed) for the 10 yard and 3 seconds for the 15 yard failure drills and shot clean on 19/20 runs all under par (Gunsite option target).

But here’s an interesting takeaway for me personally- running the light on every drill- the bright spot indoors in a decently lit range at 15 yards actually enhanced target focus for me while executing the shot with the dot. For me, that was a bit of a revelation.

I feel like learning occurred.
    Any more info on how this light is working on the USP FS?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modlite has revised their thoughts on direct mounting the PL350 to a HK USP. Will still need to use a pic rail adapter like the GG&G. That said I found a holster company, Midwest Tactical, doing kydex shells with SLS retention for HK USP with PL350. I have one ordered for my LTT 92/RDO and if it holds up will give the USP version a try.

http://instagram.com/p/CS7lfdQh6Dm/

https://www.mwtsmn.com/kydex-holster...rs-fkgs7-rjhsp

Had a battery failure last night while running drills with my first of two PL350’s on a compensated VP9. The light went out midway during a string of fire.

I figured the battery was just depleted (perhaps 5 minutes cumulative time on that charge, running only during strings of fire, maybe 20-30 strings), and so I dropped in another freshly charged battery (which was, of course, super-easy thanks to front-loading), and charged on with my drills. No further problems. I have several fully charged spares in my kit, as should anyone using these sorts of things.

However, when I got home and put the first battery on the charger, it was completely unresponsive. It seems that the battery must have had some sort of internal failure, or the protection circuit on it tripped. Checked with my Fluke DMM, nothing. Open circuit.

I sent Modlite CS an email at 19:23, asking if I could get a discount on a replacement- batteries are a consumable, but this one was pretty much new, having come with the light and having been put into service the last week of last month.

At 19:40, I got a shipping notification with a tracking number for a new battery at no charge, and about 30 seconds later, got an apologetic email.

An hour and a half after normal west coast business hours.

Now, in the past couple decades, I have had very, very little occasion to use anyone’s customer service. One issue with a Dainese motorcycle airbag jacket and one issue with an Apple item. The Dainese CS was terrible, and went unresolved, and the Apple CS was a bit kafkaesque, but was resolved OK.

But, I feel like Modlite provided an example of outstanding customer service, right there.

That is a bummer. Id personally prefer they came with unprotected batteries because its just one less thing to go wrong however rare an issue is.

They do offer unprotected cells, but I can understand why they would send protected cells in the box for the average user.

It’s true, that on occasion, the PCB in a protected cell can fail, as seems to be what I experienced. When this happens, the battery is essentially rendered inert (as long as it isn’t crushed, punctured or otherwise damaged).

The truth is, however, a lot MORE can go wrong with an unprotected cell in the hands of the uninitiated. Say, someone drops one into a pocket with loose rounds or change…. If a person does not fully understand and respect the energy potential in one of these cells (an 18350 has about the same thermal output as a size-C model rocket motor when shorted, in about the same time delivery and superheated gas output) it can lead to baaad things.

Do the same bonehead move with a protected cell, and you might kill it, but it probably won’t set you on fire, either.

Unprotected cells are absolutely not rated for consumer use- they are meant to be be built into battery packs with battery management controllers (as in laptop batteries, or a Tesla power pack). Surefire and Modlite sell protected cells with their gear but will work fine with unprotected cells (which Modlite also sells), while Cloud Defensive supplies unprotected cells.

Anyway, anyone running rechargeable lights needs to have multiple charged cells on hand.

User Tag List