Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Rangefinder Out to 1200 Yards

Laser Rangefinder Out to 1200 Yards

Not sure if this should go in here, but since it's for rifle shooting...

Looking for a first LRF. Would a Vortex be a good one for 50-1000 yards or so? Would be primarily for both target shooting and hunting.

Any other good options? I saw the Vortex Fury 5000 LRF binoculars online, but read the optics are not as good for binoculars. Would be great to have a combination.

Thanks for any advice.

We have had bad luck with Vortex for Range Finders. Their warranty is great but after two failures of one of their higher end models my sense of humor wore off. Although these were used for LE sniper work they were treated well with minimum time in use. I'd go Leica or Swarovski if I had the coin.

Site Supporter
    I realize there are higher-end range finders, but I have been using a Bushnell 1200 Arc for about ten years as a hunting range finder. It is supposed to be a 1200 yard tool, but I have been able to use it for ranges much in excess of 1200 yards when conditions are perfect. When conditions are less than perfect, like most of life, it effectively ranges less, and sometimes it just cannot come close to its full rating. Under poor conditions, it might make 600. That is the nature of range finders, and was one reason why I wanted one rated far in excess of what I will ever need to shoot under normal circumstances: so that when conditions are bad, I’ll usually be able to range the distances I want to be able to shoot.

It has been entirely satisfactory for how I use it hunting deer and elk in western mountains where sight lines can be much longer than the 1200 yard rating.

I have a Leupold RX2800 I bought a couple years ago. It’s vastly superior to the Bushnell units I was issued in the 90s.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/...t-rangefinder/

Here is is article that might help. The cool ones will talk to a Kestrel, have integrated ballistics, or are integrated in binoculars.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    We have had bad luck with Vortex for Range Finders. Their warranty is great but after two failures of one of their higher end models my sense of humor wore off. Although these were used for LE sniper work they were treated well with minimum time in use. I'd go Leica or Swarovski if I had the coin.

That's surprising, but I'm not real familiar with the rangefinder world, yet. I would have expected the Vortex models to be better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/...t-rangefinder/

Here is is article that might help. The cool ones will talk to a Kestrel, have integrated ballistics, or are integrated in binoculars.
    Thanks. It's interesting that a Sig model is at the top. I would have assumed the Sigs were lower-end Chinese stuff, like their red dots.

The top end Sig RF was designed in consultation with a tier 1 sniper I know. Lots of testing and thought went into it. It’s a good unit for the money.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I got the Bushnell 1600 unit profiled there, and his test results are spot on, unlike its claimed capability, it is not really useful past 800 yards most of the time. I cannot even range an unobstructed painted white USPSA target size steel plate at 1000 on a clear day. But it was a bargain....

I have a Sig.

It replaced my older Leica, and is a very impressive piece of gear.

User Tag List