Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modlite Pistol Light

Modlite Pistol Light

Posted on IG by Steve Fisher. No details other than a date.

Name:  FA0CE03C-8D48-42D4-8314-EAA31A7CF04E.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  18.3 KB

There are more details on Modlite IG.

For example, at launch they are only going to offer it as a complete package (no body only so you can use an existing head) and only with the PLHv2 head. Also, the switch is constant on only, which I think is a bummer.

Thanks for sharing direction to the FAQs. See below.

http://https://modlite.com/pages/getting-started-with-pl350

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    There are more details on Modlite IG.

For example, at launch they are only going to offer it as a complete package (no body only so you can use an existing head) and only with the PLHv2 head. Also, the switch is constant on only, which I think is a bummer.
    There have been a few discussions on how to get temporary, intermittent activation using the rocker switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    There have been a few discussions on how to get temporary, intermittent activation using the rocker switches.
    Erick, you have substantial depth and experience in not just working this type of thing, but an equally high amount of time teaching it to a lot of people. What do you think of the feasibility of these solutions? I tend to think doing much more than on/off can be problematic while having to assess and make decisions under pressure. Hence my preference for my lights to have a simplistic operating system -my handheld for the past 10+ years is the sadly now discontinued Quark Tactical because you can program them for different outputs. I have the initial main press as strobe, since that is what I prefer in fast moving contexts, and when there is more time (like a low pressure search) I can twist the cap 1/4 turn and it is a steady beam. And the switch is such that it is pretty easy to do a momentary light with minor pressure. I have yet to find anything that works better for me so even though the max output is 350 lumens, I have stuck with it.

I would love your thoughts on how easy it is to work the Modlite switch.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Cecil, I hope this answers your question.

The absence of a momentary feature on a pistol light may well be the M&P sear rest of the flashlight world.

With my Surefire X series lights, there are four ways to activate the light: remote switch, rotate the rocker all the up (or down) to constant on, apply lighter upper or downward pressure on the rocker to get temporary light, and, finally, push forward on the end of the rocker switch to get intermittent light.

With a Streamlight, you have a much less common remote switch that is like a DG on steroids, you can rock the righthand side switch down to constant on, or rotate the left-hand side down for temp activation, but on none of mine can I get intermittent illumination by pushing those switches forward. I checked a very old, all-plastic Streamlight M3, and it has the same switching.

So, guys who used to the Surefire X series are the ones used to an intermittent feature.

Before I get to that … would I be better off just using a handheld light and blipping it on via the tail cap switch? Am I using the temporary, intermittent activation to search? If I am, why am I not using a handheld?

I had a discussion on a podcast yesterday about compromised grips and stoppages we see on body-worn cameras during OISs. Is the temporary, intermittent feature going to compromise my shooting grip? Do I want to, or need to, compromise my grip to turn the light on for a very brief time?

To activate it with the Surefire, I either push forward with my support hand (wait, couldn't I push it down with the thumb?) or extended my trigger finger past the trigger and try activating it that way. I have short fingers & thumbs, so I'm not doing that. If you must do it with a pistol light, I'm thinking you'd be better off with just rotating the switch partially to get the temp activation that way.

I honestly don't recall if the Modlite switching will work like Surefire's – all the way up or down on either side – or like Streamlight – clockwise for constant on, counter-clockwise for temporary. For those who buy or are issued them, I imagine you'll get a pretty good idea of it quickly.

So, how easy will it be? If you start with a handheld and transition from it to the pistol light during the presentation, it should be no more or less complicated than any existing option. If one doesn't have a handheld in use and they're firing the pistol, activating the light with two hands should be pretty easy. A one-hand presentation and activating the pistol light with the shooting hand may be more difficult for a few reasons – hand size and dexterity being two.

The Modlite website has a video from Cowan on the momentary vs. constant on questions.

It's easy to imagine people trying to go for momentary activation in a high-stress situation. Given Enoka's work on NDs (inter-limb interaction, loss of balance, startle response, and trigger checking), I'd strongly argue against trying to activate your pistol light with your trigger finger. Adhere to Rule #3 and get yourself a remote switch if you're worried about turning on the light and shooting with just one hand.

Caveats to this answer: I have less than ten minutes handling an early production sample that Steve Fisher had back in April; I am not a fan of just rocker switches, having used a remote switch (tape, SL, DG) on Surefire lights for two-plus decades on-duty and this is my default set-up; and I'm not trying to sell anyone on Modlite or any other product because I'm not working for anyone other than two training companies.

Btw, Cecil is very kind.

Aside from Streamlight's Ten Tap crap, the only complex switching I've had was on my favorite but no longer made Terralux TT1 lights. Single-cell. Two buttons, one large/tall for On/Off, with a much shorter one that could shift between low, medium, and high, plus strobe. To get the strobe, one had to consciously bypass the larger/taller button. And, after numerous unintended trips through the washer, dryer I can attest they're waterproof.

I think Modlite is putting out great fighting, practical application lights, both weapon mounted and handheld. There's only one design feature on their PL350 I'm afraid I have to disagree with. If the light fits your needs, they're an excellent America-based company, buy their stuff!

Thanks Erick!
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

How does one change batteries? Unscrew the head or take the light off and dump them out the back?

I assume from looking at the photo above, the head unscrews.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I must be in the minority here but i'll voice my opinion nonetheless.

The PLHV2 is not an ideal light design for a pistol mounted white light. For me, it is far too concentrated and lacks spill which I find infinitely useful for picking up data at night.

I find the X300 and the TLR1 to be a really nice compromise between throw and spill. Neither of the lights output impressive numbers though which results in #lumenwar furor. The numbers are great and all but "better stats" do not always translate into how they're practically applied in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I must be in the minority here but i'll voice my opinion nonetheless.

The PLHV2 is not an ideal light design for a pistol mounted white light. For me, it is far too concentrated and lacks spill which I find infinitely useful for picking up data at night.

I find the X300 and the TLR1 to be a really nice compromise between throw and spill. Neither of the lights output impressive numbers though which results in #lumenwar furor. The numbers are great and all but "better stats" do not always translate into how they're practically applied in the real world.

I agree, the PLH2 is very tight, great on a carbine bur perhaps not ideal on a pistol. The original PLH is a better idea in my opinion. I have an original head, hmmmm.

User Tag List