Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Rangefinder Out to 1200 Yards

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I have the Sig as well. Very happy with it.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Much depends on atmospheric conditions. Fog, dust, drizzle, etc has an effect on performance at long range. It’s something that may not be apparent to you on a daily basis either. In other words, although today’s “foggy day” may seem like “yesterday’s foggy day”, the actual atmospheric conditions and air density may be different and have an effect.

2. The reflectivity of the object you’re zapping has an effect too. I’ve had successful hits on highly reflective targets (cars, grain elevators, A500 coated with reflective paint) but don’t think you’re gonna tag that fence post at 2000yds. See #1 too.

3. Get a tripod and a decent swivel head. Don’t go crazy cost wise, but get something that will allow you a stable, adjustable platform to aim the thing. Even pressing the button when the object is far away is a skillset.

Once you get one, the entire neighborhood will be mapped out the first day. Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Thanks for all the good feedback. Sounds like I'll look for a Sig.

Thanks.

A bump to ask for up to date suggestions, this time for someone on a modest budget. Can a reliable and accurate unit be had in the $300 price range?

Reliable in the sense of not expiring before its time. I seem to be hard on electronic things.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I have an older monocular style LRF with a 4x which got me thru shooting comps for the last few years. That said, I much prefer a binocular LRF with higher magnification. So last fall I went on the search for something I could glass with, LRF, and also spot hits on steel out to 900-1,000+ yds.

I looked at three models and got to play with them at the range:
    Leica 10x42 (can’t recall the model number). Had the best glass by far, but the slowest and most questionable ranges.

Sig Kilo 3000, 10x42 with decent glass, kind of a blue tint, can sync to a Kestrel or use the on-board BDX ballistics software out to 800 yards. Good form factor, felt good in the hand. Has the best price point of the three but is being discontinued by Sig.

Sig Kilo 10K, 10x42, about the same blue tint on the lenses, and better on-board ballistics software, weather gauges, choice of ranging reticle, and the BDX software can go beyond 800 yds. I will say that you don’t notice the blue tint unless you are going back and forth between optics. Similar form factor as the Sig 3K, but with some upgrades and supposedly can range objects further than most people would shoot at.

I went with the Sig 10K, but I will say that if you’re a glass snob stick with Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    A bump to ask for up to date suggestions, this time for someone on a modest budget. Can a reliable and accurate unit be had in the $300 price range?

Reliable in the sense of not expiring before its time. I seem to be hard on electronic things.
    I'm not an expert, but just as a data point, I ended getting a Leica CRF-2400. It's simple to use, but I get false readings. I should read the manual and see if I'm getting something wrong. I measured a target the other day that was at 35 yards. It read -10. (It puts a "-" in front of the readings.) I don't know if it had to do with some reflectivity or not.

However, it's about $250 more than the range you're looking for.

I did find out something, though - it's extremely difficult to keep it steady. Impossible when hand-held for me.

User Tag List