Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YHM R9?

YHM R9?

So I'm interested in suppressing a couple handguns (stock sight heights) and a couple PCCs, all 9mm. I think I'm becoming a fan of caliber-specific cans rather than all-rounders as I appreciate the optimal form factor for the specific host.

I have a TurboK which is amazing, so I'm considering the R9 pretty seriously. Admittedly, the price point is attractive. The wolf man has been highly recommended to me, but it seems a little too one-size-fits-all. And it's out of stock at Hansohn Brothers. I've also been recommended the Omega.

Rugged could be a contender.

I'd be curious to hear from any R9 owners and other 9mm silencer recommendations. My desired characteristics are durability, size, suppression, and price, in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    So I'm interested in suppressing a couple handguns (stock sight heights) and a couple PCCs, all 9mm. I think I'm becoming a fan of caliber-specific cans rather than all-rounders as I appreciate the optimal form factor for the specific host.

I have a TurboK which is amazing, so I'm considering the R9 pretty seriously. Admittedly, the price point is attractive. The wolf man has been highly recommended to me, but it seems a little too one-size-fits-all. And it's out of stock at Hansohn Brothers. I've also been recommended the Omega.

Rugged could be a contender.

I'd be curious to hear from any R9 owners and other 9mm silencer recommendations. My desired characteristics are durability, size, suppression, and price, in that order.
    The R9 is a bit larger diameter, being primarily intended for SMG/PCC use, and not handguns, according to YHM. It's going to obscure pistol sights a bit more than others intended for handguns.

I don't have direct experience with the R9 or other pistol cans ( I'm an NFA noob, with a Turbo K as well), so I can't comment otherwise.

Yes I agree that it appears more subgun specific… which could potentially work well for me. But I'd like that handgun option.

The R9 is over built for handgun use.

I would look elsewhere.

It certainly will work just fine on a handgun but given how much lead deposits in centerfire pistol caliber cans, I would want something that I can disassemble and clean.

Having said that, my buddy is running an R9 on a G19 without any real issues although it does get kinda sluggish after a few magazines.

Good points. But I am thinking 80-90% PCC is probably realistic. Thank you.

So you want some platform specific cans, @jc000?

Do you have an MP5 with a tri-lug mount?

Because I have a GSL Phoenix, but no MP5....just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. I'm in Virginia for the next week before I head back out overseas if you want to meet at ESS or even Peacemaker and test drive it on your host....or my Mk12/AEM-5 combo.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-13-2021 at 11:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I got an SP5 and APC9K with tri-lug mounts. Let's do it!

Just from my experience, Rugged has excellent customer service. They replaced an endcap of mine that had been nicked (new shooter playing with my suppressed handgun), free of charge, and also worked with me to diagnose some accuracy issues I was having with my CZ Evo with the can attached (long story short, it wasn't the can's fault). I personally would consider Rugged for any further suppressors that wouldn't be well-served by a SureFire option.

I currently own a Rugged Obsidian45 (only because they didn't have the 9 when I first bought the 45) and the Oculus22, along with multiple SureFire centerfired rifle cans. The Obsidian currently sits permanently on my CZ Evo with a 9mm endcap, Oculus22 on my CP33.

I’m mostly into rifle and rimfire suppressors so I don’t have a ton of experience w pistol suppressors. my 1 pistol can is a rugged obsidian 9 and I’m very happy with it. Definitely recommend. Hansohn brothers make an obsidian tool to make disassembly easier. I’ve got an R9 in jail right now with plans to use it with a 3 lug for PCC’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    I’m mostly into rifle and rimfire suppressors so I don’t have a ton of experience w pistol suppressors. my 1 pistol can is a rugged obsidian 9 and I’m very happy with it. Definitely recommend. Hansohn brothers make an obsidian tool to make disassembly easier. I’ve got an R9 in jail right now with plans to use it with a 3 lug for PCC’s.
    Why did you decide to go with the R9 as opposed to just using your Rugged? And why not another Rugged if you just wanted "dedicated" cans? Just curious!

User Tag List